Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Relevant links: what is relevant?

Hi,

Say I wanna optimize and rank higher for "boatinsurance" and I want to approach webmasters to place a link to my page about boatinsurances.

Do I approach themed sites about insurances or about boats? Or both?

Looking forward to your reply!

Kind regards,
    Eric
  3. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by EricWalterson
    Hi,

Say I wanna optimize and rank higher for "boatinsurance" and I want to approach webmasters to place a link to my page about boatinsurances.

Do I approach themed sites about insurances or about boats? Or both?

Looking forward to your reply!

Kind regards,
    Eric
    Both.. Also maybee fishing pages, diving pages etc

Comments on this post

• SEO_AM agrees : Anything close is relevant, e.g. sailing and marine products of all types.
    Live the moment
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks!
  7. SEO Insultant

Nice one gazza

Eric - as long as you don't focus too much on your DIRECT competitors, but stay in the "area" all the same, you'll be fine
    ... Hey you! FREE SEO report card ... I really my hosting company ...
  9. SEO bull
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by dzine
    Nice one gazza

Eric - as long as you don't focus too much on your DIRECT competitors, but stay in the "area" all the same, you'll be fine
    What is the problem with the direct competitors? Never understood this... Could you give me an explanation why to not exchange links with your competitors?
  11. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    It is likely due to the success ratio of getting links from the competition. Most competitors will not exchange links.

You will likely have more success approaching those sites that are already linking to the competition or in some way relate to the content of the page you wish to have others link to.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  13. SEO Insultant

Also, you really don't want to link back to your DIRECT competitors. Then again, you wouldn't mind linking back to sites that won't steal your traffic by ranking higher for YOUR favourite keywords..... A slightly related site is not a threat. A direct competitor IS, especially if you are kind enough to link to that....
  15. No Profile Picture

I personally feel that good links have to be from related website and pages where your competitors are listed, it adds to the relevancy of the theme.

Content removed
  17. SEO bull

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    It is likely due to the success ratio of getting links from the competition. Most competitors will not exchange links.

You will likely have more success approaching those sites that are already linking to the competition or in some way relate to the content of the page you wish to have others link to.
    What if your competitors want to exchange links? I mean, what if you have few large competitors and they all agree to exchange links. This way you can pingpong out the little companies from the competition or at least to make them harder to get into it. You make something like cartel and then you can compete with them in achieving other links.

Also, I have no problem to link to them because I know I have better prices (for example). I think even in google eyes it won't hurt, because this way you give your customer a chance to compare the prices or quality or ... . It is more information and thats what google always wanted.

If my thinking is wrong, hit me . But it works for my site...
  19. SEO Insultant

That makes sense, although if they are much bigger or smaller than you, or far more/less expensive, then I wouldn't count them as DIRECT competitors. Meaning: you probably won't be stealing each other's customers... But yeah, linking with them should be fine - and beneficial.
  21. SEO bull

Originally Posted by dzine
    That makes sense, although if they are much bigger or smaller than you, or far more/less expensive, then I wouldn't count them as DIRECT competitors. Meaning: you probably won't be stealing each other's customers... But yeah, linking with them should be fine - and beneficial.
    Yeah, this is a case when you are on the same level of "strongness".

The problem turns up when one of the "cartel" members is starting to loose his positions. The stupid reaction is that he removes the link to his biggest competition in belief that they loose as well. Then the competition removes links to him and he is going deeper and deeper. And a new site can join the cartel ;).
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

*what is relevant?*

Related to the page content, is my general rule of thumb...
  25. Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Just to add to what has already been said....

When you buy a boat you need to buy insurance for that boat so boat insurance is related. You will need a place to use the boat unless you already have one and so that could also be related. Google would realize this and would see the sites are related. As seo-am said the biggest trouble is going to be getting them to link to you. You need to have a linkbait which helps motivate them to link to you.
    -DONíT BUY Keyword Elite V2 till you read this review- Please Digg!
    -SeoChat SEO FAQ - Read the FAQ. It may answer your question.
    -Ultimate Guide to Link Building - What you always wanted to know!
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Visio
    Google would realize this and would see the sites are related.
    If I'd be that sure about Google realizing the relevancy of niches so good,

Boats are relevant to paint, to gifts, to girls, to vacations, to surviving, to medicine, to shopping, to cooking, to sports, to amusements, to hobbies, to techology, to fashion, to finance, jobs, to sex, to science - and I can prove any of the above mentioned niches to be really relevant to boats. And there are by far MORE niches that are relevant.

Oh mighty, where exactly Google will stop on thinking relevant/irrelevant? If Google thinks that boats and sex are not relevant, than Google is stupid and its algo is plain. And relevancy is SO TRICKY

I don't think Google is stupid to trust into relevancy. Nowadays Google is far beyond 'relevancy only'. And proofs are the officially indexed backlinks displayed from such a stubborn search operator as "link:" where there are so many backlinks that are irrelevant, but still Google says ok and puts them to its official backlink list.
    Last edited by ToolInventor; Jan 21st, 2007 at 09:55 AM.
  29. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Ok... time to explain what Google is really doing with relevancy. IT HAS LITTLE TO DO WITH RELEVANT SUBJECTS!

Relevant subject normally fit within relevancy only because of their linkage string. IMO, what Google is doing is assessing the content using AI/fuzzy logic on pages and scoring each page within a site for theme. If the linking page is other than the theme of the total site... less link power on that subject. If the linking page theme is other than that of the page being linked to... less link power on that subject.

Moving outside of the linking site... There is a theme assessment of each linking page throughout the link-string, i.e. site a to site b, site b to site c, site c to site d, etc...... throughout the link-string going forward and backward of any given link/site. The number of sites/pages that are theme scored going forward and/or backward that determines the trust score for any given link can be debated.

The above is why authority sites, older sites, mega-sites, etc. do so weill in the SERPs. Their trust rank based upon page and site linkage strength throughout their link-strings are hard to compete with. They, in most cases, stay almost 100% on theme. We often say... "but their site or page does not even contain the keywords..." The truth of the matter is that their content theme and their link-strings content themes scream that their content covers that keyword.

The above being true (?), we will see more and more restrictions on how much juice recip's, purchased links, and directories will have. When Google says they want content to rule... they will score all pages and sites on content. They will score all links based upon those scores.

Comments on this post

• europa agrees : Your fan club agrees again! LOL!
    • Visio agrees : As always right on... Well put
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: