1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Recordset Paging and Optimization

Guys,

I have a storefront product inventory with specific pages for each product, each individual and optimized. I would like them to get seen by google, however my recordset paging is a little bit funky and lets you type in 'which page to go to', i.e., instead of the google style 1 2 3 4 5 6, where each number is a recordset page, mine is an input box.

All fine and dandy, but the problem is when you click through on mine it doesn't show any difference in the actual result URL, it just does the paging in the background ASP. I'm not a good enough programmer (and i'm lazy to get a new recordset paging system for my storefront. Besides, I quite like it the way it is.

So as an alternate, i've created a single index page of the entire product inventory (500+ URLs). I need to know if this will be effective as it seem's with my current setup, googlebot will not make it past the first page of my product inventory.

Thanks.
  3. Contributing User

StoreFront Web

HI, I have a storefront web, www yearwood com. I did not like the template idea so had coded all my pages. My index page lists the 60 categories we carry. Each category links to a separate page which in turn link to all the productt pages for that category.

Shannon
    Last edited by Shannon Smyrl; Jun 16th, 2004 at 07:35 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

In your present situation you could consider to create a logical sitemap with all your static links - would help the robots - G included - and perhaps some of your users.

HC

PS
    and I'm lazy to get a new recordset paging system for my storefront.
    Get it done - you will be using to much time maintaining your present system - I guess
  7. Contributing User

Well Indexed without site map

We have an extensive product line. It would take a site map wiith multiple pages to implement. For time being an going to leave well enough alone. Think a feed to Froogle should be implemented even though lots of our product line is already listed there.

What size is your page with all the products listed? The figure frequently quoted for site map is it should be under 100k.

Good luck with your store.

Shannon
    Last edited by Shannon Smyrl; Jun 16th, 2004 at 08:26 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Shannon,

Currently the file inventory page is 66 K including the header and footer, this is for around 500 files.

I need to come up with a long term solution though, as the site is just starting and I intend to have tens of thousands of files eventually (it's a digital art store, like a stock photo agency).

I tried submitting to froogle but they won't let me in because my products are listed in Euros instead of USD.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo