1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Removing google results entirely possible?

Hi All,

I have a client who wants to remove an article about her from search results for her business. A quoted a price for moving the result onto a lower page, but she says another company have told her they'll remove the article completely for $2000.

I'm fairly new to this, so maybe there's a method I'm not aware of, but as she's already exhausted legal avenues, how could they possibly do that?

Are they perhaps putting backlinks to it from link farms and then reporting the article to google? Seems very dodgy but that's all I can think of. I'd like to be able to tell the client they are either doing something illegal or just lying to her.

Thanks
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

What's the context of the article? A bad review? Trademark infringement? etc?

Let's see what we're working with first, then we can offer a viable solution.

Lord knows I'll save the question "Why did you pick up the client if you don't know.."...
    www.joshz.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email josh@joshz.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  5. No Profile Picture

Apologies for the other thread, it didn't appear on the forum after I sent it, didn't see anything explaining why, still nothing an hour later so I gave up on it.

The article is about a minor criminal investigation into my client, completely unrelated to her business, but the article mentions her business so it shows in results.

I picked up the client on the back of some development work, and didn't see the need to point her in the direction of someone else when I'm looking to get into SEO work anyway. Thought I'd learn by doing.
  7. SEO Consultant

Is the article accurate? Defamation of character?

You really have 3 options here, per my experiences.

1.) contact a lawyer and consult about the possibility of defamation of character to have it court ordered removed
    2.) contact the site directly and manually request it be removed (assuming charges are dropped or the case is CLOSED)
    3.) create 3rd party sites, social sites, etc and optimize those for the client name/business name to PUSH DOWN the negative results in question. You would need to create multiple social profiles, blogs, etc, etc to OUTRANK the article in question. Removed? No. Pushed back a few pages? Entirely possible.
  9. No Profile Picture

I did push the first 2 options, client made it clear she'd gone as far as she could legally, she was convicted and (in the UK at least) news sites are allowed to report any details they like on someone convicted of something. The site gave her a definite no for removing it. I will try and contact them myself just in case though.

3 does sound like the only way, I'm having trouble selling it to her though when this other company is telling her they can completely remove it. What is your professional opinion on that, might they be using some dodgy tactic? Or just flat out lying?

Thanks for the advice
  11. SEO Consultant

I would ask them HOW they remove it.

But in reality, option 3 is the most realistic possibility.
  13. No Profile Picture

Yeah, I'll tell her if they can't give her a straight answer then they're most likely lying.

Thanks again