Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Reciprocal linking, one way linking or a combination ??

I have looked at numerous SEO websites - and seo articles written by SEO companies, and there seems to be a wide range of views as to what is the method to success with regard to linking. We have even had quotes from "proffessional" SEO companies, who give contradicting advise:

1/. Some advise only one way linking to your site and also possible triangular linking.
    2/. Some just advise getting reciprocal links.
    3/. Some advise a combination of both.
    4/. Some advise getting links only from sites with a minimum link page PR.

Here are some quotes from well establised companies:

"We recommend ‘only incoming’ links as we believe that reciprocal links are outdated and not rewarded by most search engines." www.seorank.com

"We do not recommend inbound only links since no IMPORTANT site is going to give out a link for free on their website; hence inbound links don’t serve the purpose. Instead of that we highly recommend reciprocal links as your website becomes a resource for theme related sites when we have 100+ theme related links on your ‘Link Exchange’ Page. Other option is that we go in for ‘Triangular Links’ building i.e. provides link exchange with a website other than your main website. " http://www.netsmartz.net/

"We recommend PR4 link backs only when your site has a PR of atleast 2." http://www.netsmartz.net/

"The SEO pundits seem to be releasing a new wave of "Reciprocal Linking is Dead" articles and pronouncements. I've seen more than half a dozen in the last couple months, in one form or another. There is a well-known search forum moderator who could not be more hostile toward reciprocal linking, and this person now seems to refuse to allow any posts that do not support his entrenched dogma against linking.
    This crowd openly begs Google to "see the light". Let's look at that argument, too. Let's imagine that Google is going to toss out six years of success, just because the people who most want to jam up the Google index results want them to change this or that, and thus make it easier for their tricks to work. Uh huh.

Reciprocal linking is not dead. Anyone who thinks it is, based upon the opinion of these "experts", and then acts upon it for their own site, stands to make a serious error. One could end up spending a lot more money to achieve less effective, less stable, results." http://www.linkstrategy.com/article-alive.htm

This is so contradictory from companies that are supposed to be SEO Guru's - What are your thoughts ??
    Last edited by Jasontnyc; Apr 14th, 2005 at 04:02 AM. Reason: removed live links
  3. SEO chat regular
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Mix it up

I definately think a mix - i like to break up the linking pattern as much as possible.

That means pr=0 (not gray bar)

high pr

on topic

off topic

( mainly on topic - approx 70-80%)

Cheers,

BB
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

1/. Some advise only one way linking to your site and also possible triangular linking.
    SEO is contradictory, as nobody knows which one works 100%. I try to get one way link /non reciprocal links as much as possible but don't completely ignore reciprocal links. Links are links, after all links are the most important factor.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thumbs up

I have several websites that rank very well where recip links are the only method of promotion.

Comments on this post

• gchaney agrees : Bingo
    SootleDir - When only the finest link will do | Webmaster Forum |
  9. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Chilliboy - you forgot the forum that doesn't like triangular links, because they're mainly used by schemers and cons

Sorry to add to the confusion.

Fact is that it's more important where the link comes from (and where the recip. would be pointing to). Try to think as an internet user from time to time when you're out hunting for links. Ask yourself if you REALLY want your site associated with the other one.

Other than that, every link that doesn't trip a spam alert is probably fine. Try and slip in a variation in anchor text every now and again - just to be on the safe side...

Comments on this post

• agrees : Perfect advice
  11. PHP & MySQL guru

Although I don't want to get into the old BLOOP argument, I also think it's a wise idea to vary anchor text too. A few hundred links all with the same anchor text is fishy, and I'm sure google can spot it a mile off.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you don't vary the anchor text, you're a goner for sure.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well does anyone know of any really good link building companies out there ? We are looking for a company that does not uses "ethical" link building methods and is really on the ball with Link building and SEO in General.

I would really appreciate any feedback on top quality companies.
  17. Son Of Spam

Originally Posted by chilliboy
    Well does anyone know of any really good link building companies out there ? We are looking for a company that does not uses "ethical" link building methods and is really on the ball with Link building and SEO in General.

I would really appreciate any feedback on top quality companies.
    I personally think you will be better off doing this yourself. Any link building or link exchange company out there will be using their own different technics, software, and prorams. Should you ever decide to switch to another it could be more work and added expense. Besides, when dealing with google, no matter what the popular opinion is at the moment, it will change in another moment. truth be told, much of it is educated guess, mixed in with google mythology.

By doing it yourself from begining to end, YOU are in control. You can try various technics and see which works best for you. You should be asking about which links exchange programs are available, and start from there. Asking which company is best is pointless as every one will have different opionions, and ask again next month, you may get different anwsers.

I suggest you do it yourself.

Regards!

Comments on this post

• Wit agrees : all true :)
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I personally think you will be better off doing this yourself. Any link building or link exchange company out there will be using their own different technics, software, and prorams. Should you ever decide to switch to another it could be more work and added expense. Besides, when dealing with google, no matter what the popular opinion is at the moment, it will change in another moment. truth be told, much of it is educated guess, mixed in with google mythology.

By doing it yourself from begining to end, YOU are in control. You can try various technics and see which works best for you. You should be asking about which links exchange programs are available, and start from there. Asking which company is best is pointless as every one will have different opionions, and ask again next month, you may get different anwsers.

I suggest you do it yourself.

Regards!
    Quite true - but that doesn't help me look for someone who is any good! Everyone has good and bad experiences with companies - I'm looking for a company that has a proven track record and also knows something about SEO - ie they may publish well respected regular articles.
  21. Contributing User

SEO Articles

Are bunk. From what I have read online, most SEO published articles are at least one of the following...

(1) Redudant
    (2) Overly Simplified
    (3) Marketing Pieces

I have found more insight, and generated more insight on my own, while working in this forum than anywhere else.

If I were you and were searching for a firm, just find someone that steadily builds high quality links: High pr, relative, and if possible incoming only.

PS: I have had huge success with reciprocal linking - so don't rule it out.
  23. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

chilliboy - how many (valid and/or dodgy) PMs did you get so far?
  25. Mr. Goober Guy ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

All of the above.

imho!
    Cheerios!

New to SEO? See the FAQ!

My Disclaimer:
    Don't Listen To Me - I know nothing!
  27. CEO, but responsible to u

I'd take one step back and look at it from a "Linking Neighborhood" point of view. Wipe PR from your vocabulary and your mind. Think Yahoo Linkdomain, think age of the site linking to you, think of who links to those who link to you, and think relevance.

If I didn't know your website, and I just saw the title tag of every page that links to you, combined with the title tags of the pages you link to (offsite), I should be able to guess somewhat what your site is about, be it: Home and garden, computers, clothing, etc.

Link Trading: If you're going to trade, I'd try to do it only with those sites that are very closely related to your site. Who you trade with is your tightest neighborhood.

If you're going to get one way links, the tighter your topic the better. It's not to say that if you have a "way off topic" link that it will hurt you, but the tighter your neighborhood, the less links you may need to achieve the same goal.

Careful with "true triangles" ...engines can easily spot things like triangles unless you have lots of topical sites to keep switching in and out of your triangles.
  29. :::::::::::::::::::::

3-way or parallel linking is the best way to go - get as many links on a consistent basis and with your target anchor text.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: