Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Ranks dropping - Please help

Hi,

I've been recently working on the SEO for a site called lighting-direct and we have been slowly moving down the rankings from page 1 for the lighting keyword.

I reckon that the page loading time may have be a reason for this, as we rank quite popular worldwide in comparison to our competitors.

I used to work on the Meta data everyday but I stopped and worked on it every other day due to the fall.

I reckon that the slide show which is in JavaScript may be the cause for the slow page load, and I'm thinking of implementing flash.

I would be grateful if you would be able to assist me in whether I should,

1) continue doing Meta changes daily

2) change the slides show to flash and

3) make any other changes.

Thank you & God bless
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by TiaM
    Hi,

I've been recently working on the SEO for a site called lighting-direct and we have been slowly moving down the rankings from page 1 for the lighting keyword.

I reckon that the page loading time may have be a reason for this, as we rank quite popular worldwide in comparison to our competitors.

I used to work on the Meta data everyday but I stopped and worked on it every other day due to the fall.

I reckon that the slide show which is in JavaScript may be the cause for the slow page load, and I'm thinking of implementing flash.

I would be grateful if you would be able to assist me in whether I should,

Thank you & God bless
    Are you being paid for this "SEO" you are doing?
  5. from the horses mouth
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Are you being paid for this "SEO" you are doing?
    You have a chance to educate not berate.

If we gave snotty answers to every person who came here looking for help then how much use would this forum become?

Comments on this post

• electricchoice agrees : You've rightly defended the thread-starter
  7. from the horses mouth

Hi,

Hi Tiam

Working on your sites meta data is not not going to do much for you, I assume you are referring to Title, Description and Keywords:

Title - Is important, but i would not reccommend changing it on a daily basis, just set a title that contains your target keyword near the start of the title and then leave it.

Description - won't affect your rankings, may, if displayed in the serps, help encourage people to click you listing if you make it enticing enough.

Keywords - won't help you rank with Google, if you still want meta-keywords then add it the once and then forget about it.

To maintain and improve rankings you will get the most effect by getting other sites to link to you. Have a read of the stickies at the top of the forum, you will learn a lot very quickly!
  9. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by channel5
    You have a chance to educate not berate.

If we gave snotty answers to every person who came here looking for help then how much use would this forum become?
    My answer was not "snotty" in the least. In order to give good information I need to know if I am talking to the shipping clerk for this company who is trying to impress his bosses and improve his standing in life, or someone who is ripping people off offering a service for sale that he knows nothing about.

If he is indeed a thief, fraudulently charging for services in which he has no clue how to perform, my answer will be different.

Get it?
  11. from the horses mouth

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Get it?
    No I don't.. If you were a new member and were giving responses like your first one then you'd be stomped on. The giveaway was placing SEO in quotes in your reply.

Regardless of the OP's position it was clear that there were obvious answers and advice to give.

The forum is not for grandstanding, it's for helping people learn.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I've just graduated and have been working as work experience. Having little knowledge in SEO this has been a learning experience of trial and error. But now that we hang onto page 1 I thought it would be helpful to obtain some help.

I found that during the early days I used to get got outcome from changing the Meta data- Kw,Des & main site title.. But nowadays I can only get a shift if I work on the title of the site. This may shift the site up a position or so.. Yet again this would be a temporary fix.

Looking at the incoming links, we have a good number in comparison to our competitors- thelightingsuperstore. They are ranked number 1 and only have 43 while we have 53 links.??

Although they have less links they also have a lower page loading time 1.77 secs while we have 3.06 secs.I feel that this may be the main stumbling block...

Thanks
  15. from the horses mouth

Looking at the incoming links, we have a good number in comparison to our competitors- thelightingsuperstore. They are ranked number 1 and only have 43 while we have 53 links.??
    Not all links are equal. A link from the BBC is worth much much more than from a low quality free for all directory for example.

So it is most likely that their links are of better quality even though their are fewer of them.

Although they have less links they also have a lower page loading time 1.77 secs while we have 3.06 secs.I feel that this may be the main stumbling block...
    Without seeing the site directly it's hard to say, Google have said that page load time will become a ranking factor at some point this year, however they haven;'t said when exactly it will happen, nor have they said (or any independent testing shown) how much of an effect speed has.

