1. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Question about content: one page vs multiple pages for content

Hey guys, another question:

I know a lot of the off page SEO as well as on page, however, I'm stuck on this:

On my current project, we have pages for display products (no ecommerce since the products are too customizable so we use it as an online catalog/display)...

Let's say we're selling shoes.. I have a page for Nikes, Addidas, etc.

On the Nike's page, I have one page with a list of shoes.. about 20-40 depending on the make and company. The Nike, Addidas, etc pages are all indexed and rank very well but I was thinking..

What if I took each listing for Nikes, like each shoe and made a separate page for them? So, in addition to listing them, maybe having a read more with the specific shoe like Nike Air Jordans page linking out for the Nikes page to that page?

I would keep the content somewhat the same, but maybe reduce a little of that page...

Will this hurt my SEO? Is it a waste of time to make new pages for these items when they're already indexed on the 'main listing' page? If I kept the listing page the same and just made new pages would this hurt as duplicate content?

Any ideas or theories?
    www.joshz.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email josh@joshz.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by joshz
    Hey guys, another question:

I know a lot of the off page SEO as well as on page, however, I'm stuck on this:

On my current project, we have pages for display products (no ecommerce since the products are too customizable so we use it as an online catalog/display)...

Let's say we're selling shoes.. I have a page for Nikes, Addidas, etc.

On the Nike's page, I have one page with a list of shoes.. about 20-40 depending on the make and company. The Nike, Addidas, etc pages are all indexed and rank very well but I was thinking..

What if I took each listing for Nikes, like each shoe and made a separate page for them? So, in addition to listing them, maybe having a read more with the specific shoe like Nike Air Jordans page linking out for the Nikes page to that page?

I would keep the content somewhat the same, but maybe reduce a little of that page...

Will this hurt my SEO? Is it a waste of time to make new pages for these items when they're already indexed on the 'main listing' page? If I kept the listing page the same and just made new pages would this hurt as duplicate content?

Any ideas or theories?
    I think that if you're adding these 'detail' pages for your products, it is beneficial to your website. However, if this 'detail' page contains exactly the same content as the 'list' page, then this won't have any effect at all, or might even get you a duplicate content penalty.
    Add those detail pages if they add more content to the specific product. If it's the same content, then it has no sense, and you shouldn't do it.
  5. SEO Consultant

Originally Posted by BailHope
    I think that if you're adding these 'detail' pages for your products, it is beneficial to your website. However, if this 'detail' page contains exactly the same content as the 'list' page, then this won't have any effect at all, or might even get you a duplicate content penalty.
    Add those detail pages if they add more content to the specific product. If it's the same content, then it has no sense, and you shouldn't do it.
    That's my worry. That and if I take SOME info off the list page to put on the product page Google might change the SERP of that page - which is doing fairly well in SEO's... I just wanted more exposure esp. for the long tail keywords
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

My long tail traffic is 32 times my non long tail, and I break down my sites just like so

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees
  9. SEO Consultant

Originally Posted by AlexTampa
    My long tail traffic is 32 times my non long tail, and I break down my sites just like so
    So what would you suggest I do, would you be concerned with losing the traffic to that original 'list' page?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

So what would you suggest I do, would you be concerned with losing the traffic to that original 'list' page?
    I personally wouldn't be. I would think it is more important to direct users directly to the correct product, as opposed to offering them a list of products from which to choose.

You can always have a section like "Related products" or something on your detail page to make sure the user checks around your site.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Detail Pages are Great for SEO, just make sure they each have unique content.

SEO Tree Structure

Root/Branch/Leaves

Your "Detail Pages" are your Leaves.

Domain.com/Nike/Air-Jordans-2011/

Like Alex, I have my site up this way and wouldn't have it any other way. Great for Long Tails.
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I would be more concerned with the user landing exactly where they wanted to land.

THEN, try some on page stimuli to get them to browse further