1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Schema Markup For Local Business (NAP)

Does anyone know if adding schema markup for a local business helps or contributes to better SEO?

I know schema can be great if you have recipes or events or reviews on your site, but what if they only thing you would add schema to was your NAP? Worth it or no?
  3. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

In my experience, it helps to push websites in local results and to get the knowledge graph info about your business.

You should not only add your NAP, but also company name, company logo, company description, and company social profiles, the more complete the better.

Comments on this post

• ODI agrees
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Does anyone know if adding schema markup for a local business helps or contributes to better SEO?
    To me, this is an obvious "yes" for a couple of simple, yet important reasons:

1. Schema is a way to give important information to the search engines to inform them what your page is about.
    2. Search engines look for ways to reward the efforts of SEO

for point 1 - if we know there is a way to tell a search engine about out page - why not do it?

and point 2 -just like other SEO efforts - if there's something you can do that makes search engines happy, and you can do it better/more completely than your competition, it's a good thing and an advantage you can leverage
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    -Albert Einstein
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Simply put.... Schema code is not part of Google's algo. It does however create more appealing SERP results.

Originally Posted by John Mueller
    Several Google experts including Google’s John Mueller have previously confirmed that structured data markup (of which schema markup is just one example) isn’t used in Google Rankings.

So in general, using structured data markup doesn’t directly affect your site’s ranking, so if you add this markup to your pages, and that’s something that kind of helps us to better understand your page’s content, but it’s not something that will see any drastic changes in rankings in the search results.
    -John Mueller

Comments on this post

• JohnAimit agrees