1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Removing Description Meta Tag from Home Page

Hi All

I recently removed the description tags from website pages and have let Google create it's own in the search results. I have noticed the click through on certain terms to the home page isn't great and wondered about removing the description tag for it?

The idea being Google will create something more relevant to the search terms from the content on my home page. Does this make sense or not??

Any help appreciated.
  3. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by DaveChester
    Hi All

I recently removed the description tags from website pages and have let Google create it's own in the search results. I have noticed the click through on certain terms to the home page isn't great and wondered about removing the description tag for it?

The idea being Google will create something more relevant to the search terms from the content on my home page. Does this make sense or not??

Any help appreciated.
    It may... It depends a bit on how your page is set up and what snippetts Google is choosing also.

So I think you need to do a bit of data harvesting from you analytics and test to see what the snippet quality is like on the keywords people are entering your site through.

On the whole it is only you who can compare to see if it is helping your CTR or not.
    Live the moment
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by gazzahk
    It may... It depends a bit on how your page is set up and what snippetts Google is choosing also.

So I think you need to do a bit of data harvesting from you analytics and test to see what the snippet quality is like on the keywords people are entering your site through.

On the whole it is only you who can compare to see if it is helping your CTR or not.
    Thanks - that is pretty much what I have been doing. I was just a bit nervous removing it for the home page! There is lots of content for Google to choose from so hopefully they will choose well.

Thanks for the help

Dave
  7. Banned
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Be sure to come back and let us know how it pans out.