Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thumbs up Google Indexing and Dreamweaver Please help

Ok guys, first of all, I have been browsing through your forum for some time now, and I am glad I am finally part of it. This is my first post!

Ok, let me get right to it. I have been in development of a content rich site. I use a template I developed in dreamweaver to launch all my "article" pages where i put all my content. I made sure the modify the keywords, and all the meta tags and title for all the individual articles pages. However, When I search for them using google, I see that all my articles pages have been indexed which is great! However, It is not picking up the TITLE, or any of the meta keywords/description tags of the individual article pages. It is picking up the generic ones from the dreamweaver template.

Here, check it out. go to google, and type in "creknow" then you will get about 3 results, and Ommitted results. Click on the ommited ones, and you will see 90% of all my articles that are on the site. However, they all have the same title, and keywords/description! I have a dreamweaver templates folder in my site right now, is it possible it is indexing the template default keywords/tags? I just realized this, so I removed the "templates" folder from my FTP site immediately. Hopefully it will pick up the right titles and keywords.

Thoughts??

THANKS GUYS!
    Last edited by Creknow; Jun 24th, 2007 at 01:46 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

maybe?

By the way, If you visit one of the article pages, I see that at the top of the html source it says InstanceBegin template="../Templates/articlepage.dwt""

Is it possible that it is indexing the tags and I am facing this problem because of that ../templates/articlepage.dwt"
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi Creknow,

Could this line have something to do with it?:
    <p id="slogan"><strong>The Knowledge Source For Small Commercial Real Estate Investors</strong></p>

I'm not sure, but it looks like this may be overriding your title tag.
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It's not that...
    Take a bunch of those erroneous listings and look at the cache copies... they all show the same page - except for the first line of text beneath the menu links!

The title tag of the page shown in the cache(s) is "Creknow - Knowledge Source for Commercial Real Estate Investing".

That's why they're all coming up with that title - (and will all be looking like 99% duplicate content to Google).

It's like there's some cloaking-style redirect which is serving a different page to google than to "normal browsers".

The only thing I'm wondering - since all the pages were cached on June 15th - is whether googlebot cached the pages whilst you were still creating the templates and caught you at an awkward moment!

If those pages haven't changed since June 15th, you need to find out why googlebot is being served up with a different version of the pages... (check your htaccess files or speak to your host and see if they can help)!

Whilst I was looking I notice that you have some other problems/weaknesses:

1. You need to add this to your .htaccess:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^creknow.com
    RewriteRule (.*) http://www.creknow.com/$1 [R=301,L]
    2. Your home page links are aimed at: http://www.creknow.com/index.html
    Change them all to: http://www.creknow.com/

Good luck
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ClickyB Thanks! BUt can you clarify?

To answer your question... all my article pages have changed and are now updated. However, they were updated AFTER June 15 which is when they were crawled.

But as to your point on :

"The title tag of the page shown in the cache(s) is "Creknow - Knowledge Source for Commercial Real Estate Investing".

that is not the same title. On google, its showing "Creknow - knowledge source for commercial real estate INVEST(ING), the title under the logo, which is what i am assumming your referring to is "Creknow- Knowledge srouce for commercial real estate INVEST(ORS). So i think its picking it up from somewhere, maybe the Dreamweaver template, which is the only place where the word "INVESTING" is in.

As far as the other problems, I am fixing all pointers to index.html to (creknow dot com) just like you told me but for #1:

Can you clarify what I have to do in response to you #1 point problem/weakness?

Can you please be more specific? What do i do? What do you mean?

THANKS!
  11. Super Moderator

Unhappy

Originally Posted by creknow
    the title under the logo, which is what i am assumming your referring to is "Creknow- Knowledge srouce for commercial real estate INVEST(ORS).
    No, I'm referring to the title tag shown on the page(s) which Google has cached.

Search Google for site:www.creknow.com
    The title shown for almost all your pages is:Creknow - Knowledge Source for Commercial Real Estate Investing
    Now click the "cached" link for any of those pages and you'll see where this comes from; it's nothing to do with the line of text below the image; it's the <title> tag for the cached version of all those pages.

