1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Redirect and PR question

Hi,

I have a domain that has a pr of 5 and I use it solely as a redirect link in articles.

It does not get much traffic anymore because most of the articles are somewhat old.

I am building a new website and it is related to that domain. Would it be benefitial to redirect that domain to the new site with actual content or what would happen?

Since it has a Pr 5 could I expect top listings for those keywords with low competition or would the website get sandboxed first?

Thanks
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

why not just build the new website on that domain? that way you would preserve page rank, and the domain wopuld not be sandboxed. If you redirect an old domain to a new one, the new one will still get sandboxed
    Work Smarter, Not Harder
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

The articles written around the domain overall have the same content, but the new site I am building is a specific niche of that market so the domain would not be suitable.

If I get sandboxed that wouldnt be that big of a deal. It would give me time to write more articles for the new domain, redirect the pr 5 domain to the new one, and build more content.

The only thing Im worried about is, will the pr5 go down? At first it was redirected to an affiliate id and company. So will I lose my pagerank once I redirect?

Thanks
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by sunandwind
    The only thing Im worried about is, will the pr5 go down? At first it was redirected to an affiliate id and company. So will I lose my pagerank once I redirect?
    Thanks
    If you use a 301 redirect correctly - and assuming that the backlinks stay in place, the PR should remain... however - jagger3 is still propogating and it (and subsequent algo changes) could mean that the value of the links might be reduced if they become far enough "off-topic".
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]