1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Exclamation SEO effects of migration form HTML to Joomla

This is Bhanu Prasad from India, I am working in a software company as SEO, recently we have migrated our company site form HTML to JOOMLA, I want to know if this affects the site ranking and SERPS position. I have kept 301 redirections to the new site URL's.
    I also want to know if joomla is SEO friendly..?
    Please help me with this

Thanks in advance
    Bhanu Prasad
    SEO
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Well, its good that you 301s in place as that is one of the major things that need to be addressed when any URLs change.

Prior to making a significant change the implications should be considered.

There are some SEO friendly plug ins for Joomla (search Google) that make URLs friendly etc. Generally though such systems are restrictive and limit your on-page SEO.

If you have some good content and useful tools on your site that generate good links and lots of interest then you shouldn't have too much of an issue.

When ever you change URLs and 301 them you will experience a delay in the correct URLs appearing in the SERPs (around 6 months) and you will experience a drop in traffic.
  5. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by bhanuprasad
    This is Bhanu Prasad from India, I am working in a software company as SEO, recently we have migrated our company site form HTML to JOOMLA, I want to know if this affects the site ranking and SERPS position. I have kept 301 redirections to the new site URL's.
    Please help me with this

Thanks in advance
    Bhanu Prasad
    SEO

Joomla is great for this, it has awesome website structure.

There are many plugins available that will help your SEO also, I would enable SEF (search engine friendly) URL's first.

I'd take a look at the joomla.org extensions page and do a quick search of SEO plugins.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

We did exactly the same thing last year and the site has been fine with little noticable ranking change.

We use SH404SEF for generating SEO friendly urls.
  9. No Profile Picture

Smile

Originally Posted by bhanuprasad
    Please help me with this

Thanks in advance
    Bhanu Prasad
    SEO
    @bhanuprasad
    You have raised good point. When any one convert their website to joomla, there is big risk of ranking getting affected. What is important is the joomla developer must take care of all the title, meta description and meta keyword.

Also h1 tags and other onpage factors like internal linking should be taken care of when converting html website to joomla.

301 is serious matter. If we do not do 301 then there is chances that you many affect your ranking and traffic. Also back links which are already there might get wasted.

@NMMarketing
    sh404sef is good component to make your website SEO friendly. I will recomment xmap sitmap component too.

There is one component called JCrawer which create sitemap with all links to each and every article.

We have converted 100s of websites to joomla and we provide specialize service of converting html website to joomla websites. You can check more details about our service at htmltojoomla.com

Last but not the least is the content. As you convert your html website to joomla website. Webmasters can add new content very easily and this will be beneficial in the long run.

There are many good components and plugins for making the site more interactive like social networking, feedback form, polls etc.

Joomla is the best open source CMS and all the webmasters of html sites should consider converting their website to joomla.

Visit HTMLtoJoomla.com for more detailed information about our html to joomla conversion services.

Regards
    Richard
    HTMLtoJoomla.com
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

A lot depends upon the URL's that are newly constructed in Joomla. If URL's are handled properly and in SEO friendly way that of course it could have positive impact on your site's search engine ranking otherwise, it could have adverse effect in this regard.

Yes Joomla offers SEO features like URL rewriting and meta tag management. Now, it depends upon the Joomla developer that he makes effective use of these features or not.