Re the #1 "weakness"... Your site is accessible with and without the "www"... which could lead to incoming "link juice" (PR) being split over the 2 urls.
    To stop access to the "non-www" version you have to add those lines I quoted to the .htaccess file in your domain root folder; that will redirect all traffic to the url with the "www".
    Once you have added that to your domain .htaccess file & uploaded it to your server, try to access the site without the "www" and you'll see that you get redirected... and that it works for all urls.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I see...

So your saying that I should NOT allow access to the "un www version" It shoudl simply be forwarded to the www version. I think I can just call Network solutions, and have them do that...

I just looked into my htdocs folder. Which file am I looking for? Just so you know, wheni log into my ftp, i have htdocs/ as the root. Then I open htdocs, and I have many folders with other sites. including /creknow/ Sorry to be a pain in the neck, but thank you for helping me!

By the way, I just uploaded the entire site redirected to creknow not the index file.

I look forward to your reply
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I am on th ephone with Network Solutions right now, and they are uploading a .htaccess file to my root as we speak
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ClickyB: I just saw the cached version from google. and I saw the source code for all the pages, and I see the Title tag is "creknow-knowledge source for commercial real estate investing" So this means that it indexed me while i was probably in the middle of uploading the site...
  19. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Creknow
    ClickyB: I just saw the cached version from google. and I saw the source code for all the pages, and I see the Title tag is "creknow-knowledge source for commercial real estate investing" So this means that it indexed me while i was probably in the middle of uploading the site...
    That's what I thought... so damned unlucky it could've been me
    You can either wait for them to come back and re-index the site or you could - perhaps - speed things up a little by signing up for Google sitemaps and producing/submitting a sitemap to them.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Wonderful... On top of all these problems, I just spoke to network solutions, and I tried to modify the HTaccess file to get rid of the url without the www, and unfortunately, the file does not work on their servers.. Is there any other simple way to achieve the redirect? Im running a windows server. and the domains are pointed to /htdocs/creknow/

THanks!
  23. Super Moderator

Wonderful... On top of all these problems, I just spoke to network solutions, and I tried to modify the HTaccess file to get rid of the url without the www, and unfortunately, the file does not work on their servers.. Is there any other simple way to achieve the redirect? Im running a windows server. and the domains are pointed to /htdocs/creknow/

THanks!
    Hi Creknow,
    Didn't realise you were on windows - sorry!
    I believe that the windows alternative is ISAPI or IIS Rewrite ('though I'm no expert on either)!

I would recommend asking your host how to solve this (although - if you have signed up for Google sitemaps you can indicate your url preference in your webmaster control panel).
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks

I have signed up for google sitemaps, and I submitted my xml file. Everything is in order.. I will try and do this through google now. I will let you know THANKS AGAIN CLICKYB, im so glad i joined this forum.

Originally Posted by ClickyB
    Hi Creknow,
    Didn't realise you were on windows - sorry!
    I believe that the windows alternative is ISAPI or IIS Rewrite ('though I'm no expert on either)!

I would recommend asking your host how to solve this (although - if you have signed up for Google sitemaps you can indicate your url preference in your webmaster control panel).
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hey Clickyb before i forget

I submitted sitemap last night, and it already indexed some of the creknow articles THE RIGHT WAY However, I still have to click on ommitted results to see all the different article headings. For example, search for creknow, and click on ommited results, then look for an article that says on how to buy a gas station. It appears this title is correct, with the right description, but my question is, why is it still coming up as OMITTED? Does that mean that google considers it duplicate content when it is clearly not?
  29. Super Moderator

I submitted sitemap last night, and it already indexed some of the creknow articles THE RIGHT WAY However, I still have to click on ommitted results to see all the different article headings. For example, search for creknow, and click on ommited results, then look for an article that says on how to buy a gas station. It appears this title is correct, with the right description, but my question is, why is it still coming up as OMITTED? Does that mean that google considers it duplicate content when it is clearly not?
    No it's not a problem...
    When you search in the normal way for creknow - you see 2 results from your site at the top of the serps. That's the most you'll ever get (unless you get a Google sitelink).
    Also - when you search google for site:www.creknow.com you can see that the gas station url isn't coming up as a supplemental listing.
    Finally - search for creknow gas and you'll see the url at the top of the listings
    Last edited by ClickyB; Jun 25th, 2007 at 10:14 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo