1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Products pages that are not available anymore

Hello Everyone

I have a lot of product pages that are not available anymore. The pages are orphaned pages, they are not linked in our website anymore although the URLs still available in our domain. Google still indexing these pages provably by links from affiliates programs and users.

What is it the best thing that I can do with these pages from a SEO point of view?

Comments on this post

• ajaydigi09 agrees : I too face this thread
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

301 redirect them to an appropriate top level page or specific category page.
    If there are similar or relevant new products have the pages redirect to them.
    If the amount is small enough do this manually to the most relevant page.
    If the amount is too large to do manually, try and create some category ot topic specific logic that doesn't just redirect to your home page.
    If you can't do that - blanket redirect to your home page.
    If you can't do that - have a template text that links to your home page or appropriate category or topic.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by tstolber
    301 redirect them to an appropriate top level page or specific category page.
    If there are similar or relevant new products have the pages redirect to them.
    If the amount is small enough do this manually to the most relevant page.
    If the amount is too large to do manually, try and create some category ot topic specific logic that doesn't just redirect to your home page.
    If you can't do that - blanket redirect to your home page.
    If you can't do that - have a template text that links to your home page or appropriate category or topic.
    Although technically a valid answer I totally disagree with it in every way for reasons outlined here: Manage inactive pages for better optimization

And on that note as you (universo) were part of that discussion why are you asking this question?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

And on that note as you (universo) were part of that discussion why are you asking this question?
    Hi Doodle, because in my case the products are apartments for rent. The company is not doing very well and we are losing a lot of apartments everyday. We remove the apartments for the landing page, for instance Barcelona but the URl of the apartments still on-line

We don't want to remove them yet because we are hoping to get better and get them back but we are not sure what it is going to happen. So I am thinking what can I do with these thouthands of orphan pages. We have our web in 20 languages so this multiplies the error 20 time per apartment lost
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

... so as per the previous thread - 'This apartment is no longer available but these ones may interest you' and display some current ones which share similar characteristics (size, location, price, etc). When you get them back you can reactivate them.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees : Yes
  11. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I agree with Tim, don't give the reason to your customers for discarding from your website in future
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.