1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Root folder has a page that i no longer need will it cause a problem for google?

Hi there

I originally created a page on our site called styles.html but then thought about it and our main keyword was verandas so I made another page and spent a bit more work on the content and called it veranda.html sounds easy huh? anyway Google had already indexed styles.html but I no longer need it now and I worried if I just delete it I may loose visitors from searches directed to that page but it is a near duplicate page and I would rather get rid of it any ideas to possible problems it may cause for rankings and such?
    1 other quick question while im here if some one can help?
    I have just joined up to Google webmaster tools brilliant so far! I noticed that our site was last indexed 26th September until the other day about the 7th October it said site last indexed 2nd October but did not show until the 7th in webmaster tools why does it not just index and tell you on the day of the index? also if this is the case when should I see changes, should I have seen them on the 2nd as I have been keeping an eye out every day because I have changed an awful lot and im expecting better results but I donít know when I should see them??

Any help would be appreciated!

Chris
  3. End game expert
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by chrisby27
    Hi there

I originally created a page on our site called styles.html but then thought about it and our main keyword was verandas so I made another page and spent a bit more work on the content and called it veranda.html sounds easy huh? anyway Google had already indexed styles.html but I no longer need it now and I worried if I just delete it I may loose visitors from searches directed to that page but it is a near duplicate page and I would rather get rid of it any ideas to possible problems it may cause for rankings and such?
    1 other quick question while im here if some one can help?
    I have just joined up to Google webmaster tools brilliant so far! I noticed that our site was last indexed 26th September until the other day about the 7th October it said site last indexed 2nd October but did not show until the 7th in webmaster tools why does it not just index and tell you on the day of the index? also if this is the case when should I see changes, should I have seen them on the 2nd as I have been keeping an eye out every day because I have changed an awful lot and im expecting better results but I donít know when I should see them??

Any help would be appreciated!

Chris
    If you do not need your old page, just 301 redirect that one to your new URL. It will redirect visitors to the proper URL but you may experience some temporary ranking loss.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks for the info appreciated do i just leave it at that or is it possible to delete at some point?!
    can any body shed any light on my other question regarding google webmaster tools?

thx
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Hi chrisby,

Q1: As Emerson said, just add a 301 redirect in your domain root .htaccess file; test it (make sure it redirects properly) and then remove the page.

Q2: GWT updates are often a little "behind schedule"; doesn't mean serps aren't affected soon after the page is revisited but it's almost impossible to know since serps are constantly updated, and (obviously) not only affected by your site.

My advice would be don't sweat it; just keep improving your site and try not to look for results/movement after each little change... Otherwise you'll find yourself drawing the wrong conclusions from movement and undoing changes which are perfectly good.
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi clicky b

cheers a bit clearer now! gloucester just down the road from me droitwich
    My advice would be don't sweat it; just keep improving your site and try not to look for results/movement after each little change... Otherwise you'll find yourself drawing the wrong conclusions from movement and undoing changes which are perfectly good.
    this i find hard how do you know if you are making the right choices should i be changing a little and then waiting a few weeks to see if it has worked? I feel as if have have done almost as much as i can now other then get some good inbound links which i have a few but no where as many as people on the first page for my main search term this i find tuff half of there links i cant even see how they got the link and i feel as this is what might let me down!?
    i have tried a few seo score websites and it looks good compared to our competitors do these really give you an early indication of what you might get?

thanks for your help again

Chris
  11. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by chrisby27
    Hi clicky b

cheers a bit clearer now! gloucester just down the road from me droitwich

this i find hard how do you know if you are making the right choices should i be changing a little and then waiting a few weeks to see if it has worked? I feel as if have have done almost as much as i can now other then get some good inbound links which i have a few but no where as many as people on the first page for my main search term this i find tuff half of there links i cant even see how they got the link and i feel as this is what might let me down!?
    i have tried a few seo score websites and it looks good compared to our competitors do these really give you an early indication of what you might get?

thanks for your help again

Chris
    Hi Chris,

You're welcome... I have relatives in Droitwich!

You're right, it is difficult and most seo's/webmasters have the same problems, thus fall into the same trap when starting out!

The fact is that SEO is a 3 part thing:

1. Site Engineering/Structure.
    This is a simple matter of ensuring that everything "works properly"; SE robots see what you wish them to see, link power is not diluted by canonical issues and duplicate content is dealt with by denying robots access to all but one copy (or allowing them access but asking them not to index it), thus removing DC issues.
    2. On-Site Optimisation.
    Content, content structure, interlinking, titles, headers and all the other bits that give robots your keywords, core subject(s) and plenty of "meat" to chew on to reinforce and "pad out" the "real source" of your ranking... your incoming link anchors. (Which leads neatly on to):
    3. Off site Optimisation.
    (The most influlencial part of your optimisation efforts).
    Who links to you, what are their sites about, how they rank, what do they use as anchor text when they link to you, who links to them (and with what anchors) and which page(s) (on your site) they link to... These are the things that really determine your rankings.

In any reasonably competitive market, the belief that on-page optimisation is enough in itself to make significant changes in rankings is flawed.

With sufficient incoming links (from the right sources), you can rank well for terms and KW's you don't even mention.

Without sufficient incoming links the effects of your on-site optimisation efforts are far more difficult to see.
    Thus you can make positive changes to your site but - by falling behind your competitors in the "link war" - your site can drop, you will (naturally) attribute the drop to your changes and undo them... etc etc

Once you have generated/attracted a sufficient number of backlinks to hold a competitive spot in the results for a reasonable period of time, you will be in a position to hone your on-site optimisation and make judgements based on the consequences; until then, you risk wasting time (and undoing potentially positive changes).

As far as "on-site" is concerned, make content changes which you judge to be best for your visitors and work on generating backlinks.

There's a really useful thread here to help you in that respect.
    Last edited by ClickyB; Oct 10th, 2008 at 09:03 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks Clive

thanks a million for giving your time & knowledge i feel alot more confident now with what i have done and what i think i need to do. I read the post you gave a link to this morning and though it was very well written and quite easy to understand for a newbie like me! some very good points in there and i'm sure they will come in handy!

Thanks again Clive

Chris
    Last edited by ClickyB; Oct 10th, 2008 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Who's Dave? lol