1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Exclamation Removing sub domain from google

Hi all,

Set up a subdomain called http://showroom.xxxxx.co.uk which was strictly set up show in surprisingly a showroom with showroom prices.

I used some code to check the IP address in the host header which then switched the baseref. The default being http://www.xxxxx.co.uk. The showroom being on a fixed IP, this seemed to be a perfect solution.

However, the showroom subdomain has shown up on Google and I have no idea how it has appeared in just a few days when it has never been promoted. I wonder if Google spidered while I was developing the code but that's all I can think of.

The question is how do I remove the subdomain listing without affecting the main site. Cos at the moment this will be counted as duplicate content etc etc plus that sub domain is supposed to be private.

HELP!

Regs,
    SiteOne
  3. Live and Learn!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

hmmmm.... this is very tricky... you cant put noindex nofollow, as that would then show up on your main page. I would suggest taking the code off completely and having it as a completely seperate sub domain. you can then remove it from the rankings by using noindex, nofollow or use a robot.txt file to disallow the robots from going to it. I would do this once the showroom no longer shows up as your main www.xxxxx.com
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by seomonkeymanocp
    hmmmm.... this is very tricky... you cant put noindex nofollow, as that would then show up on your main page. I would suggest taking the code off completely and having it as a completely seperate sub domain. you can then remove it from the rankings by using noindex, nofollow or use a robot.txt file to disallow the robots from going to it. I would do this once the showroom no longer shows up as your main www.xxxxx.com
    Cheers for the quick response its very much appreciated and yes this looks like the way to go, but I just didn't want another site to administer (being lazy - and there is always the point when you upload an updated page to one site and not the other).

I think this is the only time I've been annoyed that Google has spidered a new site!
  7. Joe
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi I had a similar problem a few weeks ago wehn our dev team set a URL live too early.

Tsolber kindly helped me find a solution.

Google offer the following advice Link

There is also the option in Google Webmaster Tools to request a URL removal.

If it is directory level specific, block it with robots.txt.

Make sure there are no live links pointing to the pages and make sure that static and XML sitemaps do not have any of the URLs on them.

Hope this helps

Cheers Joe