1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Prominence in Google serps of media articles

Hi all, I'm Dominic.

Have you noticed there are many more media articles in your google serps?

I'm certainly seeing it in the topics I am involved in.

(they are news media articles from sites that feed Google News)

I've been reading about Topic Sensitive Pagerank, Local Rank, Hilltop etc of late (including some great articles from this site), and am looking for whatever edge I can get (aren't we all).

Obviously a link to your site from a media article is valuable (moreso with the news sites that don't archive off the stories after a month), but could this be becoming more and more valuable [certainly if others are noticing greater prominence of media articles in serps]?

If you have a moment, could you please just do a few searches on a few of the primary terms you monitor (set to see 100 results at a time) and just have a scan for how many news articles rank.

I'm seeing them really kick in between about #50 to #75.

The difference is, there are: more news articles, more prominant,... in the serps. Where do they fit in your serps?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

didn't notice anything new in my searches (b-to-b) software.
  5. SEO Theorist

Hey Dominic,

I'm noticing the same exact thing. Most of these high ranking pages have virtually no links to them either.

Maybe they are considered relevent due to the fact they are from an authority site? It seems that Google may trust these media pages very much. They know that the New York Times won't be a spammer, thats for sure.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

We do a fair amount of Press Release work and have noticed that many times the press release will rank better then our clients site.

The authority site effect does come into play. Also the press release distributors have setup special relationships with the search engines that also help the rankings.
  9. No Profile Picture

Does anyone know how g handles duplicate news content (same story bought from reuters / run by several papers) or coppied by someone like me.. in a blog or on a site? From what I have heard there is no penalty to the site if it is a news article, just left out of the serps if the page has lower PR...?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think this pages have lots of content and especially *fresh* content.
    This might be the main reason of the high ranks in SERPs they have.
  13. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Dominic - I can't find ANY news articles < #100 for my main search term. But that might be explained by the non-commercial nature of the topic. I think G just isn't interested in small fry subjects, but is eager to somewhat enhance the "big" searches. They might have tweaked their algo just a bit to include more news, as an attempt to enhance the quality, and perhaps incorporate a couple of regularly updated sites. News is expected to be "new", I suppose.

FYI: my favorite search coughs up a couple of relevant (directly targeted) sites, along with gazillions of dmoz clones. Although I can't complain, because they will all point to me in a way, this is no inspiring stuff...

Maybe you could set up a poll on this board. It's not difficult, just think of what you'd like to know and how/why people are going to vote. That way, you might even see a trend (provided you choose the right list of options to vote for...) Mind you: spice it up a bit... a poll can be informative, but some people need to be triggered to push the button
  15. SEO chat regular

This is not an apparent problem on .com ... however on pages in the uk search for our kw's shows many news articles.

Cheers,

Broker Boy
  17. No Profile Picture

The fact that they are turning up in my serps (and if they are turning up in yours) - means there is a moral to this story. There is a page which is completely about your topic - with usually a maximum of one OBLs on it to the relevant site - that ranks locally and well.
    Anyone who is seeing these articles in their serps should consider two options:
    a press release on a site that is spidered by google news (doesn't need to convert to offline publication, if they produce the press release online it counts the same)[in seo]... or
    a press release that ultimately converts to an article (giving you the broarder exposure also.

This will boost our site/s in the serps if we include a link to our page.

Something to watch for - many news papers archieve off old stories (don't know what old is), so you get 'story no longer available' sometimes after only one month. So the trick is:
    1. Not only to submit the release to a site which is spidered by g-news.
    2. But also to one that does not delete the article but keeps it online.

PS - ther are some good articles on 'how to write a press release' if you haven't done one before. All you need is an angel or 'hook.'

I've done a ton over the years but am inspired to make sure every story I do from now on fits this strategy.

Maybe you could set up a poll on this board. It's not difficult, just think of what you'd like to know and how/why people are going to vote. That way, you might even see a trend (provided you choose the right list of options to vote for...) Mind you: spice it up a bit... a poll can be informative, but some people need to be triggered to push the button
    I'll only look at something like a poll once I am an established member of the forum (if I end up posting much / so far I'm just enjoying the read)...
    Last edited by Dominic; Sep 20th, 2004 at 08:40 AM.
  19. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by Dominic

PS - ther are some good articles on 'how to write a press release' if you haven't done one before. All you need is an angel or 'hook.'
    Great first posts Dominic..Press Releases and Article Submissions are a great way to gain one way links and therefore increase your position in the SERPs.

Here is a great thread if you are looking to submit articles:
    http://forums.seochat.com/t11913/s.html
    Here is a great one if you are looking to submit Press Releases:
    http://forums.seochat.com/t12667/s.html
    And there is a Press Release Tool if you are unsure of the format it should be in here:
    http://wm-community.com/forum/post-452.html#452 thats off of jfontestad' s site

Great Start at SEOChat dominic (as long as you arent really openpress setting us up for you to place your link )
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Jasontnyc
    Great Start at SEOChat dominic (as long as you arent really openpress setting us up for you to place your link )
    Ha Ha! No I'm a Social Worker, working with homeless people! Go figure!

Thanks for those threads and the warm welcome.