1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Results fluctuates each day - page 3, then page 1, then page 2....

My client's website is showing up on a different page each day over the past weekend. Friday it was on page 3, then Saturday on page 1, then Sunday on page 2 and now on Monday back to page 3.

Insight into why? The top 10 changes daily too, its not just our site. I don't have a handle on why the top 10-20 sites would be this fluid.

The site is about real estate sales in a small upscale destination island community in the US. He is a Realtor, and I am competing against the corporate national realty firms, regional and island-based big players, and local agency web sites. Much more than 10 legitimate responses to the google searches. He has a vanity domain name.

He's had a site for over 10 years, but it was not SEO optimized in the slightest. It was without the most fundamental SEO best practices.

The URL has had 2 new sites this year. Completely different URL's for individual pages. Completely different sites. A new non-SEO site was published in February, then I was hired to do a new SEO site right after that, which was published in May. The site climbed from nowhere to a consistent top of page 3 after 7 weeks or so. Then recently it has started fluctuating from page 3 to page 1. Sometimes lower.

The island is at the peak of the tourist season, and the topic is seasonal.

Google Suggest tells me that there is one dominant keyword phrase, with about 100 hits a day, and the crowded field is playing up to it.

The 5 main competitors have a site Rank of 4. We started out with a Rank of 2.

Am getting first page results in a couple of new niche topics, so I think google is paying attention to the new site.

His ISP is regional, and he sees slightly different results than I do with comcast.

My client is so disappointed each time his site falls off of page 1, and I don't have a solid explanation for him.

We've been doing selective backlinking, for example the BBB and linkedin recently.

Any insight? I would like to give him a good explanation, rather than "it takes time", and I just don't have a solid explanation.

Your time is appreciated.

-Cheers, Don
    Last edited by DonR; Aug 9th, 2010 at 01:33 PM.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Are you making sure that personalized search is turned off?
  5. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by jsteele823
    This actually happened to me, with personalized search off.

I was having the same rates, give it time. Maybe about a month.. If you've been doing good SEO then it's a sign of good things to come.

Let me ask this, before you saw this fluctuation, where were you on google? past page 3?

Comments on this post

• jsteele823 agrees : (0) It can happen without it - but I'd still check personalization first and foremost ;)
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the tip

Originally Posted by jsteele823
    It has been turned on. I logged into the client's google account and Web History was turned on. I deleted Web History.

Cool suggestion jsteele823 !
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks for replying

Originally Posted by joshz
    This actually happened to me, with personalized search off.

I was having the same rates, give it time. Maybe about a month.. If you've been doing good SEO then it's a sign of good things to come.

Let me ask this, before you saw this fluctuation, where were you on google? past page 3?
    Thanks for the reply joshz. Before the fluctuation the site was the first one on page 3 for several weeks.

I hope I've done good SEO. The site is on page 2 for Yahoo, and page 1 for Bing.
  11. SEO Consultant

Originally Posted by DonR
    Thanks for the reply joshz. Before the fluctuation the site was the first one on page 3 for several weeks.

I hope I've done good SEO. The site is on page 2 for Yahoo, and page 1 for Bing.
    Don't read this and start patting yourself on the back yet, but.. this is what happened to me right before i gained 1st page results. it would bounce around for a while, maybe a month or so and it drove me mad.. i bet if you look on this forum you can see a thread i created about it..

anyways, it's a good sign (from what i've experienced) and i THINK that it's just google recalculating your position. just keep on with the work, think of it like this.

you're jumping from pg3 to 2, to 1... it's not like you're going from pg3 to 4 or 5.. so somethings changing and it's nothing bad.
  13. No Profile Picture
    SEO Guy
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I see this question all the time and I always thought that it was common knowledge that this is just the way SERPs are in Google? I was under the impression that because it's a advanced machine, things changed daily for no reason that a non-Google employee could determine?

Sure, sometimes it could be a sign of an update on the way, or a change in the rankings for a specific kw... but I have always thought that at any given time rankings are bouncing around?
    Last edited by davidthemavin; Aug 10th, 2010 at 12:21 PM.
  15. SEO Consultant

Originally Posted by davidthemavin
    I see this question all the time and I always thought that it was common knowledge that this is just the way SERPs are in Google? I was under the impression that because it's a advanced machine, things changed daily for no reason that a non-Google employee could determine?
    i disagree. yes, there are fluctuation in serps, but not PAGES, maybe spots a few up and down, but i don't believe it would move you 20-30 results...
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Guy

Originally Posted by joshz
    i disagree. yes, there are fluctuation in serps, but not PAGES, maybe spots a few up and down, but i don't believe it would move you 20-30 results...
    I added another sentence after you quoted this, but I have seen many times that results will flux pages and pages just before they solidify and become more static regardless if you move up or down in the SERPs
  19. No Profile Picture
    SEO Guy

I know it's not "proof" but even if you look at the only true tool Google gives you you'll see that any given kw will gain impressions from a wide variety of positions:
    One Keyword:
    Position in search results Impressions CTR
    1 <10 <10 -
    2 2,400 210 9%
    3 140 <10 -
    4 110 <10 -
    5 880 46 5%
    6 to 10 210 <10 -
    2nd page 91 <10 -
    3rd page + 46 <10 -

Another kw:
    Position in search results Impressions CTR
    2 <10 <10 -
    3 <10 <10 -
    5 <10 <10 -
    6 to 10 9,900 73 1%
    2nd page 1,600 22 1%
    3rd page + 58 <10 -
    Last edited by davidthemavin; Aug 10th, 2010 at 12:27 PM.