1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

A rather complex question-would appreciatae any informed opinions.

Hi All,

I am a new member to this forum but I am an old fart who has been online a long time. My original site-www(dot)owens-originals(dot)com was started in about 1995. At that time, the online world was pretty new and I was able to land #1 placement for many of my keywords on a new search engine called "Google". That was fine but I really didn't understand what it meant or why all of a sudden, my little business began to grow at over 100% per year. Sometime after this, I decided that having a shopping cart on my site would be good. However, I did not know any way to add a cart to the existing site. To shorten a long story, I tried several options (you see the original site retained such good rankings on Google that I did not want to get rid of it). My final solution was to buy a Volusion shopping cart and add it as a sub-domain to my original site. The shopping cart address being cart(dot)owens-originals(dot)com. So- I have customers going from my main site after being found on a search engine, into my cart site to shop and back again. You can see how it works if you visit the site.

Now for the question: This solution has worked well for several years with only minimal confusion from customers and with me retaining at least page one placement for many pages from the original site. However, my placement has began to drop lately and I am wondering if it is because of the overlap of these two sites? The cart site does not seem to get any exposure to speak of on google. However, it seems to be easier to navigate than the original site, has a cleaner look and of course my cart is there along with card processing and all the mechanics necessary to do online business. Do you think I may be better off now to do away with the old site, re-name the cart site to www(dot)owens originals(dot)com and hope that google likes it? If so, how much of a risk is it? all opinions will be read with gratitude.

Thanks

Comments on this post

• raz agrees : Welcome to SEOChat Forums
  3. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Well your rankings could be dropping from the Panda updates.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hello docowen, and welcome to SeoChat.

semrush.com shows healthy traffic and an increase in traffic since November of last year, though a drop for January and February but still much higher than November.

Placing the entire content of the cart (sub domain) over to the main domain and killing the main siteís content will be a disastrous move!

I still have a couple of sites built in simple HTML tables but I must admit I havenít seen a site as ancient looking as yours in a long, long time.

The first thing you need to do is a complete redesign of the site and integration of a blog. But you must take a lot of care not to change existing URLs of the site otherwise you will lose your rankings.

Once the redesign is complete then install a shopping cart in the main site. That should not impact rankings though I am not an eCommerce guy and hopefully someone with eCommerce experience will chime in.

You then transfer whatever unique content there is (product descriptions) in your cart subdomain over to the main site so every product will get plenty of description. I am assuming the descriptions in the cart are unique, if not re-write them.

Then start adding blog posts, reviewing or introducing your products while concentrating on your keywords and building internal links from those posts.

raz

Comments on this post

• Dice79 agrees : Good Lord, My eyes hurt.
    Last edited by raz; Mar 26th, 2012 at 03:11 PM.
    #include <Cognac.h> -The only code I know How to Write!
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Owen, It is time to get out of 1995 and do a major overhaul.

Hire a Designer to rebrand your site: Roughly $3,000
    Hire a Programmer to rebuild your site Professionally: Roughly $10,000
    Hire an SEO to do a Site Analysis and guide your programmer: Roughly $3,000

If you are serious about your business you will do this. If not then you will continue to decline in the ranks, it's only a matter of time when your competitors smarten up.

Comments on this post

• raz agrees : Wow! Here comes the big spender.... LOL
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by Dice79
    Owen, It is time to get out of 1995 and do a major overhaul.

Hire a Designer to rebrand your site: Roughly $3,000
    Hire a Programmer to rebuild your site Professionally: Roughly $10,000
    Hire an SEO to do a Site Analysis and guide your programmer: Roughly $3,000

If you are serious about your business you will do this. If not then you will continue to decline in the ranks, it's only a matter of time when your competitors smarten up.
    Yap, it does take money to make money though burning the midnight oil and working long hours could save a lot.
    The question is: Do you have more money or time?