1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Redirects 301 and Google

I have an old site I want to disconnect. If I redirect 301, will I keep the page rank after the old site is off line?

Or should I keep hosting and the registration alive on the old site?

Additionally, should I do a redirect for the whole domain or do individual ones per HTML documents.

Thanks,
    Bruno
  3. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by pataya
    I have an old site I want to disconnect. If I redirect 301, will I keep the page rank after the old site is off line?
    Some pagerank if passed when doing a 301 but the old domain may loss its PR, meaning any PR passed on will be lost.

I had this happen with a personal site of mine which I did this on to test what happened. The 301'ed site was PR3 and the new site PR0, at first the PR went up to 2 and then down to PR1 once the old domain had lost its PR (no back links to the 301'ed domain had changed or lost value as far as I know)

Or should I keep hosting and the registration alive on the old site?
    If you dont keep the domain registered you will have no control over it and the 301 will be lost!

Cant say if you should 301 it or keep it going, as you didnt say if the new site is to replace the old or what?

Additionally, should I do a redirect for the whole domain or do individual ones per HTML documents.
    Again, without knowing more details as to why you are doing this and what the two sites are, we cant real give the best advice as it could be either depending on your reasons behind it and what the two domains/sites are.
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  5. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Keeo your old site hosted for around 6 months to ensure that the 301's are picked up properly.

doing a 301 redirect on a domain level is fine, however if you can link through to specific pages then this is more valuable.

Making sure you have all URLs indexed and accessible will help the process.

It is also a good idea to modify the files so that their last mod date is fresh. I usually just add in a line of white space, save, then remove the white space and save again so that the file mod date is changed.

This gives your site the best chance of having the 301 picked up site wide as early as possible.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Yes, your PR will flow from old domain to new domain but it takes time (approx 3 weeks to 6 months)

An offline domain would not be able to pass any Pr to new domain.

Do not redirect your website to new domain in one shot, read this Google's blog post for more reference,
    http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/04/best-practices-when-moving-your-site.html

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo