1. No Profile Picture
    qto
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by realityhack
    Your kidding right? You don't think anyone talks about those animals in reference to your shirts? As in... I want this cool Werewolf shirt from xyz?
    Who cares if YOU don't call it a werewolf shirt.

Also keep in mind that with very low traffic you can barely tell the difference between keywords and aberrations. If you got 600 hits a day on Metalica is a Werewolf then you would have an issue. Get one or two in a week and it could just be a fluke of the algorithm. Any webmaster who goes down to the 2 hits a month zone is going to find some strange key phrases.
    Of course I know its possible to get traffic on these words and yes they are relevant to a tiny degree, but the point was that these are the TOP keywords since the 21. december.. I don't get traffic on the "big face pug t-shirt" and so on, which I got plenty of before this happened.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by qto
    But my title/desc tags should be fine unless you talk about the individual portfolio items, which I haven't given much effort as I was told these are not important to focus on. On the blog it should be fine with these things. I have also created content to each category as well as the front page, though it still needs work. But a 1/5?
    I think he was saying the items he listed were one Fifth of your problems.

Look. Everybody thinks their site rocks. I thought the site my company had rocked... looking back a few years, it sucked. Might have been the best in the industry... but it sucked.

Look at Joshz's reputation and post count. He's been around the block. Your site sucks. Nobody said your product did or that you couldn't fix the problem. We just said it sucks right now. And Joshz pointed out some specifics, and told you that fixing only those things won't fix your site.

Frankly you need a new host, and a redesign. You will be surprised how much juice that can get you. People like the site, they buy something, they link to you.
    Right now if I followed a link to your site I would back-browse before the page even loaded. NOT a good thing for you.
  5. No Profile Picture
    qto

I think he was saying the items he listed were one Fifth of your problems.

Look. Everybody thinks their site rocks. I thought the site my company had rocked... looking back a few years, it sucked. Might have been the best in the industry... but it sucked.

Look at Joshz's reputation and post count. He's been around the block. Your site sucks. Nobody said your product did or that you couldn't fix the problem. We just said it sucks right now. And Joshz pointed out some specifics, and told you that fixing only those things won't fix your site.

Frankly you need a new host, and a redesign. You will be surprised how much juice that can get you. People like the site, they buy something, they link to you.
    Right now if I followed a link to your site I would back-browse before the page even loaded. NOT a good thing for you.
    I don't think my site rock. I have never said that. I just want to get back in the search engines and I am aware there are things I need to work on, but since the site is pretty simple I would like to have pointers in terms of what I should work on.

I know I need a new host, but the design is subjective to taste. I've gotten compliments as well, but nevermind that. All I am looking for here is tips to fix it.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by qto
    Of course I know its possible to get traffic on these words and yes they are relevant to a tiny degree, but the point was that these are the TOP keywords since the 21. december.. I don't get traffic on the "big face pug t-shirt" and so on, which I got plenty of before this happened.
    People actually type 'big face pug t-shirt' into google? who knew.
    Anyway, Google is always changing and tweaking things. That load time issue? Google cares. Other people gaining links faster than you? bye bye google.

All it takes is for you to go from #10 to #11 which is what happened for you to loose most of your traffic.
  9. No Profile Picture
    qto

People actually type 'big face pug t-shirt' into google? who knew.
    Anyway, Google is always changing and tweaking things. That load time issue? Google cares. Other people gaining links faster than you? bye bye google.

All it takes is for you to go from #10 to #11 which is what happened for you to loose most of your traffic.
    Yeah, they actually do because those are the titles of the t-shirts :-)!

I have tried to figure out the load time, and problem is that it downloads all the jpegs in their full size. There should be a way to fix it right?! I have the super cache pluging which helps, but not for the first-time visitors... But just exactly how much the load time will damage my rankings, I would like to know!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by qto
    I don't think my site rock. I have never said that. I just want to get back in the search engines and I am aware there are things I need to work on, but since the site is pretty simple I would like to have pointers in terms of what I should work on.

I know I need a new host, but the design is subjective to taste. I've gotten compliments as well, but nevermind that. All I am looking for here is tips to fix it.
    See my previous post for what happened to your traffic. One position can mean the world.

You are going to need to get more popular and attract links to get back on the first page. Loads of stickies here about that.

Start by getting a new host, breaking up your page, and compressing your images to decrease load times. No matter what the site looks like... NOBODY wants to wait.
    You can A/B split specific designs, cross linking, etc. to see what converts. But fix the big obvious stuff first. WAIT!!.... WTF! just clicked on a shirt... NO PRICE? Really? No obvious way to choose a size?

