1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Result drops for search term completely for a certain ip?

What would a reason be for a site to drop out of the results completely for a certain IP? It seems anybody else that searches for this specific term finds the website, but from a single location, that company's website doesn't show up. This isn't all the time, but sometimes.

The website has been fluctuating up/down between the first and second pages, but once in a while, the client can't see themselves in the results at all (while people outside their office can).
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Is there a large geographic difference in location? Are they using the same browser (i've seen different results between IE and FF in some instances)? It sounds like the two are simply connecting to a different datacenter. If you have firefox you can get the ip of the datacenter and check them manually to make sure that is it.
  5. No Profile Picture

There isn't a huge geographical difference. They are only about 25 miles away. They most likely would be using a different browser though (probably safari on a mac, while I have been checking with Firefox/IE on a PC).

How would I go about checking the IP of the datacenter?
  7. hctibselgoogtonmai
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by n00ge
    There isn't a huge geographical difference. They are only about 25 miles away. They most likely would be using a different browser though (probably safari on a mac, while I have been checking with Firefox/IE on a PC).

How would I go about checking the IP of the datacenter?
    The easiest way is to do a search and then mouse over the "cached" link in the results and you'll see the IP in the status bar. I'm certain you'll find your answer there as opposed to the browser or operating system.
    My Favorite Tools: Web CEO - Ranking Reports, Keyword Research, Link Analysis | Hosting.com - U.S. Windows Hosting | ISAPI Rewrite - Rewrite & Redirect for Windows
  9. seo ranter
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

More than likely the datacenters are different.

I'll sometimes see a search being handled by a different datacenter searching google.com and using the google toolbar on the same pc, same browser just a few seconds apart.
  11. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

hmmm... personal search enabled?
  13. No Profile Picture

I just found out the client is actually telling all of their staff to visit the site by searching for the specific term and clicking on their link. Could this be a reason why this is happening? I would assume this isn't good and google could think something strange is going on, but I didn't think they would drop the result entirely for that IP?
  15. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by n00ge
    I just found out the client is actually telling all of their staff to visit the site by searching for the specific term and clicking on their link. Could this be a reason why this is happening? I would assume this isn't good and google could think something strange is going on, but I didn't think they would drop the result entirely for that IP?
    NOPE... no problem there.