1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Publish a 10,000 word guide on one page, cumulatively? Or save it for all at once?

Do you know of any clear dangers of publishing a Buyer's Guide in progress, instead of all at once?

It's to be a 10,000 word guide on a smart home security system setup.

My hypothesis is: Publishing it early will give it a head start on its life. I can add to it each day over a period of two weeks. Google will finally index it in its final form.

I think there's nothing to be lost. No risk. But I'm a mere newbie.

What do you think?
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I wouldn't use one page, I'd break it down into categories and have one page link to the different categories.

Comments on this post

• JohnAimit agrees
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

You give us little info on which to offer definitive advice.

I would support Test-ok's advice.

Start with an "index" or contents page that summarises and links to what is in each section of your guide then create a bunch of topic specific pages. You may end up with 11 x 1,000 word pages with this strategy. Do it right and you should attract many times the SE referrals as a single 10,000 word page.
  7. Digital Marketing

Bad advice so far: You guys are always pontificating "BUILD BEST OF THE WEB CONTENT AND THE LINKS WILL COME" then you tell this bloke to dilute his awesome sauce content! At least tell him to test it. Here's what I would do: Put it on one page, make sure all of the elements of SEO are properly placed on the page and see how it ranks organically. Maybe it will be good enough to draw its own links naturally!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

As said, we have little info to go on...

The first question should be how and where will readers want the information?

It could be that some will only read it online but others may want a downloadable version for offline access.

Perhaps the answer is to provide the info on web pages and as a PDF file.

Example Search: google beginners guide to seo

That query will get you these two links near the top of the SERPs.

1. A PDF file: Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide - Google

This is a 30+ page document that ranks top for the one search phrase.

The trouble is, that must be near the end of the search queries that find it.

If you take some of its chapter headings, it does not rank top 10 in SERPs. Eg. try these chapter heading searches:

• Improve the structure of your URLs
    • How to make your site easier to navigate
    • Write better anchor text

None of them find the Google document in the top 10.

2. The alternative is the approach taken by Moz.

SEO: The Beginner's Guide to Search Engine Optimization - Moz

It publishes its guide over 11 web pages and offers a downloadable PDF version.

The difference is that if people search for topics related to the guide's web page chapters, the guide then gets page #1 for many of them. Eg. Try these searches based on the individual chapter headings:

• Improve the structure of your URLs
    • How to make your site easier to navigate
    • How to grow website popularity and links
    • How do people use search engines
    • What myths are there about search engines
    • What myths are there about search engines
    • Etc., etc.

If a major objective is to attract new clients via generic SE referrals then a single page format is going to severely limit the range of search queries where that page will be seen.
  11. SEO Since 97

Yep it depends on the content, putting it in a structure would give more titles and imho it'll tell Google it's a good resource, again depending on the content and the niche. I have to disagree that it's bad advice nor is it being deluted in any way and if it's kick *** content it will get natural links.
    Last edited by Test-ok; May 10th, 2017 at 07:35 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Not only that, with the PDF version linked from every page, it gives searchers 11 different search topics to find links to the full version.
  15. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Hmnn good question and equally good answers.
    TestOK and AohnAimit suggest breaking it down and KernelPanic says keep it on one page.

Dividing the 10,000 word guide into 10 pages does not make it any more readable or searchable than 10,000 words on a single page.
    As long as the table of content is on at the beginning of the guide and there are good navigation links for the user to navigate up and down the page, it should not be a problem.

However, I depending on the nature of the guide
    1. If it features lots of screenshots or diagrams then of a long page will have poor loading time. So multiple page approach wins
    2. If there are long tail keywords for various parts of the long guide then again I would prefer multiple page approach over single page approach.
    3. One long article has a bigger chance of drawing back-links than multiple pages. In this case Single page approach wins
    4. Multiple interconnected documents tend to perform better due to internal linking benefits and information architecture.
    5. Maintaining one page may be easier over 11 pages.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi NewDelhi,
    How would you suggest getting around the huge loss of SE referrals that your single web page implementation solution could lose?

I must take exception to these two of your assumptions:
    • One long article has a bigger chance of drawing back-links than multiple pages. In this case Single page approach wins (WHY?)
    • Multiple interconnected documents tend to perform better due to internal linking benefits and information architecture. (WHY?)

For a start, why do you presume any backlinks are needed? We know nothing about the poster's target market and external links may not even be needed.

Even if backlinks are important, the ability to link direct to a PDF file or PDF download page that attracts folk by providing answers to multiple search queries has got to generate better results.

Your other point, "Multiple interconnected documents tend to perform better"...

I'm unclear on what you mean by this but I think you mean that a group of 11 pages linked within a website should get a ranking boost because of the site's internal links.

I'd agree with this. It's partly why I suggest 11 pages about various topics relevant to G's SE ranking algorithm should generate more generic search referrals than a single web page version.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; May 11th, 2017 at 04:42 AM.
  19. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

2. If there are long tail keywords for various parts of the long guide then again I would prefer multiple page approach over single page approach.
    What if there are no searches? Only one search like XYZ Operation Guide / XYZ operating Mannual kind of searches only.
    But if there are searches for various sections (topics) in the long articles it better be broken into sub-pages. I don't see one single page ranking for 30-50 keywords while 10 pages can do that better and more easily.
    SEO Professionals in NewDelhi It is different. Don't believe me? Go check yourself.
  21. No Profile Picture

Thank you all for your interesting and detailed replies. My apologies, I've been away writing and have only just now come back to check.

The guide will be a complete smart home setup guide It will be based one particular smart home brand device as a hub. In chapters, it will detail sure-fire good picks for lights, garage door opener, door locks, etc..

Based on the debate and discussion here, I'm going with:
    1. A central table of contents / summary page, linking to the various chapters.
    2. Multiple pages (one per chapter), linking back to the table of contents.
    3. A downloadable pdf, available in return for an email newsletter subscription.

An extra wrinkle, I want to mention in case anyone does this elsewhere: I'm not an expert, but it's my understanding that Amazon affiliate links may not be inserted into an eBook, even a PDF. So, the product links in the PDF should not be Amazon affiliate links, to avoid Amazon penalizing you. An obvious solution for this wrinkle is to create your own specifications pages for each of the products your recommend. On those pages, you may insert your Amazon affiliate link, of course. In this way, anyone clicking on a product link in the PDF goes to your on-site specifications page, from where they may proceed to Amazon to buy.

(It's an Amazon affiliate site. This is what pays the bills and makes it possible.)

Again, thanks. This discussion is very important to my decision.
  23. No Profile Picture

I would not have 10k words on a single page, but I remember reading an Ahref article that stated, that having around 18-1900 words on a landingpage was the optimal.
  25. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    I wouldn't use one page, I'd break it down into categories and have one page link to the different categories.
    And then I'd create a pdf version and give it away for free for newsletter subscribers.