Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. :::::::::::::::::::::
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Quality or Quantity of BL

OK - I know that everyone will say that quality of BL is more important (and I agree), but what do you do when the quantity of the quality sites will not get you to the top? Do you for quantity?

Also how do you define quality or quantity of BL's?
    ** Do you want links on 10+ directories?
    ** Each directory is on a Unique C-Class IP & range from PR3 to PR5.
    ** If you are interested then Please Submit Your Site...
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Offcourse Quality Links are Good for your site

Yes, without any doubt Quality Links are more beneficial then quantity of links.

Quality links are those Links which considering all the below principles:

1.) Page Rank of the linking webpage
    2.) Total outgoing links on the linking webpage
    3.) Industry relevance of the linking webpage
    4.) Page relevance
    5.) Keywords in anchor text
    6.) Dynamic Link Pages
    7.) Java Script Link Pages
    8.) Re-Directed Links
    9.) Frame Sites Links
    10.) Directory Depth

And Quantity represents the number of back links without considering the entire above major criterion.

So to take the advantage of link Building, a lot of care should be taken place while submitting your link. And if you do so, you will surely get benefit.
    Last edited by sharonsingh; Jul 1st, 2005 at 02:30 AM.
  5. :::::::::::::::::::::

I fully understand all of those factors.

My question is - if quality does not get you to the top, will you have no choice but to go for quantity?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Noj
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I don't understand this.

Go for as many and as high quality links as you can.

Both are factors, its like asking should I work more hours or for a higher rate of pay for most money? You do both!

You do both, quality is more productive than quantity, but any links good.

Originally Posted by sgroup

My question is - if quality does not get you to the top, will you have no choice but to go for quantity?
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by sgroup

If i am not wrong quantity of unreated and unethical links can make the site penalized. you might have heard about Link Farming.

So it is better to go for quality links. For the site ranking you can use good keywords, optimize your site content regularly or there are other fundas to make your site popular.

But as per as my suggestion is concerned, going for quanitity of links is not appropreiate, instead of taking you in top position it can ban your site.

I have an example. I worked on this site "www.a1websitedesign.com" This site is good enough but due to quanity of links this site didn't come up on the top positions. So i would prefer to go quality links.

After having this bad experience i did the optimization for this site "www.segnant.com" which is going pretty well and have PR4. When i started link building program i simply went for quality links and here is a result "Good Ranking + Good Hits"**
  11. E-marketing

i think when you are getting backlinks from other sites that time you dont have choice of what quality backlinks you are getting from that perticular website.

so that i will suggest you that you should always think about increase backlinks only, bcos we have control on our websites(bl receiver) only not other websites(bl providers).

quality is improtrant ofcource!

if your website having backlinks from good pr websites then definatly your website will get good ranking.

quantity also important!

if your website having backlinks from average pr webpages that time if your website having quantity of backlinks that time also your website will get good ranking.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Noj
    I don't understand this.

Go for as many and as high quality links as you can.

Both are factors, its like asking should I work more hours or for a higher rate of pay for most money? You do both!

You do both, quality is more productive than quantity, but any links good.
    Yes i fully agree with you. But i would like to stress on this point that instead of wasting time, one should go for quality and quality links whether 100 or 200 or more.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Getting good backlinks is damn hard work.
    With a new site I create 2 or 3 links from some of the other sites I manage (some SEO's would advise to stay clear of inter-linking sites with the same owner) or by trading links with friends/other webmasters I know.
    I try NOT to use the same link text for more than one or two inbound links and avoid reciprocal links like the plague.

There are so many spam directory sites that are clearly auto-generated (by crawling links and content) which will inevitable link to you at some point. These damn things will get you hundreds of poor quality and even off-topic links.

So invest time and effort in quality links because you'll get quantity over time anyway.
  17. rubik's cube - 34 secs

Originally Posted by JonPick
    and avoid reciprocal links like the plague.
    Interesting comment.

Care to let us in on why they should be avoided like the plague?

Reciprocal linking with other sites or a simular theme works. Simple as that really.
  19. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

In my opinion most sites benefit from a strategy that includes "all of the above". Its easy to say, just get quality links, but in practice there is more to it.

High quality links tend to take more time or money. They are still valuable and necesary but I believe if that is all you focus on, especially with a new site, you are leaving a bit on the table.

Quantity can get you indexed faster and still provide a benefit. There are many ways to get quantity and I believe they can be useful if they don't use too much of your 2 most important resources: Time and Money.

I believe that its a myth that recips have no value. Will that be the case in the future? Maybe. But if done right there is still value.

I never understand why its an "either, or" situation. A good SEO explores and utilizes all options.

This thread is unfortunately boiling down to a question of which is better rather than an analysis of how much you should have of each.

Some of us own a lot of sites and to turn away less than stellar links that would take 10 seconds to attain is inneffecient. For Instance, I sometimes create tools that give me a high quantity of links. Are they all quality? No, many are unrelated blogs and forum posts but to me they are essential for so many reasons, one of them being SEO.
  21. No Profile Picture

Quantity can get you indexed faster and still provide a benefit. There are many ways to get quantity and I believe they can be useful if they don't use too much of your 2 most important resources: Time and Money.

...For Instance, I sometimes create tools that give me a high quantity of links. Are they all quality? No, many are unrelated blogs and forum posts but to me they are essential for so many reasons, one of them being SEO.
    No, i don't believe in this. I might be wrong. But as per my experience i oppose this. Only quality links can help you. No doubt earlier google only looked for backlinks but not new google update says that quantity doesn't matter but yes quality matters.

And i have lost my faith on tools that add your site to many search engines or hosting sites. They are all non valuable. I never submit my site to such tools.

Rather i prefer to wait for some time.
    Last edited by SEO_AM; Jul 1st, 2005 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Help with quotes for the poster.
  23. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by sharonsingh
    No, i don't believe in this. I might be wrong. But as per my experience i oppose this. Only quality links can help you. No doubt earlier google only looked for backlinks but not new google update says that quantity doesn't matter but yes quality matters.
    Its not about quality mattering or not. Quality matters for all kinds of reasons. But to say only quality links are recognized period, just isn't true.

It comes down to how much they are recognized. I don't believe there is a line in the sand where some links don't count at all but if they pass a threshold, suddenly they are counted.

Instead like everything there is a value attached. After all, I can rank for a reginal or less competetive keyword with a bunch of non relevant links. Does that mean thats my strategy? No

But if I can be aquiring links of any kind as a small percentage of my total links with little or no effort, it will benefit my SERPs

And i have lost my faith on tools that add your site to many search engines.
    I of course agree with this
  25. Mostly sane...

Originally Posted by sharonsingh
    I have an example. I worked on this site "www.a1websitedesign.com" This site is good enough but due to quanity of links this site didn't come up on the top positions.
    I have no idea what you were aiming for on this website, but Yahoo shows a total of 370 bl's, with 124 of them being non-sitewides. That doesn't sound like anywhere near enough to be ranking for a website design company. Why are you saying you were penalized for "too many" links?

-Michael
    Enjoy Poetry?
    Get a Home Equity Loan or Mortgage Refinancing today!
    Potential Bad Neighborhood checker.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by marcO
    Interesting comment.

Care to let us in on why they should be avoided like the plague?

Reciprocal linking with other sites or a simular theme works. Simple as that really.
    Gosh... sorry - maybe I was a bit too hastey with the "avoid reciprocals"
    I just seem to remember a while back that there was a fair amount of speculation that a reciprocal link would cancel itself out... maybe it had more to do with not carrying as much weight as a on-way link.
    As a result I have always avoided reciprocals... it's made my linking campaign bloomin' hard work tho'!... hmmm...
    My only evidence is that I have a set of about 10 closely related sites - they all point to each other - and google dropped them out of the SERPS within a year of setting up.
    They all get crawled and have a cache entry... a couple even have a PR of 4... but they never get returned in the SERPS from G for any searches I try.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

My only evidence is that I have a set of about 10 closely related sites - they all point to each other - and google dropped them out of the SERPS within a year of setting up.
    They all get crawled and have a cache entry... a couple even have a PR of 4... but they never get returned in the SERPS from G for any searches I try.
    Are you sure you havn't been sandboxed?

This guy's business is about linking, so I think you'll find his website quite useful, especially his articles about reciprocal linking:
    linkstrategy.com

1.) Page Rank of the linking webpage
    2.) Total outgoing links on the linking webpage
    3.) Industry relevance of the linking webpage
    4.) Page relevance
    5.) Keywords in anchor text
    6.) Dynamic Link Pages
    7.) Java Script Link Pages
    8.) Re-Directed Links
    9.) Frame Sites Links
    10.) Directory Depth
    1.)It is debatable whether or not PR means anything. Many people say it plays a minor role in the rankings though. However, I believe PR is very useful to help you get links from webmasters who don't know better and still believe that PR is a major factor in rankings.

2.)I've heard several times and I think google themself may have mentioned that after so many links (100 or so, I'm not sure) they simply stop counting the rest of the links on the page - therefore this "quality" factor would either be a yes or a no as to whether your link will be indexed.

3.)This is very debatable - I've seen several examples of people who get links from non-related sites and still rank well. The guy at linkstrategy.com talks about themeing in his "Linking and 'What Matters'" article.

4.)Is this the same thing as # 3?

5.)Anchor text obviously matters, but some people believe that using the same anchor text in all of your links will get your site penalized - I guess this could count in terms of quality though.

6.-9.)I believe that if you get a link associated with any of these - it's not going to be indexed - this would be a yes or no factor and can't be rated in terms of quality.

10.)I suppose a link on a page closer to the index directory on a website would allow it to be indexed faster, but I don't think that google would not give the link full credit due to this.

linkstrategy.com is not my website btw
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: