1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Redirect for 5 websites to 1 new one and Page Rank Impact

Hi,

I'm hoping I can get some clarification to my problem here. I've read through a lot of posts on 301 redirects, duplicate content but am still confused as the best way to proceed.

We have 5 websites all on different domains serving different content so in essence they are 5 standalone sites. The content is related though. We are now going to amalgamate all the sites into one website under one of the domains from Branding purposes.

We plan also to use Joomla as the CMS (if that matters)

For my example lets say that we are in the fruit business and the way we have it now is

www.1.com which deals with Apples
    www.2.com which deals with Banannas
    www.3.com which deals with Oranges
    www.4.com Which deals with Pears
    www.5.com which dealt with company info but will be used as the new site amalgamating the information on the 4 domains above

Whats my best approach to do this.

My options seems to be

1) Use Server or .htaccess redirects on domains 1.com, 2.com, 3.com, 4.com so that anyone accessing any page on these domains will be redirected to the hompeage of 5.com

2) Setup folders on the new site like www.5.com/apples/, www.5.com/oranges etc and use Server or .htaccess redirects on domains 1.com, 2.com, 3.com, 4.com so that anyone accessing any page on these domains will be redirected to the correct folder on www.5.com.

3) Rather then setup redirects on the domain level for all my main pages of say www.1.com redirect that page to the homepage of www.5.com. (So if I had www.1.com/page1.html or www.1.com/page10.php I'd redirected these using the .thaccess file to end up at the homepage of www.5.com or possibly an appropraite page on the new site)

I'd really appreciate some help here. The objective is to try and keep our PR ranking which is currently 5 to 6.

After its complete I'd plan to use a sitemap and submit this to google based on the information at from Google and add Sitemap: h**p:/(www.5.com)/sitemap.xml to our .htaccess file.

Note: We have full access to all the servers and we are running linux.

On a side note: We have about 50 other domains registered. They are just parking pages we have not done anything with. There is just a basic parking page linking to each of the 5 sites. I'd look to update the parking page not to reflect the single link. Is there any advantage I can take having these domain to help www.5.com's Page Rank?

Thanks in advance
  3. Smoke me a kipper...
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I'd try to redirect at the page level first, ie each old page to its corresponding new page. If there are any pages without a new equivalent, then redirect to the most closely related subfolder, and failing that, to the homepage.

With regards to the additional 50 domains, the best option is really just to redirect them to the main site. As it stands, without backlinks to and content on these additional domains, they're not doing anything for the main site.
    ... I'll be back for breakfast
    New to SEO? SEOChat SEO FAQs
    Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines
    URL canonicalization code solutions
    Vigorously pursuing the floccinaucinihilipilification of cheap SEO tricks
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks JagNet.

Do I add at page level on the new domain or the old domain in terms of setting up the .htacess files?

Thanks
  7. Smoke me a kipper...
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

You'll need to set up the redirects on the old domain since the redirect needs to come from the old page to the new one.

Also I'd do it using .htaccess rather than server-side (eg php) code on each page as it's quicker for the end user.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I would redirect each and every page to the new page

www.4.com which deals with Pears

so www.1.com/page4.htm

would redirect to www.5.com/apples/page4.htm

Using the .htaccess file to relocate EVERY page to the place where the new page is.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Killjoy
    I would redirect each and every page to the new page

www.4.com which deals with Pears

so www.1.com/page4.htm

would redirect to www.5.com/apples/page4.htm

Using the .htaccess file to relocate EVERY page to the place where the new page is.
    We wont be reproducing the content as it currently stands so I imagine the best way is as to do it on a page by page basis for the main pages on the existing site to related pages on the new site?

so www.1.com/page4.htm

would redirect to www.5.com/apples/some-new-page--with-content-related-to-page4-from-oldsite.htm

Is the purpose of doing it this way geared for the customer or the search engine?

Thanks
    Last edited by alancr; Jan 2nd, 2008 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Updating feedback
  13. SEO bull
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by alancr
    We wont be reproducing the content as it currently stands so I imagine the best way is as to do it on a page by page basis for the main pages on the existing site to related pages on the new site?

so www.1.com/page4.htm

would redirect to www.5.com/apples/some-new-page--with-content-related-to-page4-from-oldsite.htm

Is the purpose of doing it this way geared for the customer or the search engine?

Thanks
    Both.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo