1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Rookie Question: Page Description vs. Meta Description

I have a site and one of my categories is Solid Body which falls under Guitars then electric guitars so it is the third tier I guess you could call it (I will work on my lingo).

I don't think there is any benefit for a description next to Solid Body but I could always put in a phrase like "Shop for Solid Body Electric Guitars at Music Raiders" if I needed some more content for google and other search engines to pick up. It is not that relevant when on category pages and not individual items. All the huge companies seem to not have descriptions next to the category names or any other info regarding the categories for the most part. It seems like most of the big sites do this but I know this doesn't mean they are doing things right.

My question is if I have a meta description which I use because I want a more descriptive explanation of what the customer would be looking at from a search engine (I know not to use it to improve rankings) would this be sufficient enough for the crawlers to pick up what is on the page or is it imperative to have something on the visible page.

Does google and other search engines rank what is visible at a higher degree then what is in the meta description?

It seems like the crawlers would just crawl the code and pick up the relevant information which would include the meta description and just disregard meta keywords since people were using that tag to stuff keywords for higher rankings in the past.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by ISellGuitars; Aug 16th, 2011 at 09:29 PM.
  3. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

I was slightly confused by your question..

But your description should be written with visitors in mind, not google.
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by DarrenHaye

Does google give more value to what is visibly on the page then the meta description that is used for search engine description?

Trying to figure out what they see as more relevant
  7. -

Originally Posted by ISellGuitars
    Does google give more value to what is visibly on the page then the meta description that is used for search engine description?
    Google cares about the title and the page contents.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Google cares about the title and the page contents.
    Does the Meta Description include the page contents since it is part of the page but is no visibly seen?
  11. learn from lurking

there is always a description for anything.. I suggest to google that particular kw then lurk on the results.. You'll definitely get some ideas..
  13. -

Originally Posted by ISellGuitars
    Does the Meta Description include the page contents since it is part of the page but is no visibly seen?
    As I said, write your description for people, not for google. Google does not care about your meta description, it has no value for SEO purposes, it is there to help people searching so they will know whether your site contains what they are looking for.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

First of all Google looks for meta description tags on your page... If it thinks that information is not relevant to the page, it will pick up some relevant snippet from the page and display it as description.
    In some cases Google picks description from DMOZ directory.

As far as meta keyword tag is concerned, Google simply ignore them but other search engines do consider them.
  17. No Profile Picture

From my experience, content and description play a major part in SEO, a lot of peopel will say you dont need on page, but the fact is you do.

create good content on your pages, then us the keywords and a brief description for your meta description.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

I agreed.

As per search engine guideline, you need to build your site for Visitor not for search engine
  21. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Don't lock yourself into a box by supplying the Meta Description. Let the search engine, e.g. Google, decide what text on the page (snippet) best describes/matches the keyword(s) used by the searcher. The search engine in the search results will present to the searcher the best text, in most cases, that satisfies the keywords used in the search. In this way you will likely increase your CTR.

Exceptions: If you have a landing page with almost no text, it is entirely possible that a Meta Decription supplied by you will be better. For example: We have no Meta Descriptions on any of our pages except one. That page is a glossary front page without hardly any text that receives about 1,500 visitors per day from the SERPS primarily driven by our positioning in the SERPs and our Meta Description.

Bottomline: Try using no Meta Descriptions for a while and see if your CTR picks up on that page(s). If not, you can always add the Description once again.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

For category pages it seems to work best with meta descriptions because there is not much on the page in terms of text for the category pages but for actual product pages I am leaving the meta description blank and letting google pull the info it thinks is best. The problem I am seeing with this though is that it just pulls the headers from the first part of the page so it looks like

Kona Full Size Black Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar which is page title and then underneath it says
    My Account Customer Service Track Your Order Contact US

So the information it is pulling from the page is not of importance to what is actually on all my pages