Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question on the Mozilla G-bot

Hi all,

Well, it's back. That new Mozilla 5 gbot is dancing around my sites. I'm not overly thrilled because every theory I've ever had about this bot has not panned out.

A question for those of you who HAVE seen this thing, has ANY of your pages crawled by this new bot ever actually shown up in the index? Or has it always needed a crawl by the original bot.

Thanks,

Owen
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

What is the Mozilla 5 gbot?
  5. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It manifests itself in your logs like this:

66.249.66.180 - - [01/Nov/2004:01:19:46 +0100] "GET /robots.txt HTTP/1.1" 200 484 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)"

...instead of this:

66.249.64.52 - - [08/Oct/2004:17:41:43 +0200] "GET /robots.txt HTTP/1.0" 200 484 "-" "Googlebot/2.1 (+http://www.google.com/bot.html)"

...regardless of the IP address - mind you. The difference lies in the User-Agent string.

There are theories that it's a test bot, or that it looks for outdated/removed or even duplicate pages... I still can't see a clear pattern (sorry Owen )
  7. Sick of BL's, PR + Google
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

This bot has been on my site for the last 4 hours taking 5 pages a minute. These are all new pages never been spidered before.

The interesting thing is that yesterday I had 20 gbots on site all day on and off indexing previously spidered pages but no Mozilla gbot.

Today the Mozilla gbot and the others have gone...

What do you deduce from that Wit?
    I'm just pleased that any gbot is on my site.
    Last edited by thewormman; Nov 1st, 2004 at 03:38 PM.
  9. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g

I can deduce from that "that your site ain't big enough for both of 'em" (or something like that - remember that Sparks song?).

Seriously: more examples, more confusion... One speck of light though (supporting the dup pages theory). Moz.Gbot visited my site yesterday, when it spidered TWO (!) pages, both very similar in structure and content to some of my other pages (they are in fact translations). So the code of those pages is identical to code on some of my other pages (which weren't spidered this time BTW), and the url is similar, but the content differs. If I were a bot, I'd look into that... and it did. Time will tell how it interpreted its findings this time...
  11. Contributing User

I'm getting activity from both bots today. Both Mozilla + normal.

But, i get a hell of a lot more interest from the mozilla one than the normal gbot. Its a very new site, and the normal gbot has only found about 4 pagers. the other bot has spidered about 3,000 so far.
  13. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g

LOL - I guess it's a blackhat bot. (kidding of course)
  15. Contributing User

Well, to be fair - the bot spidering my site might mean something about it being a bot which checks red-flagged sites, maybe.
    I noticed mozillabot on one of my other sites not long before it got banned (indeed, one of my lovely blackhattered sites was finally banned after a year of being alive).

Of course, it was indeed expected. A year was quite a lot of business though, i must say.
    We ended up getting banned because of a guy called "googleguy", of all people. He sent an email via the website saying "blah blah i know you're doing blackhat, google are aware". a day after it'd been removed from google.

But yeah, another site which i'm sure a few people know what i'm talking about (as i mentioned it here a while back), is getting a lot of search engine activity at the moment.
  17. Sick of BL's, PR + Google

Update:

Mozilla Gbot STILL on site and now spidering 4 to 6 pages PER SECOND

4 Normal gbot's have also returned and are taking a more sedate 4 pages/hour each.

Different numbers of indexed pages still showing on different data centres

Something is brewing, last time I saw this bot going this manic was just before the last PR update. I have had in the last two days, pages being indexed, descriptions in the SERPS, then being dropped back to just the URL listed.

And the adsense media bot which works off the same IP has disappeared too.

All hell seems to have broken loose here :-?
    Last edited by thewormman; Nov 1st, 2004 at 03:39 PM.
  19. Mostly sane...

Up to 42545 visits now, all from 66.249.65.72, all MozillaGbot. Seems to be coming in waves, with 5-10 minute breaks in between (smoking? coffee??)

For comparison, in Oct gbot, all versions, visited my site a TOTAL of 79670 times. Weird to have this much activity after the BL update. Does this smell like maybe a PR update?

-Michael

PS. Went to 42931 in the time it took to write this post.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Does anyone see the same filename pattern I do in their logs. For me, its grabbing the files in filename length order.

Ie. it grabbed all the 2-character filenames, then the 3-character filenames, etc.
  23. Mostly sane...

Originally Posted by Owen
    ...it grabbed all the 2-character filenames, then the 3-character filenames, etc.
    Weird, all my pages are numbered, so it's easy to see that pattern too. It's not entirely like that, ie, when it went from the 3 digit to the 4 digit pages, and then the 5 digit pages, some of the 3 and 4 digit pages interleave, but predominantly that is the pattern it's following. Which means, in my case, MozillaGbot is not following links. These must just be the pages that are already stored in G's index.

I had noticed that a ton of my internal links on the link: command were just showing up as URL's, I wonder if GBot is just filling in the missing info now.

-Michael
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

it all makes sense. Huge update coming this week...
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by mvandemar
    Weird, all my pages are numbered, so it's easy to see that pattern too. It's not entirely like that, ie, when it went from the 3 digit to the 4 digit pages, and then the 5 digit pages, some of the 3 and 4 digit pages interleave, but predominantly that is the pattern it's following. Which means, in my case, MozillaGbot is not following links. These must just be the pages that are already stored in G's index.

I had noticed that a ton of my internal links on the link: command were just showing up as URL's, I wonder if GBot is just filling in the missing info now.

-Michael
    I'm fairly sure it IS following links, but sorting them by size first. I say this because one site it's crawling is new and it had never seen the lower pages except on the sitemap pages which it grabbed earlier. And they are sorted alphabetically there.

As for the link: command, I actually got an answer from G on that. No big news, it's broken, and engineering is looking at it. I have one of my sites showing with 580+ backlinks, but the real number is like 76 (so sayeth the guy at google).
  29. Sick of BL's, PR + Google

Originally Posted by mvandemar
    Which means, in my case, MozillaGbot is not following links. These must just be the pages that are already stored in G's index.

-Michael
    All the pages it is following for me have NEVER been indexed before but the pages that contain the links to them were spidered by the normal gbot last week.

The pages being currently spidered are not in the index at all.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: