1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Robot/spider question

:
    Over the last two days I have made changes to my site, I have noticed that google has been visiting by the date in my listing changing. This hasn't happened for the last four days though. Does this mean that the recent changes won't be picked up when the google dance happens?

I have many keywords 'child anxiety' is just one; out of 910,000 results for that keyword I am on page 1 position 8! Can anyone also tell me why I can do this with that keyword but not with the much more important ones like 'panic attacks' or 'anxiety'...it's just so frustrating and I don't really understand the technology! Thank you!
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

i would try working on your keyword density for the panic attacks page as well as the others. Make sure your other internal pages link to it with <a href="dfjfndj">Panic Attack<> in it. Keywords in anchor text are very important.

But most importantly - now adays - get external sites with a high PR to link to you. The more sites with high PR that link to you, the higher your sites PR is. The more important your pages are.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally posted by "rustybrick"

But most importantly - now adays - get external sites with a high PR to link to you. The more sites with high PR that link to you, the higher your sites PR is. The more important your pages are.
    I read this over and over again and don't doubt the importance of it...
    but where do those HIGH PR sites get this PR from then...

It's more the story of the chicken and the egg....who was there first ??

So there is more....not only links....
    regards, hans
  7. Contributing User

Originally posted by "wm_asia"

Originally Posted by rustybrick
    I read this over and over again and don't doubt the importance of it...
    but where do those HIGH PR sites get this PR from then...

It's more the story of the chicken and the egg....who was there first ??

So there is more....not only links....
    regards, hans
    I would assume that many, many sites link to the sites with the high PR. do some tests:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=link:www.wpdfd.com&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 (listed #1 for web design)
    vs.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=link:www.andromedawebdesign.co.uk&ie= UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 (listed on 361)

if our friend has optimized his site properly and he has no idea why he can't come up on top with the keyword panic attacks, then it might be b/c of PR. We all know that PR is becoming more and more important in google's 'decision' to put you at the top. type in 'web design' all those sites have high PR. by getting one of those 'resource' sites to link to yours, your PR will increase, hopefully giving you the PR to get to the top.

by the time that happens, google might decide on an other major criteria that supersedes PR in importance.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If you really want to know and have your calculator out try this page -

http://www.iprcom.com/papers/pagerank/
  11. Contributing User

in fact:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=link:www.panic-anxiety.com&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

3 links. with a PR of 4 out of 10 for the homepage and 3/10 for inner pages. that is not good.

you need to find sites that will link to you.

type in panic attacks in google and ask the sites that come up to link to you. If you provide something to them in content, services or even money, they will link to you.

start working on your linking campaign today!
  13. No Profile Picture

I know, I have spent hours upon hours writing bespoke emails to all those people who come up under 'panic attacks', it's a nightmare! I must have written 300 emails over the last two months but only about 25 responded and google has found 3! AAAAAAAHHHHH! I think I will have to buy my product, the google-anxiety is too great! Thanks for all your help folks. Charlie!
  15. SEO Freak
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Did you at the time of writing your email have a link to THEIR site somewhere on your page ;-)

In my first German language SEO newsletter I wrote an article called "Building link popularity effectively and for free."

Below is what the artical contains in english...

1. Building link popularity effectively and for free
    ================================

Never before have incoming links to a website been so important. Ever since Google came out with its PageRank (tm) algorithm and other search engines have been following suit by factoring in link popularity in their algorithms (altavista, inktomi) search engine savvy webmasteres have been looking at effective ways to build up link popularity. For Google however it wasn't (and still isn't) just the number of incoming links that was important, it was also the quality of links. Google copyrighted its technology and it is called PageRank(tm). It is not within the scope of this newsletter to go into detail about how PageRank is calculated, all that you need to know is that PageRank is an indicator of the 'value' (in Googles eyes) of a specific website based upon inbound links, and particularly, of the website from which a website comes.

So how do we know what PageRank a web site has?
    The answer is we need to download the Google toolbar to find out. This is a painless process. Simply go to toolbar.google.com, choose your preffered language and download the toolbar. Once installed you will see an extra row at the top of the browser with a search box and various other buttons and icons. The PageRank bar is clearly marked and depending on the PageRank of a website, you will see a bar filled from left to right with green. If you let your mouse hover over the bar, you will find out in numbers the PageRank of a speciofic web page. What has this got to do with Linkpopularity? Well you want as many links as possible from websites that have a lot of green in that bar!

The best links are those coming from websites with at least a PageRank of 4 (out of 10). The best links are also of the same or similar theme to the site you wish to rank well with.

Below is a 5 point plan for building effective and free link popularity...

a. Do a google search for a similarly related but not necessarily exactly the same theme as that of your own website. Check the results for those that have a directory listing (Gray link on nirmal results). eg.for the ABAKUS website a good category might be...
    http://directory.google.com/Top/World/Deutsch/Computer/Internet/Webdesign_und_-entwicklung/
    click the "Category:" link to land at the appropriate google directory.

b. One of the great things about the Google directory is that it lists websites in PageRank order. This makes the process of finding great sites to link to you that much easier.

c. Open excel or notepad and create a list of all the websites that have a PR of 4 or more. No numeric value is given on mouse over, however, you can tell from the graphical bar the actual PR value (center = PR5). Create a list of all PR 4+ websites, you should also add a column for the webmasters / contact email address.

d. Create an "other resources" or "Related Sites" webpage somewhere on your website where you list the links you have in your excell table. Of course commercial websites should not list their competitors, but web sites that compliment your own site. In the case of ABAKUS for example that would be webdesign and web hosting websites amongst others.

Once you have created a resources web page. Link up to it from your home page and place it online. What you now have should be a webpage entitled "Other Resources", or "Related Sites" with all the PR4+ websites you researched in a-c.

e. You are now ready to request the link! Keep your email short and personal. Something like what I have below should work well...

"Dear [Webmaster / Name],
    I was surfing the net and came across your web site [url]. I noticed it was a quality web site and decided to include a link in my [related sites / Other resources] list on my similarly related web site [url von link list]. I believe our web sites compliment each other well and would appreciate it if you could link back to me. The way search engines value link popularity will mean we will both benefit hopefully from higher rankings.

I look forward to your reply.

[your name]"

The above works quite well. DO visit the site and make sure you try your hardest to get a ful name to keepo the email personalized. Dear Webmaster simpl ydoesnt not have the same effect as Dear David Johnson...
    You must already have a visible link to their web site before you ask for a link yourself! This is important, A webmaster may well now feel obliged to make the effort for you. If after 1 week there is no reply or no link back to your website, send out another email asking if they received your last email mentioning that it is only fair they reciprocate the link otherwise the link space will have to go for a website that is willing to give a link back, and that the link will be removed within 3 days otherwise. Many of the webmasters you contact may not even realise they have such good PageRank and that their site has great potential to rank well because of it. Be sure to emphasise that their ranking will get a boost as well due to the link from your own website. I can almost cry when I see a website with huge PR that is in a frameset without even anything in the noframe area. It is such a waste!

You should be able, in the vast majority of themes, be able to find good link candidates and send out emails to at least 20-30 webmasters/contacts. If even only 50% of them agree to link back to you, then you are going to get a great boost in Google PageRank and in link popularity overall.

Of course your first objective is to get links from the major directories. Especially DMOZ (www.dmoz.org). Also look for smaller theme specific directories which you can submit to "keyword +directory" (or 'links' or 'category' or 'resources').

The above is really aimed at beginners but is nevertheless effective. It takes time and work but noone said getting link pop is easy.

Hope that helps
    Alan
    What is a website without traffic?
    ABAKUS Internet Marketing
  17. Contributing User

webby that is great
  19. No Profile Picture

Thank you so much! That is really useful.
  21. SEO Freak
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I'm glad you found it useful.

You dont need any software to get this part of seo right imo. All you need is a mind that can think laterally at times, google directory and a clear idea of what constitutes a similarly themed site.
  23. Contributing User

Wow!

Webby,

Thanks for the insight that article is huge!!