1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Question about Google Serps

My new site all of two weeks old is getting crawled daily by google and when I query the position of my targetted keywords using allintext: allinanchor: & allintitle: my site appears in the top 250 returned sites. Indeed for the allintext: for my targetted keyphrase for the home page it ranks in at 205 - out of nearly 7million which I am very pleased about seeing as I have minimal links recognised as of yet by the search engines and indeed none so far from google. ( Also it is very very early days as far as SEO the site goes )

However when I do a search for my keyphrase my site is not returned in the top 900 sites out of 7million.

Is this solely down to the fact I still have a PR0 and according to google no inbound links. I have taken out some small sponsoring of a couple of PR6 and PR5 sites, the former being a website for a very very popular forum with over 3000 members and over 150,000 posts ( My banner appears on the footer of all pages and includes my keyphrase in the anchor text ). I have also been in the process of exchanging links using services such as link market and have already established many. In addition I am adding to the content of my site at a rate of a couple of pages a day.

So basically am I going in the right direction with regards to my targeted keyphrase and is there something I have overlooked which is critical for ensuring my site eventually gets a good SERP for my primary targetted keyphrase.

Finally, do having too many alt tag fields with your targetted keyphrase penalise your SERP on google? If so what is the ideal maximum I should look for including.

Many Thanks

Daav
  3. SEO Theorist

Hey Daavros,

I am experiencing the same problem with my new site. I wouldn't even be in the top 1000 for the most obscure keywords! I think this happens to every site under 4 months old. This process is called the sandbox, where Google doesn't allow new sites to rank for their main terms for several months.

This is to prevent people from buying high PR links and hurting old established sites. Also, they want to see if the site will be around that long, unlike many spam sites.

This sandbox occurs regardless of how many high quality links you can purchase or how high your PR is. The key is to keep building content, and DON't overload your pages and ALT tags with your keyword. You must strive to write naturally and that includes your keywords. Also, use some synonyms of your keywords. This has helped my rankings!

Additionally, when you get links, don't link them all to your homepage, link many to your inner pages as well. To a SE, this looks better than all links to the homepage.

After the 3-4 month proving period, your site will likely come out of the sandbox and shoot up in the ranks (depending on how competitive your area is).

Just recently some of my keywords are coming out of the sandbox- I first got indexed by G on June 6th.

So keep up your work! Good Luck!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Your site is extreamly new. To really beat others for a tough keyword I recommend the following:

Get content - Setup a forum, a resource guide, etc.

Get as many backlinks as you can - Buying text links for advertising reasons is not a violation of Google TOS - Only buying them for PR is against the TOS and PR is basicly dead anyways.

To see great serps you really need to play video games all day and wait 6 months to a year to out perform someone ranking for a hard to reach keyword. 2 weeks to Google is like a milisecond.
    Last edited by wyrickj; Sep 2nd, 2004 at 06:41 PM.
  7. search engine voyeur

Time is the key factor with new sites. The old saying "ROME wasnt built in a day rings true here"
  9. Contributing User

Thanks Guys. I appreciate my site is new and fully expect it not to figure anywhere for at least 6 months. I am working on the content daily and have a forum ready to go ;) .
  11. Canine

Is it fair to say that once PR rises above zero, that the "sandbox" period has ended?