1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Removing Keyword Stuffed Content

Hi guys

OK, so I'm looking at 1 of my sites that I haven't worked on for over a year now (the shame)

A question I have is, what would happen if I remove the content that is clearly stuffed with keywords (from a previous SEO company I sacked) and replaced it with only a few lines of content, which is good quality content and not stuffed with keywords?

The site is an eCommerce site and the content is within the sub-category pages, so it will not reduce the page count

Thanks
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

How are you currently ranking?
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  5. No Profile Picture

Not so good

Google is slowly pushing the site further down, which is why I want to take action and get it complient

The keyword density is very high, and having looked at it, if I'm totally honest, almost spammy

I still hold the concern though of removing the content bulk and Google dropping us further, rather than seeing that we are improving the site

All other aspects of the sites SEO is good

So, for example, if I re-write a page that has, say, 5 paragraphs, then replace with 1 high quality paragraph sub-category description.......
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you're dropping anyway you probably dont have much to lose - I would change the content you're referring to, spammy keywording wont help you in the long run. Wait a week or so to see what effect the new content has, if you're still dropping then it probably hasnt made any difference, so try looking at your off page seo or hiring a reputable seo firm to do it for you.
  9. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

If you're falling you...

Erg. Sinclairos said it perfectly - you don't have anything to lose.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Word of caution: Google has been hitting a great many eCommerce sites recently that use generic content (e.g. the manufacturer's description) because it is seeing it as duplication.

I don't think that's right but that's how it is. So when you're re-writing your content do it yourself OR if the products are obvious branded items (say cell phones) use rich snippets to make it clear.

I would still rewrite however - Google being funny these days!
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/