1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Recovering Lost Google Traffic

Hi, could anyone please give some suggestions on how to recover lost google traffic. I have four different content sites with different subdomains each. Two of them lost almost all Google referrals starting June 16th. I submitted one site to Google sitemaps about a week and a half ago, but still no help. The other two sbudomains lost almost all Google referrals starting June 30th. I have not changed anything else during this time on my pages and my referrals from Yahoo have been constant. All my pages can still be found on Google, but likely very low, as I am not getting referrals from them. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to recover this lost traffic from Google? Thanks in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

you're going to have to give more info than that. Sounds like you got penalized. What grey/black hat tactics were you using? Was the content on the 4 sites unique? Where are you getting your links from? Where are you linking to? Any redirects in play? Hidden text? You get the idea...

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
  5. Resident Black Hat
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

If it's a new site you might have been bumped into the sandbox although Brandall is right. we need more details!

G-Man
  7. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Might have been a filter - nothing done wrong, but the site fit a profile that Google doesn't like.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi, thanks for the replies. Yeah, the content on the 4 sites was unique, and each has its own unique set of incoming links. The incoming links are mainly from speciality directories for each site. Most of those directories have good pagerank and are respected. I do a minor amount of linking to link the 4 sites to each other (eg Site 1 to Sites 2 and 3). I don't have many outgoing links, and no hidden text. The sites having been doing OK in Google since September 2004. Would you suggest completely removing links in between them so that they're not linked to each other? (I guess the problem is that they would all have the same domain even though they're different subdomains.) Thanks.
  11. Webpreneur
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Are the links in between the sites a sitewide links? How about a duplicate content? Is your content unique to your websites? How about links acquiring continuity? Did you acquire most of your links in one period or you are doing it continuously?
    JOHN - Do you pay taxes?
    GRAHAM - Do I pay taxes? Of course I pay taxes, only a liar doesn't pay taxes, I'm not a liar. A liar is the second lowest form of human being.
    ANN - What's the first?
    GRAHAM - Lawyers
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

That is what I'm wondering also. Did you get a few links to begin with and then move on? If the subject matter is competetive, other hard working entrepreneurs may have just been working harder than you and bumped you down a bit.

My site took a dive on about the same date as yours, but I just got back on the link-trading wagon and I'm now seeing the site slowly come back. Can't say for sure if it is the link trading or it was bound to come back, but it never hurts.

I have also abandoned all methods that may penalize my site. I've re-evaluated to whom I link and removed questionable sites as a result.

Keep it clean and you can't go wrong.

Comments on this post

• l3vi agrees : Sounds like "Did you get a few links to begin with and then move on"
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

NOw it sounds like an algo shift to me. Not a surprise though that all 4 subdomains got hit about the same time. If smething shofted in the way Google was valuing the site as a whole, that result would be expected. I would keep looking for possible causes of a penalty though. I don't think linking between 4 subdomains will get you penalized if you aren't doing anything else shady. I have 3 subdomains on one of my main retail sites and all of them are in the main nav of the site, so essentially sitewide links from each to each other. That is my best performing site and has been since it came out of the sandbox right after the superbowl.
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

My site also tanked on June 30th. I got hit by Bourbon In February but fully recovered in May. The last few days I''ve been at 20% of June traffic even accounting for the long weekend. All 100 pages (content site) lost their 1st page positions.
    Some of the new 1st page results are odd, not bad sites or even SEO'd sites but not entirely relevant. Google seems to be picking up keyword titles from big sites with good PR even if the page itself has poor PR and little content - but has the right title keywords. For example: I got beat by some recent craigslist.org posts.
  19. No Profile Picture

Yes, DerekZ, I see what you're saying about the results being odd. I just tried a search on Google with some of my keywords and a lot of the sites that come up on the first page do seem to be more established, bigger sites which contain that keyword only as one of its small subtopics. Like you said, those sites don't seem to be sites that are optimized by SEO webmasters, though. Just to be safe, brandall, I've completely removed any linking between my subdomains within my sites so that hopefully one of them will resurface. Yes, Lici, I guess you could consider them sitewide links, as I had a "Link" hyperlink on every page, and within that "Link" page, it contained links to my other subdomains as well as some external links. My content is unique, although I noticed several months ago using Copyscape that someone had copied one of my articles and put the entire article as one-third of one of their articles onto their website. The links that I acquired I had acquired quite a long time ago, so I haven't been continually building new links, so I guess that it would help maintain my rankings by building more links, as steve-o suggests.
    Last edited by keithbrent2000; Jul 3rd, 2005 at 01:29 AM.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

have you slowed down the pace of adding new content to your sites?
  23. No Profile Picture

Hi, dejaone. I update my site quite erratically. When I have time, I add 10-20 pages, but when I don't have time, I just leave it there sitting. You do have a good point about updating. Maybe I should try to update more evenly and more regularly.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I have a site that I haven't updated in 2 years. Google has (apparently) classified it as a Blog, and it even tops CNN on the SERPS when we both have a story for the same event (I just post a snipet).

Originally Posted by keithbrent2000
    Hi, dejaone. I update my site quite erratically. When I have time, I add 10-20 pages, but when I don't have time, I just leave it there sitting. You do have a good point about updating. Maybe I should try to update more evenly and more regularly.
    Last edited by walkman; Jul 3rd, 2005 at 08:59 AM.