At 1.77 v 3.06 I wouldn't have thought that this is the cause of real problems. I'd certainly be looking at other areas first.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I've just graduated and have been working as work experience. Having little knowledge in SEO this has been a learning experience of trial and error. But now that we hang onto page 1 I thought it would be helpful to obtain some help.

I found that during the early days I used to get got outcome from changing the Meta data- Kw,Des & main site title.. But nowadays I can only get a shift if I work on the title of the site. This may shift the site up a position or so.. Yet again this would be a temporary fix.

Thanks
  19. Digital Marketing

Hi TiaM, thanks for humoring me
    http://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/?

First off I would rewrite the articles that you have on the site that appear to have been duplicated from lots of other places. I would make the articles original and very helpful to your potential clients. Perhaps interview a well-known interior designer? An engineer, an electrician? Doing so might get you a link from their site to yours!

I would then work on gaining more quality in bound links. You are right in seeing this as a factor. Perhaps give a good discount to a decorator in exchange for a relevant article placed on their site with a link back to you. a 20% discount might cost the company $100.00 and it will do you tons more good than buying a link from botw or similar for lots more.

The page loads plenty fast enough for me. Don't think that's a factor unless you are suffering periods of extreme lag.

Good luck!

Thanks

Comments on this post

• channel5 agrees : Its nicer to be nice :)
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Mar 12th, 2010 at 07:06 AM.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have added us to the main directories e.g. DMOZ, yahoo (still awaiting reply) and have looked at adding us to other directories, yet most want bi-directional linking and I'm not so keen on doing that for now.

I shall look further into other sites that we may link to.

I have found that we have a lot of JavaScript in our code, would that have a great effect on our ranking?

When you say other areas...Could you clarify that statement?

Thanks
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Good suggestions Kernal..

The information that is there is supplied to us by the suppliers of the lights. The downfall is that most of our competitors also provide the same lights and thus have the same or similar information. Changing the info would mean a tweak here and there but the info would still remain the same...

Talking to interior designers and electricians would be a good idea in getting some inbound links at a discount. I shall definitely look into applying this.

Its great news to know that Google has not started to rank sites based on their page load speed, as I really felt that it was the main factor. As we are working hard on our overall SEO.

Thanks
  25. Digital Marketing

You're welcome

To clarify I mean you have pages of information: http://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/Living.html

Are these pages supplied by your suppliers? Or did you think I meant product descriptions?

Note: The jury is out on page load times being a ranking factor.
    Good suggestions Kernal..

The information that is there is supplied to us by the suppliers of the lights. The downfall is that most of our competitors also provide the same lights and thus have the same or similar information. Changing the info would mean a tweak here and there but the info would still remain the same...

Talking to interior designers and electricians would be a good idea in getting some inbound links at a discount. I shall definitely look into applying this.

Its great news to know that Google has not started to rank sites based on their page load speed, as I really felt that it was the main factor. As we are working hard on our overall SEO.

Thanks
  27. Digital Marketing

Here's some info on page speed times as an element of SEO.
    http://videos.webpronews.com/2009/11...tts-interview/

Note: Cutts is a Google Engineer. Everything he says should be verified (not casting dispersions, he's just doing his job)

channel5 agrees: Its nicer to be nice
    Whether you think I am "nice" or not means very little to me.
    If I see someone here ripping people off by offering the services I have fed my family with all these years, I will call attention to it. In this case all I did was qualify the OP, no attempt was made to be disrespectful.

Edited to remove whine
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Mar 12th, 2010 at 08:53 AM.
  29. No Profile Picture

I checked your website, you have only 6 inbound links to your website. You need to increase the inbound links and just by submitting the links to any directories will not yield you much.

You need to bring inbound links from websites related to your content. It is much better than bringing links from directories.

One suggestion to get good inbound links is to track your competitor. Find out from where all your competitor is getting the links and try to do the same.

Regarding On-Page SEO, you don't need to change meta tag or title tag regularly. Quarterly updating is fine. Do it monthly if you have tough competition.
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: