1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Queries about Links

Hi Guyz

There are three queries related to SEO

1) A banner link or a text link, which one is more beneficial if pointing towards your site?

2) If a link opens in new window, or the same window, which one is more beneficial?

3) If I have an anchor text suppose "massage therapy" then will I get some ranking on Google if someone search with only "Massage"

Thanks

Regards,
    Ross
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

1) Text links. Higher CTR and greater relevance.
    2) No difference.
    3) Yes, you can expect a boost.
    SootleDir - When only the finest link will do | Webmaster Forum |
  5. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

1) Text link, definitely, even if the banner has good alt attributes etc.

2) Doesn't really matter, but I feel that if it's opened in the SAME window, some search engines will suspect (now, or soon) it's not a real outbound link but a link to a page from the same webmaster. So that means it could get less value. To be safe, I'd go for links opeing in a new window.

3) Yes, but the value will be (far) less than a link saying just "massage". Jasontnyc posted about that a couple of times.
    That said, I wouldn't change all my inbound links' anchor texts to "massage" if I were you. That would look extremely unnatural...

Good luck...
    Last edited by Wit; Feb 18th, 2005 at 08:07 AM. Reason: LilOptimizer beat me to it, LOL. We wrote more or less the same info, so we're probably right about this ;)
    ...please help me w/ the real Redscowl Bluesingsky...how2 check backlinks...now postin' @ SEO Refugee ...
    <`)~ LOL now that I finally have a paypal account, I'm charging 19,- for SEO advice via PM. Seriously...
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Wit
    1) some search engines will suspect (now, or soon) it's not a real outbound link but a link to a page from the same webmaster.

Never heard this wisdom before, please explain why
  9. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g

I hope - first of all - that you rightly interpreted my wording as speculation. Now, on that note...

It's common practise to link to external pages using stuff like <a target="_blank"...>. That way, if people click on the (external) link, they still have the original window (containing your page) open, enabling them to easily return if the external link proves to be cr@p

This relation between external links and target=_blank can be reversed... If you're looking for a tell-tale sign if a link points to an external site, then - other than the #1 sign: the url - the target window is not so bad.

Now imagine someone trying to interlink two or three sites, thus getting (pagerank) benefit from the apparent external links. This person probably does NOT want to open a window for every link clicked.

If I were a search engine engineer, looking for a quick&dirty way to spot artificial external links (or unnecessarily interlinked sites - depends on how you look at it), I'd look at the way the newly opened pages blended into the "session". Same window = same webmaster interlinking = must be a SEO = deserves a micro-penalty.

Note, I'm talking about quick & dirty methods here, neglecting all possible legit reasons to go against the flow...
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Wit
    If I were a search engine engineer, looking for a quick&dirty way to spot artificial external links (or unnecessarily interlinked sites - depends on how you look at it), I'd look at the way the newly opened pages blended into the "session". Same window = same webmaster interlinking = must be a SEO = deserves a micro-penalty.
    With browsers and toolbars now incorporating means to block pop-up windows, wouldn't it be in the SE's best interest NOT to encourage links that open new windows.
  13. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g

Originally Posted by Sweat
    With browsers and toolbars now incorporating means to block pop-up windows, wouldn't it be in the SE's best interest NOT to encourage links that open new windows.
    I don't know... Of course if you click on a link, and it opens a new window (in a direct way) it is not blocked by most decent pop-up blockers. You'd lose half the web if they DID block these... ;)