1. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Questions about "How to build Links in 2013"

I got this following information from a sticky on this site, but I need some clarification.

The sticky says:

1. Strive to get natural links. For example, asking for links is natural and legitimate. You can ask your friends and colleagues, there is nothing wrong with it. (However, do not practice link exchanges.) At a more advanced level, gain links via vigorous content marketing, which is the "scientific" way to gain natural links today (see this sticky about it: Content Marketing Fundamentals As I See Them).
    Question:
    I had someone ask me if they wanted to do a link exchange, I checked out their site, but I decided against it. They where in a different state, I just could not see how this would help us get local clients. I thought it was ok to do a link exchange? He's saying it's not? True or False?

2. Forget about keywords in offsite links. Instead, get links for referral traffic, brand value, and link juice.
    Question
    I have no idea of what he is talking about? Can some please elaborate?

3. Instead of your home page, link to the most relevant internal pages.
    Question
    I get this one, the home page is no longer the landing page of choice....

4. Instead of your sales pages, most links should go to (A) your free information and free resource pages: blogs, white papers, forums, news, events, free downloads, etc., and (B) to your corporate information pages: About Us, Management, Team and so on.
    Thoughts on this
    I totally understand this, we are doing this right now.

5. It doesn't matter so much via what pages fresh link juice is flowing into your site. On your site, organize the flow of link juice from the noncommercial sections of your site into your most important sales pages (which have the right money keywords deployed in the title tags and elsewhere).
    Question
    How does one organize link juice? How do you figure out the link juice element?

thanks
  3. No Profile Picture

Link building is very important and valid point in SEO after google hummingbird updation. Always try to build link with relevant pages with relevant keywords,not focus on home page link.Try to use LSI keywords when you try to use link building.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic : wrong
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

SeoGuy2013,

1) Link Exchanges - The pattern of a link exchange is detectable to an algorithm and engaging in them for the sole purpose of manipulating search results is high-risk and little to no reward. I would say 99.9 out of 100 times, don't do it, don't do it, don't do it!! The only time a link "exchange" is acceptable is if a link to Site B from Site A would be an awesome resource for Site A's visitors and vice versa for Site B's visitors- that's it. And it shouldn't be an "exchange" which implies a quid pro quo arrangement...it should be something that naturally happened over time on it's own, like this:

"Oh, you linked to my site? Why thank you, what a coincidence, I've always found your site to be truly helpful too, which I why I also linked to you. I felt I couldn't be a reliable authority for my own visitors unless I provided a link to your site; not providing this link to my visitors would be a disservice and would diminish my trust and authority in their eyes". (Or something like that).

Even then, in this unlikely-to-happen-in-almost-all-situations-outside-of-academia hypothetical example, I would suggest considering using the nofollow attribute on the link and just using the link as a source of referral traffic and to drive site awareness. Bottom line, you're probably in that 99.9%, not the .1%, so return to first point here - Don't Do It.

2) Keyword in Links - The sticky is referring to the anchor text of the links and the value of links that have relevant keywords in them. In 2013 and beyond, don't chase after keywords in your backlink profile; "branded" links with your domain name in them are considered a trusted signal.

5) Organizing link juice - "link juice" is an inelegant but commonly used term to refer to the authority/power/trust of backlinks to the site. I prefer the term "equity", in the sense of having value (or not). "Organizing" it is a matter of overall site architecture and the internal linking strategies employed on the site. The overall idea is to distribute/funnel/sculpt the link equity from pages that have it to pages that need it ,hence the distinction between commercial (revenue-generating) and non-commercial (purely informational) pages.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by daniel.o; Nov 14th, 2013 at 09:52 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture

Since we are now over more than half way through 2013 we decided it was time to gain a better understanding of how we can create useful back links.After google hummingbird updation, it is very important to use long tail keywords as an anchor tag that are specific and relevant for search result.One think keep in your mind, at the time when you try to build link not always focus on home page.Instead of home page try to use informative page(landing page) or any other informative inner page like about us,blog etc. You can ask your friends or SEO expert, there is nothing wrong with it.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by seotapas
    After google hummingbird updation, it is very important to use long tail keywords as an anchor tag that are specific and relevant for search result...
    What is an "updation", lol? I'm not familiar with that word....