Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

PRWeb - is it SEO?

I know Matt cutts said on a comment long time ago that PRweb doesn't help rankings.

Question is why? If he thinks its the equivalent of link selling they should be google-slapped by now no?

Or is there actually a technical reason why these links don't help, rather than google devalueing them?

This is what a PRWeb link looks like:

<a href="http://www.derp-seo.com" title"derp" onclick="linkClick(this.href)">money keywords</a>

Looks like its followed, but there is js in it. Is the JS technically preventing PR to flow?

Is this what you get when you purchase the advanced package for 249$, which includes "SEO enabled release"?

Looks like a scam when you look at it like that, but maybe I am wrong.
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

The JS in that link is not preventing PR to flow in any way.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I see, thanks. I just read a story on search engine land with a test from PR.com and those pr sites seem to flow anchor text and get followed.

Strange, why would matt cutts repeatedly state that press releases are useless for ranking?
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Press releases are of less and less value for other reasons, but the link mentioned above will pass PR. The only thing that will stop PR passing is a rel=nofollow attribute in the link.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by tstolber
    Press releases are of less and less value for other reasons, but the link mentioned above will pass PR. The only thing that will stop PR passing is a rel=nofollow attribute in the link.
    What are those other reasons?

Personally I have never visitied any pr site to read something, and I dont think any normal people would visit such a site, or the sites scraping them. At this point, not sure if I should keep or drop PRweb...
  11. Website and SEO tools

I think one reason being the press release is the same everywhere. Hence per algorithm you can probably quickly conclude it is a purchased service (even if high quality press release service) and automatically diminish the link value from the press releases. (That said, I would find it odd if press releases were ever punished since it has always been common for even big companies to send out press releases that get picked up many places.)
  13. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

actually matt cutts speaks with likely example, it may be one of them. you know very well, sites asking payment for links are targeted by google. They are being detected
  15. No Profile Picture

I believe links should never be paid links. It will not help. So when you pay $30 for press release they know, it is paid links. So do not spend money for backlinks. There are so many ways you can contribute by yourself and get backlinks continuously. So you can contribute to forums, you can comments on blog, you can write guest post or you can make your own blog.
  17. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by atentat
    I know Matt cutts said on a comment long time ago that PRweb doesn't help rankings.

Question is why?
    Press Releases in general don't help rankings.

The theory behind legitimate press releases are to provide facts for newsworthy events on the source domains populated by news journalists to quickly sift through miles of potential stories each day.

PRWeb is a scam based on that philosophy as it has no news journalists using it as a source because the stories are crap. PRWeb doesn't gets newsworthy items. In fact, you don't give a **** about being newsworthy either all you want are better ranks and that's the placebo theory PRWeb pushes as a hoax based on the general desire for low quality websites to gain backlinks.

If you add a story today the backlink has no value "TODAY" it needs to get crawled first... but by the time it gets crawled (if ever) it's buried by the other 10s of thousands of other crappy press releases by the same delusional public that think these are valuable cheap backlink.

They aren't.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by fathom
    Press Releases in general don't help rankings.

The theory behind legitimate press releases are to provide facts for newsworthy events on the source domains populated by news journalists to quickly sift through miles of potential stories each day.

PRWeb is a scam based on that philosophy as it has no news journalists using it as a source because the stories are crap. PRWeb doesn't gets newsworthy items. In fact, you don't give a **** about being newsworthy either all you want are better ranks and that's the placebo theory PRWeb pushes as a hoax based on the general desire for low quality websites to gain backlinks.

If you add a story today the backlink has no value "TODAY" it needs to get crawled first... but by the time it gets crawled (if ever) it's buried by the other 10s of thousands of other crappy press releases by the same delusional public that think these are valuable cheap backlink.

They aren't.

Thats what I thought too. But I wanted to find a bulled proof technical reason, so I can persuade my client better.

What journalist in their right mind would read all that crap?

Its kind of hard to sell it internally. Im having a hard time explaining how it is useless, and how the so called "news outlets" which "syndicate" the stories are nothing but spammers.

Last "News Release" was syndicated on some site about autism. lol

Most scrapers even strip the links. But marketers are scared to drop prweb. Dropping them would mean investing in real visibility.
  21. rod@missionop.com

But I wanted to find a bulled proof technical reason, so I can persuade my client better.
    The laws of diminish returns apply.

The more others add to PRWeb the less link juice you get, and today, you get nothing much worth the effort because "lack of quality control".

PRWeb quality control is "price-based" as oppose to "substance-based"... and that is the reverse of what search engines desire.

Free ranks for maximum substance!

For posting newsworthy items - go to Google News!
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by fathom
    The laws of diminish returns apply.

The more others add to PRWeb the less link juice you get, and today, you get nothing much worth the effort because "lack of quality control".

PRWeb quality control is "price-based" as oppose to "substance-based"... and that is the reverse of what search engines desire.

Free ranks for maximum substance!

For posting newsworthy items - go to Google News!
    Nothing newsworthy about what is being posted. Most posts are "We realeased version 1.5.8 of our software nobody exccept 300 people know about!".

The current process is like this:

1. Irrelevant story is being written
    2. Story is submitted to prweb.
    3. Story is submitted to own homepage
    4. Story appears in yahoo news
    5. Time to celebrate!

Problem is however, with this set up the home page story lands in supplemental result, as being a copy of the first appearance which is on prweb.

But if you have your story indexed first, then submit to prweb, yahoo news might not publish it (according to their guidelines).

They do get the job done to get you in yahoo news, but, who cares really. From 100 releases on yahoo news, not a single **** was given in the comments sections of the stories.
  25. rod@missionop.com

but, who cares really. From 100 releases on yahoo news, not a single **** was given in the comments sections of the stories.
    There's your bullet proof technical reason right there.

They do nothing!
  27. SEO Guy

End of the day: Links from PR do not help you in improving ranking what you can get is traffic.
  29. No Profile Picture

I would have to disagree with all of you. Even if the links do not have value the press release itself has value. If you google "Custom Drapery Company" PRweb got a client of mine on the first page in 2 hours with their actually press release.

Another client of mine, if you google "Las Vegas Wealth Management Firm" has multiple press releases on the first page.

This has helped my clients incredibly. Would you not want this for your own business or your clients?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page: