1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

rel=”author” Rich Snippet

Hi guys,

I am working on getting rich snippets for my website. I would like two things:
    - Add rich snippets to my reviews (will be no problem I guess)
    - Add a profile picture to search engine results.

Now I just created a google+ page and linked it to my website, and verified the link.
    I filled out my google+ page as much as possible including the logo of my website as the profile picture.

Now I am not sure what picture I want in the search results:
    - The picture of my Google+ Page (a logo)
    - The picture of my Google+ account (a profile picture)

What do you think I should use?
    And since I already linked & verified my website with my Google+ page, do I need to do anything for the picture of the + Page to appear in the SE results? how long would that take?

New in this so a lot of questions
    I hope anyone can point me in the right way.

thanks!
    Last edited by boriskamp1991; Dec 9th, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Are you sure you have done it correctly?. I have just checked your model site and don't see the author tag in your homepage. I ran the Google data testing tool and that shows no authorship markup. Publisher is verified but you specified author tag in your title.

Google Structured Data Testing Tool
    Last edited by zico82; Dec 9th, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by zico82
    Are you sure you have done it correctly?. I have just checked your model site and don't see the author tag in your homepage. I ran the Google data testing tool and that shows no authorship markup. Publisher is verified but you specified author tag in your title.

Hi Zico!

Thanks for trying to help me out!
    First of all, what do you think about the picture issue? (logo or profile picture) as described in my first post.
    Here is exactly what I did so far:
    - Created a Google+ Page using my gmail account that has Google+ (personal)
    - Linked from Google+ Page to my website
    - Verified the link in Google+ Page (now has a "v" next to it, you'll know what I mean)
    - Linked from a widget that appears on EVERY page of my website, to my Google+ Page. Google described I should do that from my most important page.
    A widget that appears on all pages will suffice right? or do I need to put in in my body text on my home page?

Thats all I did. I did not add any author tag yet because I want to now wether to use my Profile picture or Logo (as described in opening post)
    I a complete beginner at this, so can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks guys!
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

TBH I think the logo or picture of yourself is just a personal choice, personally I would go for the picture because it is hard to see a logo in the small icon. I doubt it will have an effects on something like click through i.e. IMO people aren't going to be more/less enticed to click on your link because of which picture you use.

Yes I see the widget you have used in your pages as opposed to to the 'rel author' tag, never used it so don't know if it works.

But sounds like you have done everything right regarding verifying your link.

Google says this on snippets.

Once you've marked up your site's content, Google will discover it the next time we crawl your site (although it may take some time for rich snippets to appear in search results, if we do choose to display rich snippets for your site).
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by zico82
    TBH I think the logo or picture of yourself is just a personal choice, personally I would go for the picture because it is hard to see a logo in the small icon. I doubt it will have an effects on something like click through i.e. IMO people aren't going to be more/less enticed to click on your link because of which picture you use.

Yes I see the widget you have used in your pages as opposed to to the 'rel author' tag, never used it so don't know if it works.

But sounds like you have done everything right regarding verifying your link.

Google says this on snippets.

Thanks again.
    So as everything is setup now, it will display the logo, am I right? from my Google+ Page.

How can I setup to show my Google+ picture? (just so I know)
    basically, should I remove the rel="publisher" tag from the widget and do as described in here: google.com/insidesearch/features/authorship/index.html?
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Google provides a tool so you can check if you have done everything right:
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have verified Authorship trough this page : google.com/insidesearch/features/authorship/index.html

but when checking with Google Structured Data Testing Tool it does not show the picture for my post URLs

Should I give google some time? Or do I manually need to verify each post url by entering my google+ account in the Google Structured Data Testing Tool ?
    Because when I do that the picture shows up.
    I should just give it some time right?
    Last edited by boriskamp1991; Dec 9th, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
  15. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

You are a bit confused... For Authorship you should use your PERSONAL G+ profile (NOT your business page)

Also, if you try using your company logo as an avatar (instead of your photo), you won't be see your pictured picked up in search results:
    Company Logo as Google Plus Profile Picture

So you have no choice here: You should use your photo as Google wants content to be authored by real people, not businesses
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Ann Smarty
    You are a bit confused... For Authorship you should use your PERSONAL G+ profile (NOT your business page)

Also, if you try using your company logo as an avatar (instead of your photo), you won't be see your pictured picked up in search results:

So you have no choice here: You should use your photo as Google wants content to be authored by real people, not businesses
    Exactly! You need to use your photo, as content author. I should be well distinguishable as person, not any icon or logo.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Ann Smarty

Thanks for the help Ann. I did figure it out anyway and the pictures show up, so thats great!
  21. Contributing User

When I go to Contributor To and click add custom link it ask for "label and url"
    What do I put in both?
    Also can I link my blog as well. What code do I need to put into my site and blog pointing to my profile?
    Thanks.
  23. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Doyle
    When I go to Contributor To and click add custom link it ask for "label and url"
    What do I put in both?
    That's pretty self explanatory isn't it?
  25. Contributing User

The Link is the link to the site. But I do not know about the label.
    Also under Contributor to it says link and has my website, does this mean it is already done?
  27. Contributing User

is the label the title of the site?

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees : The label is what you want to call it or label it.
  29. Contributing User

I think I got it! Thanks guys
    Everything is Verified except for Extracted structured data. And from the examples that is ok I think. What took 4 hours I think next time would take maybe 5 minutes...
    YEA