1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question about the benefits/drawbacks of using stop words in keywords

I've looked at a number of similar questions to this but can't find a proper answer...

Let's say I want to write an article about 'apples and dieting', I do some research on the Adwords Tool and it tells me that:

- 'apples and dieting' gets 1000 searches a month
    - 'apples dieting' gets 5000 searches a month

I'm confused here for two reasons:

(1) Why is Google telling me there are different search volumes for a term only differentiated by a stop word? I thought that Google ignores stop words?

(2) Given that I want to write an article that makes sense, I can't repeat the keyword 'apples dieting' 10 times in an article. Surely I have to go with 'apples and dieting' and forfeit the larger search volume?

Can someone help me out here? Am I totally misunderstanding something here?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Placing 'Apples and Dieting' is fine as long as it's not over the keyword threshold. You can still get good ranking for the other keyword 'apples dieting' without putting the keyword in although obviously you will not get as many as the previous and placing 'apples and dieting' does make more sense if your creating an article/blog as it's more readable (depends what your content is about and with no link it's not easy to answer this fully). You could place other keywords to grab more visitors such as 'apples for dieting', 'dieting with apples' etc etc, pick 'n' mix it.

And also adwords keywords tool is an estimator, don't use it as solid stone.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by tmt1717
    I've looked at a number of similar questions to this but can't find a proper answer...

Let's say I want to write an article about 'apples and dieting', I do some research on the Adwords Tool and it tells me that:

- 'apples and dieting' gets 1000 searches a month
    - 'apples dieting' gets 5000 searches a month

I'm confused here for two reasons:

(1) Why is Google telling me there are different search volumes for a term only differentiated by a stop word? I thought that Google ignores stop words?

(2) Given that I want to write an article that makes sense, I can't repeat the keyword 'apples dieting' 10 times in an article. Surely I have to go with 'apples and dieting' and forfeit the larger search volume?

Can someone help me out here? Am I totally misunderstanding something here?
    Hi tmt1717,

(1) Your first point as I understand it is why does Google bother to tell me the volume of the keyword phrase with a stop word included if it then just ignores the stop words in the keyword phrases you want to target on your site . The first thing to note is that Google is showing you the difference in volume for the keyword phrase with and without stop words because these are different keyword phrases. Point 6 'Terms nearby' from the following article Interpreting Your Google Query - Google Guide explains that google considers the proximity of your keywords or in other words, how many words separate them from each other.

E.g

If a search query, lets say 'Apples and dieting' were to be entered into google, all other ranking factors aside, the search engine gives priority to pages that contain the keywords Apple, dieting separated by one word.

2. Everyone is in the same boat when it comes to the problem you're having. It goes without saying that it's important to make your content read well and sound natural. Using the term, Apples and dieting should get you ranking for the query 'Apples dieting' anyway as it is only a stop word separating them and along as the keyword density of both 'Apples' and 'dieting' is high enough to let google know that this page is relevant to those keywords you should be OK. Something else you could consider using are Latent Semantic Indexed keywords (LSI). These are words that are often associated with your keywords such as 'fruit' and 'health' or 'weight loss'. By using these LSI keywords, you can enforce the relevance of your page whilst varying the text in your content to make it sound more natural and make for a better read. You can find LSI keywords by inputting your keywords into google search and see what additional words are auto suggested. You can also use http://lsikeywords.com, just input your keywords and you'll get a list of words most commonly used by other sites who also target those keywords.

Good luck