1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Angry Rankings and Traffic following Yoast SEO update "bug"

Hey everyone, was looking for some advice.

I have a client Wordpress site which lost 75% of their organic search traffic immediately after we updated the Yoast SEO plugin version we were using, as a result of the "media attachment bug" that was included in Yoast 7.0-7.2

https://yoast.com/media-attachment-urls/

I went into Google Webmaster Console, downloaded all URL's, identified over 800 bogus media attachment redirect URL's that were created as a result of the bug.

I then manually submitted all of them to GWC URL removal tool, double checked everything to make sure no legit URL's were included.

Those URL removals were completed last week, but since then organic traffic has been even worse.

I resubmitted sitemaps, and rankings haven't seen a huge decrease, but I was kind of expecting things to improve and not get worse following the removal of 800+ bogus URL's.

Any suggestions? Client is becoming worried, "wait a few weeks and lets see what happens" is my last resort as an answer. Need to figure this out since it's a big client, so any advice is much appreciated!
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Maybe you want to fire yoast and hire all in one SEO. Which might be the easiest way.