God.... fix your site man.
  13. No Profile Picture
    qto

See my previous post for what happened to your traffic. One position can mean the world.

You are going to need to get more popular and attract links to get back on the first page. Loads of stickies here about that.

Start by getting a new host, breaking up your page, and compressing your images to decrease load times. No matter what the site looks like... NOBODY wants to wait.
    You can A/B split specific designs, cross linking, etc. to see what converts. But fix the big obvious stuff first. WAIT!!.... WTF! just clicked on a shirt... NO PRICE? Really? No obvious way to choose a size?

God.... fix your site man.
    If you read the OP you would know that I was ranking well on my keyword group. E.g. I was on page 1 on "epic shirts". Today I'm not even found in the top100. That was the main problem. That I was completely disregarded in the search engines. So it's not like its one position. Its all positions!

It is an affiliate site which is why you cant choose size and why I have chosen not to provide price tag (because the price varies from US to Europe).
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by qto
    I have tried to figure out the load time, and problem is that it downloads all the jpegs in their full size. There should be a way to fix it right?! I have the super cache pluging which helps, but not for the first-time visitors... But just exactly how much the load time will damage my rankings, I would like to know!
    1. For page load times assume all visitors are first time visitors. Yes visitors may hit the same page again or come back... but make it perfect for first time visitors and the rest is cake...mmmm cake.
    2. Google will not tell you how much *anything* effects their rankings. That's the point from their end.
    3. Ah you have identified the issue. lots of large Jpegs.
    a) fewer J-pegs - use categories so your landing page isn't 60 billion images
    b) use higher compression - Those aren't the final big Jpeg and the customer might be willing to wait later, so right now degrade quality a little for speed.
    c) Is the jpeg format the right one? Consider other file formats

4. Your server is definitely part of the issue. Even smaller pages load badly but the above should help.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I typed in the full phrase you sited 'big face pug t-shirt' and found you in spot 11.

You can do both a US and Euro price. Not providing price will definitely hurt you on the conversion end.
    Same with sizes... why would I 'add to cart' If I don't know I can later pick XXL?
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Look I have to get back to real work, but in the end you are just an affiliate pushing something twenty other sites are. And you aren't doing as well as they are. See:

Stop ragging on Google and make the web a better place
  21. No Profile Picture
    qto

1. For page load times assume all visitors are first time visitors. Yes visitors may hit the same page again or come back... but make it perfect for first time visitors and the rest is cake...mmmm cake.
    2. Google will not tell you how much *anything* effects their rankings. That's the point from their end.
    3. Ah you have identified the issue. lots of large Jpegs.
    a) fewer J-pegs - use categories so your landing page isn't 60 billion images
    b) use higher compression - Those aren't the final big Jpeg and the customer might be willing to wait later, so right now degrade quality a little for speed.
    c) Is the jpeg format the right one? Consider other file formats

4. Your server is definitely part of the issue. Even smaller pages load badly but the above should help.
    Thanks for the tips! I know I probably havent choosed the right theme... I guess I've learned the hard way, because it took me a long time to make it right in terms of Snorg Tees - New Funny T-Shirts Every Week - Cool Graphic Tee Shirt they have even more contentless pages and yet they are doing well in the search engines.
  23. No Profile Picture
    qto

I typed in the full phrase you sited 'big face pug t-shirt' and found you in spot 11.

You can do both a US and Euro price. Not providing price will definitely hurt you on the conversion end.
    Same with sizes... why would I 'add to cart' If I don't know I can later pick XXL?
    It says below the buttons that they are available in all sizes.
  25. No Profile Picture
    qto

Look I have to get back to real work, but in the end you are just an affiliate pushing something twenty other sites are. And you aren't doing as well as they are. See:

Stop ragging on Google and make the web a better place
    I don't do affiliate marketing because I want to rag google and be a spammy idiot like 90% of other affiliates.. If you read a couple of the blog post you would know that it is long quality posts with unique content, but I guess I have to provide a lot more quality content...
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

> sizes
    If I missed it other people did too. Remember what matters is the USERS see not what is actually ON the page.

> Blog
    I didn't read your blog. Not sure why anyone would. I just looked at t-shirts. The specific shirts are things lots of people have. No real value add given your poor site design.
  29. No Profile Picture
    qto

> sizes
    If I missed it other people did too. Remember what matters is the USERS see not what is actually ON the page.

> Blog
    I didn't read your blog. Not sure why anyone would. I just looked at t-shirts. The specific shirts are things lots of people have. No real value add given your poor site design.
    Well, to some it's nice to read about the t-shirts as they are pretty unique. Also I have to provide some kind of content. I agree that most people just look at the t-shirts, but if I don't got content, it'll be difficult to be found in the search engines, right?