1. No Profile Picture

Removing "Sold" Products from website

Hi Guys,

Always great advice here, thanks for that! At the bottom of my category (Brands) pages I have a section: XYZ Sold Guitars. I left this up there because customers like to browse guitars even if they are not necessarily for sale. I also thought that it would help SEO.

However I've been advised recently to remove them because it is "hurting" my SEO because they are sold products, therefore not helpful, therefore I should remove them.

I'd love your input. Thanks, Brendan
    example below
    'heartbreakerguitars.com/product-category/acoustic-guitars/bourgeois-guitars/'
    Last edited by Hikin Mike; Feb 7th, 2018 at 02:00 PM.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Don't know too much about eCommerce, but I recall Google saying you can implement sold out, or discontinued schema in this instance, you can read more here: ItemAvailability - schema.org. I don't see a reason as to why it would be hurting your SEO to be honest, but maybe someone with more eCommerce experience will say otherwise.
    Last edited by matt1966; Feb 7th, 2018 at 09:55 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks. Anybody else have any insight??
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Who gave you that advice? No, it doesn't hurt your SEO in fact its actually good practice for a number of reasons:

1) OK - someone who finds it on Google search will be disappointed it is sold but they're in your shop and so there is a chance to sell them an alternative.

2) Someone might have bookmarked the page or linked to it and now it will only lead to a 404.

If it were a physical shop and someone came in asking about the product would you

a) say nothing because it is sold (that's what a 404 does)
    b) tell them it is sold and get on with reading the paper (that's what a product page that says 'sold' does)
    c) tell them it is sold but suggest some similar products they might like instead.

How well does your product page for a sold item do option c?
  9. No Profile Picture

I tend to agree with you. Thanks for your input...

Originally Posted by Doodled
    Who gave you that advice? No, it doesn't hurt your SEO in fact its actually good practice for a number of reasons:

1) OK - someone who finds it on Google search will be disappointed it is sold but they're in your shop and so there is a chance to sell them an alternative.

2) Someone might have bookmarked the page or linked to it and now it will only lead to a 404.

If it were a physical shop and someone came in asking about the product would you

a) say nothing because it is sold (that's what a 404 does)
    b) tell them it is sold and get on with reading the paper (that's what a product page that says 'sold' does)
    c) tell them it is sold but suggest some similar products they might like instead.

How well does your product page for a sold item do option c?