1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

quality content | single page

Hi,

I am a new student of SEO. Besides dozens of articles, free starter guides from Google, seomoz, I have also read a book on SEO that is by now 3 years old and I don't know if it's still applicable. By the way, if there are new books that I can read on paper or kindle, please recommend. I really enjoy paper or kindle ink much better than computer screen.

Anyway, my two specific issues:

----------------
    I understand quality content is vital, but the website I want to optimize is a website that's looking for customers to buy customized high-dollar projects. A digital photography or seo or pc troubleshooting blog or whatever kind of informative blog has brand new content every day, like great articles, tips, reviews, etc.

Can samples of the custom projects we have completed be turned into "quality content?" We have done some spectacular work. But we don't complete a project every day to where the "content" is always fresh.

Any ideas on how to create additional quality content?

Tied in with the above, SEOmoz believes (I think I read it correctly) concentrating content to a single page. In other words, if all our projects have to do with, say, high-end home theater, I'd put all the samples of our work on /high-end-home-theater.html page and use internal (and external) links to it with appropriate anchor text, i.e., "high-end home theater." All this as opposed to creating a page/article/post for each project.

What is your take on this?
    ----------------

Thank you,
    Costica
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Can samples of the custom projects we have completed be turned into "quality content?" We have done some spectacular work. But we don't complete a project every day to where the "content" is always fresh.
    Great idea, you are already thinking along the correct lines. Be creative, think of things related to the projects you have done, or industry problems, or methods you employed that solve particular issues or are in some way related to your niche.

I think what you are referring to is the general rule of thumb, target one keyword per page. It also makes sense (typically but not always) to have longer more in depth articles rather than several stubs.

I would definitely keep each project separate and your site may well be a candidate for tagging keywords.
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Your coming along just fine.,, compared to most.

But we don't complete a project every day to where the "content" is always fresh.
    Firstly you don't need fresh content on a daily basis. One or two a week will suffice.

I'd put all the samples of our work on /high-end-home-theater.html page and use internal (and external) links to it with appropriate anchor text, i.e., "high-end home theater."
    Internal links are fine, but on your external links your best bet would be:
    high
    end
    home
    theater
    You'll cover a lot more territory this way. And you'll only need one or maybe two exact match "high end home theater' links to rank for that term.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by tstolber
    I think what you are referring to is the general rule of thumb, target one keyword per page. It also makes sense (typically but not always) to have longer more in depth articles rather than several stubs.

I would definitely keep each project separate and your site may well be a candidate for tagging keywords.
    Thank you, tstolber.

Sorry, I am a bit confused. Do you mean put portfolio projects on separate pages or not? I don't know "candidate for tagging keywords is." If yes (put my portfolio projects on different pages), what would my longer, in-depth articles, be?

------------------
    Originally Posted by Test-ok
    Internal links are fine, but on your external links your best bet would be:
    high
    end
    home
    theater
    You'll cover a lot more territory this way. And you'll only need one or maybe two exact match "high end home theater' links to rank for that term.
    thank you, test-ok.

Let me see if I understand correctly: have an article that links the word "high" individually and then later in the article link "end" individually and so on? And if yes, link to all of the individual words to the same root.com/high-end-home-theater.html ?

Thank you.
    Last edited by costica; Jan 16th, 2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: clarification
  9. No Profile Picture

may I please politely bring these clarification questions back up?
  11. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If your site has a bunch of links with anchor text of those words, you'll also be covering home theater, high end theater, high end home theater and if you add another word like buy the words are mixed and match. These are external links and not the internal ones. This is something I have to give credit to fathom for and I hope I got it right, which is where I picked it up from and if I'm wrong he'll let me know.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by costica
    Thank you, tstolber.

Sorry, I am a bit confused. Do you mean put portfolio projects on separate pages or not? I don't know "candidate for tagging keywords" is.

If yes (put my portfolio projects on different pages), what would my longer, in-depth articles, be?
    tstolber, do you have a second to answer my question, please?

Anyone else's input is welcome.
  15. No Profile Picture

The most important aspect of Search Engine Optimization is working diligently to insure that they information that you have on your web site is as high of quality as possible. Yes, you can use various tricks of the trade to improve your site's returns but high quality content is the best approach.