1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Recent issue with Google

I have recently noticed an issue with my site and Google rankings. Although my site ranks well for certain terms (I'm not sure I can post links here yet, so Google Golf Lesson Search and it appears at number 1), worryingly it comes NOWHERE for the most important search term: Golf Lessons

I've attempted to optimise the site for the search term but this seems to have made the situation worse, not better. I'm worried that I may have done something to annoy Google but cannot find any reasons why, I'm following guidelines from a few SEO books I have.

Any advice would be most welcome.
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by PlazaCommerce
    I have recently noticed an issue with my site and Google rankings. Although my site ranks well for certain terms (I'm not sure I can post links here yet, so Google Golf Lesson Search and it appears at number 1), worryingly it comes NOWHERE for the most important search term: Golf Lessons

I've attempted to optimise the site for the search term but this seems to have made the situation worse, not better. I'm worried that I may have done something to annoy Google but cannot find any reasons why, I'm following guidelines from a few SEO books I have.

Any advice would be most welcome.
    is this your site? http://www.golflessonsearch.com/
  5. nut case
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Ja-no, some keywords have higher competition and are thus harder to crack. I wouldn't think 'Golf Lesson Search' is a very popular search term. Your site looks fairly new so it will take time and probably a lot more content. Some of your pages might be flagging duplicate content issues because they're quite similar due to the sidebar having the same information and the actual page having too little.

That is assuming your site is golflessonsearch.com
    Last edited by Poiesis01; Mar 17th, 2011 at 09:42 AM.
    oops! I think I got that wrong! Sorry
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks for replies. Yes that is the correct site.

I seem to be indexed well for other terms, but I'm confused as to why I'm so low down for golf lessons? I don't think I'm even indexed for it!
  9. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Thanks for replies. Yes that is the correct site.

I seem to be indexed well for other terms, but I'm confused as to why I'm so low down for golf lessons? I don't think I'm even indexed for it!
    May I ask why you are using a a .com instead of a .co.uk?

It's a nice site but it has only 10 in bound links. Golf Lessons is pretty competitive, you'll have to work on that to rank well.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    May I ask why you are using a a .com instead of a .co.uk?

It's a nice site but it has only 10 in bound links. Golf Lessons is pretty competitive, you'll have to work on that to rank well.
    Simple answer is that the intention has always been to extend into the US after the application has been tested with a few locals.

Would you know of a reason why dmoz aren't interested in listing it? I've tried several times over the period of 7 months.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Simple answer is that the intention has always been to extend into the US after the application has been tested with a few locals.

Would you know of a reason why dmoz aren't interested in listing it? I've tried several times over the period of 7 months.
    DMOZ says in their own terms of service that they can take YEARS to list your site. They have human editors. Those human editors are backlogged, often lazy, sometimes deliberately don't add sites to protect their own interests, etc...

At this point in history, don't ever expect to be added to DMOZ. Ever. If you do, consider it like finding a 4 leaf clover.
    Interested in SEO? Follow me: @cstechjoel or visit I'm The Best Looking Man In The World (According To Google!).
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ElectricPrez
    DMOZ says in their own terms of service that they can take YEARS to list your site. They have human editors. Those human editors are backlogged, often lazy, sometimes deliberately don't add sites to protect their own interests, etc...

At this point in history, don't ever expect to be added to DMOZ. Ever. If you do, consider it like finding a 4 leaf clover.
    Thanks, that's a pity. A previous site I had benefited hugely from Dmoz as it raised the inbound links by about 40 (due to all the sites that use Dmoz as a directory on their site) and in turn it promoted my site to number 1 for several competitive terms.

So, would the general advice be to add more content (such as an RSS feed from PGA Tour?) and manually look for gaining inbound links?
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Thanks, that's a pity. A previous site I had benefited hugely from Dmoz as it raised the inbound links by about 40 (due to all the sites that use Dmoz as a directory on their site) and in turn it promoted my site to number 1 for several competitive terms.

So, would the general advice be to add more content (such as an RSS feed from PGA Tour?) and manually look for gaining inbound links?
    Add more content, but make it unique to your site. An RSS feed isn't going to rank you because you're pulling in that content from elsewhere. Consider maybe writing up a blog with recent developments.

And yes, manually looking for inbound links!