1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question about hosting and SERP positions

Hello,

We are currently using virtual hosting and are thinking about upgrading to cloud or dedicated hosting.

I have been told and read that cloud/dedicated hosting will/can improve your positions in SERP’s due to cloud and dedicated hosting being faster than virtual hosting.

Would anyone be able to confirm whether this is true or if you use cloud or dedicated hosting and you’ve seen an improvement in your positions?

Also which of the two hosting options would you recommend?

I apologise if this has been posted in the wrong section.

Thanks in advance,

Andy
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

The most important issue is having your own ip address

Originally Posted by andystag
    Hello,

We are currently using virtual hosting and are thinking about upgrading to cloud or dedicated hosting.

I have been told and read that cloud/dedicated hosting will/can improve your positions in SERP’s due to cloud and dedicated hosting being faster than virtual hosting.

Would anyone be able to confirm whether this is true or if you use cloud or dedicated hosting and you’ve seen an improvement in your positions?

Also which of the two hosting options would you recommend?

I apologise if this has been posted in the wrong section.

Thanks in advance,

Andy
    Here is an article I wrote on the importance of having your own ip address http://www.seo-services.com/the-impo...n-seo/general/

If you are on virtual or shared hosting you definitely want a dedicated ip address. This will offer protection from suffering a penalty that others may incur in the same ip.

You also want to make sure you host in the same country that you do your business.

As far as dedicated vs. cloud hosting... I do not think there would be an seo benefit, but dedicated hosting would be better as it offers the most control and protection.

Google has recently started to measure a websites speed as a factor in their algorithm... so if your site is making you money, I would take the server speed into consideration.

I would consider a vps (virtual private server) as the next step above shared hosting, then cloud hosting, and lastly dedicated hosting.
    Last edited by BGreen; Aug 27th, 2010 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Inserted a hyperlink