1. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

SEO benefit of hosting a page for a charity.

I have a friend who is a missionary in Guatemala and she was asking me if I knew of any organizations that allow people to send in their dog's used collars, supplies, etc for her to distribute in Guatemala.

I was thinking I would put a page up for her on my site so she could give people a place to go to online to get her contact info and some basic information about her little doggie ministry.

I don't want to make any Ad money off of this, but I do think that I could get some seo benefit from this and would love any thoughts you guys have.

This is my thought:
    -Set up a page on my site with basic info for her. It would be accessed at http://mydomain.com/help_dogs_in_Guatemala.php (or whatever she is going to call this ministry).

-Set up an addthis button for users to share

My thought was that this page may attract some links which would help my SEO. It would also bring some traffic to the site as well.

My other thought was that if this worked I could offer other pet related charities a single page on my site as well.

Does anyone have any thoughts of what else I could do?

Comments on this post

• distinctseo agrees : assuming this is for an animal related website sounds like ur on the right track.
    • fourgee agrees : this should turn out very well for you and the charity... win - win
  3. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I would defo go for it, it could be a great way to a get more links and traffic but to also show people that your company is a great help to charities.

To add to your list for ways to help with seo, you could also do a news post or press release when you add a new charity to your site. So you would write an article about that charity and when your doing to help them. Gaining you not only more links but also the respect of readers for all the lovely charity work your doing
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  5. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

Excellent thanks! I've got the first site up...didn't take much time at all. So, I'll hopefully be helping animals and attracting links at the same time.

I've been considering running a charity search engine to help these charities)...i.e. one where a portion of the Ad revenue goes to charity. But, it looks like this is against Google's TOS as they're afraid of click fraud. But BING and Yahoo do allow it.
  7. Busting SEOChat Spammers!

Originally Posted by Dr.Marie
    Excellent thanks! I've got the first site up...didn't take much time at all. So, I'll hopefully be helping animals and attracting links at the same time.

I've been considering running a charity search engine to help these charities)...i.e. one where a portion of the Ad revenue goes to charity. But, it looks like this is against Google's TOS as they're afraid of click fraud. But BING and Yahoo do allow it.
    What do you mean its against google TOS? Do you mean to make that type of SE or to have their ads on it?

You can make just as much ad revenue with others then google so don't let those silly TOS put you off from starting a charity SE for those pool little animals

Another idea to get more links and maybe traffic from this, is you could contact charity sites such as the RSPCA to let them know about what your doing to see if they would be interested in linking to you to help build awareness of these smaller charities.
  9. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

What do you mean its against google TOS? Do you mean to make that type of SE or to have their ads on it?
    Here's the text from Adsense Help:

Right now, we don't offer the option to donate your AdSense earnings directly to a charity from within your account. However, once you receive your AdSense payments you're free to use your earnings as you wish.

In some instances, Google may allow publishers to donate earnings, such as in the wake of natural disasters. If this interests you, please stay tuned to the AdSense Blog and help forum where we'll announce these opportunities (note: blog and forum not available in all languages).

As a friendly reminder, if you do choose to donate your earnings, we ask that you avoid placing text on your sites saying that all or some of the ad earnings will go to charity. Because this language can draw undue attention to the ads, and since we can't verify how the earnings are ultimately used, these statements are not permitted by our program policies.
    So, basically, you can give your proceeds to charity, but you can't advertise that you are doing so.

It's good to hear that the other search engines will produce as much profit.

And thanks, Nate, I do plan on contacting the major charities with this idea too!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I'd like to give you little piece of my advice:

1) Pl. select a title of page for which is least present and most searched.
    2) Incorporate comments so that the contents keep changing daily or so
    3) Incorporate good images which will give good hits from google images etc
    4) Get this page linked from relevant authority sites
    5) Create a couple of similar topic pages which should be interlinked highlighting your main page of interest. Other pages will just increase chances of search hits leading to main page of focus.

I know you are expert, but still ... easy to forget.

Comments on this post

• NathanielB : Did you even read the question? No! Next time read before you post mate!
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I think this is very good idea all the way around. I would also make sure to have links on that page that internally link to some major sections of your site you want to highlight. Nothing crazy like a huge page of links just making sure to highlight sections of your site you really want to promote.

These type of pages tend to get links easily because of there nature. Good luck with it, and once you have the page setup let me know (via PM if you want) as I know a few people in your relevant industry (shelters, boarding, grooming) who I'm sure would love to link to stuff like this.
  15. Contributing User

Good idea but you can also create sub domain instead of http://mydomain.com/help_dogs_in_Guatemala.php IMO

Comments on this post

• fourgee : if you wanna benefit from the trust and authority from the links coming in then this is not a good idea
    • NathanielB : I dont see how making sub-domains would be of any help?!
  17. Busting SEOChat Spammers!

So, basically, you can give your proceeds to charity, but you can't advertise that you are doing so.

It's good to hear that the other search engines will produce as much profit.
    How about offering to integrate the charities adsense code into the page you create for them? Kind of like you can do with some article sites, an shared adsense revenue. That's not against the TOS is it? I ain't looked into it because I never needed to but might be another option to get more charities involved to gain some direct adsense revenue from your site.

And thanks, Nate, I do plan on contacting the major charities with this idea too!
    Yer I thought you prob would, still was worth checking

Comments on this post

• Dr.Marie agrees
  19. Busting SEOChat Spammers!

Originally Posted by serendipity22
    Good idea but you can also create sub domain instead of http://mydomain.com/help_dogs_in_Guatemala.php IMO
    I don't see how making sub-domains would be of any help?! Keeping them all in a folder of the main domain would be much better for seo.

Personally I would make a folder mysite.com/charity/ and add each charity page in that folder so easier admin and to keep as much value as possible on the main domain rather then spread it to multi sub-domains, thus giving maximum weight to the main site, which is what Marie is after.
  21. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

How about offering to integrate the charities adsense code into the page you create for them?
    That is a brilliant idea! I will definitely do this.

And no, the subdomain thing doesn't make sense. I wouldn't get any link juice on a subdomain.

I have set it up like you suggest Nate...mydomain.com/charityname
  23. Contributing User

Thumbs up

And no, the subdomain thing doesn't make sense. I wouldn't get any link juice on a subdomain.

I have set it up like you suggest Nate...mydomain.com/charityname
    Yes, virtual directory is also good idea.
  25. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Doc you definitely are getting it... these types of opportunities are fantastic for "easy" links. Consider writing a couple local papers or maybe even the humane society and see if you can get a link from them too!
    Follow me on Twitter for SEO tips @NickLeRoy