1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Recent Drop In Top 100 Search Queries Numbers

Over the past 2 to 4 weeks I have seen the overall number of key term search queries that some of my sites used to rank for
    dramatically drop. Some nearly 50% For example... a site that used to show for 800 different queries is now only showing for 450.

I have measured this in both search counsel and "The Hoth" rank monitoring tool.

I am wondering if others have experienced the same.

I am honestly not sure what queries did, in fact, drop off, as the movement didn't seem to be affecting my primary terms.
    However, it is still alarming since I recently had a few guest post published on what I evaluated as safe sites. (Those sites also experience drops)

I had read in a Quora thread that this could possibly be a side effect of the search algo simply trying to refine site rankings to their most relevant serarch terms.
    As a result, maybe all those queries that the sites used to rank for and no longer do were simply not closely related enough for my site content to display in search anymore.

Any thoughts?

Has anyone else experienced dramatic decreases in the volume of general key term rankings with out their primarys being effected over the past month?
  3. Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Or, you're getting penalized because you're trying to manipulate the SERPs?

And, they're getting penalized because they're selling links.

You can't try to fool Google anymore. The HOTH will have a list of webmasters who sell links... yes, they may be legitimate sites... but a couple of "odd" outbound links and Google's algo's will soon sniff out usual behavior. If you're associated with these sites... bye bye.

Stop wasting good money for a company to ruin your site.
    Last edited by matt1966; Apr 15th, 2018 at 11:41 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

This is possible. I didn't actually purchase it from the hoth though. Either way, there are thousands of guest post sites and millions of people using it for SEO so it may just be a game of roulette. I guess I'll just have to wait it out... As I said, none of my first page or local pack rankings are suffering, only the quantity of key terms that my site on a whole showed up for according to search counsel and the hoth keyword ranking tool.. So I am still unsure. If anyone else can verify similar activity it would be interesting to hear?

I will say that I have seen Keyword Volume on a whole drop for sites that I haven't even done backlink SEO on... so this is what makes me hope its more google filtering relevancy and not penalizing.