1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Problem with my site?

My site was doing well for a while. It ranked high with the keywords I targeted for my local area. Then I noticed a drop in responses from google (I still do all right with yahoo and MSN) and a drop in PR from 3-->1. I changed the content on my home page and after google crawled my page again (about 3weeks ago) I started to do well again on google so I thought I was on the right track. Now my home page is not cached when you check it from the google toolbar. A site search using site:wrsphotogarphy.com shows my index page but the cache file is still my old homepage.

Please help. I have some time to get my site back in googles good graces as my main buisness in family beach portraits in the summer time, so I really do not do many family portraits between december and April.

anyway my site is wrsphotography.com

Thanks in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture

Sandboxing By Google

For some reason google.com is sandboxing sites fora few days at a time. Im not sure why. They did that to our site for a few days and then we are back on but even higher. It maybe due to links. Have you been adding links to your site lately?

We added a whole bunch of new links to our site and google sandboxed us for a few days. But once we were back up we are even better than we ever were.
  5. No Profile Picture

Homepage is blocked from google.com

Originally Posted by billsol
    My site was doing well for a while. It ranked high with the keywords I targeted for my local area. Then I noticed a drop in responses from google (I still do all right with yahoo and MSN) and a drop in PR from 3-->1. I changed the content on my home page and after google crawled my page again (about 3weeks ago) I started to do well again on google so I thought I was on the right track. Now my home page is not cached when you check it from the google toolbar. A site search using site:wrsphotogarphy.com shows my index page but the cache file is still my old homepage.

Please help. I have some time to get my site back in googles good graces as my main buisness in family beach portraits in the summer time, so I really do not do many family portraits between december and April.

Thanks in advance.
    I see that your homepage is blocked from google. Wait a few days... Add some links on craigslist and on digg.com why will fix it in a week. Also try and resubmit that page to google.com
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Make all your changes that you plan on making, when you are done, resubmit a fresh sitemap to google, and continue checking the status in the webmaster tools section. It has some pretty useful info, as to what is actually indexed, against what was submitted. I've noticed a lot lately that people are dropping off Google for keywords they used to dominate for 3 and 4 days, but when they reappear they are higher than when they dropped. Obviously something has been going on with the big G lately, but no one seems to really know a for sure answer.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by RigSEM
    For some reason google.com is sandboxing sites fora few days at a time. Im not sure why. They did that to our site for a few days and then we are back on but even higher. It maybe due to links. Have you been adding links to your site lately?

We added a whole bunch of new links to our site and google sandboxed us for a few days. But once we were back up we are even better than we ever were.
    Google sand box is not exist right now.
    Google hold new sites for few days,until they are proving their eligibility to rank for the targeted keywords and people thought that is sand box effects.

Adding new links to the site cannot be a reason of sand boxing.

Originally Posted by RigSEM
    I see that your homepage is blocked from google. Wait a few days... Add some links on craigslist and on digg.com why will fix it in a week. Also try and resubmit that page to google.com
    What do you mean by Blocked by Google????

FYI, even a brand new site is also don't need to submit in Google. Inbound links from relevant sites will do the job for you.

Thanks in advance.
    You said that you are getting less responses from google. Is it mean that you are getting less traffic from Google or your rank in google goes down?
    Your home page has url canonicalization problem.Try to solve that.
    Try to get some back links, hope your problem will be solved.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Do you really think your site should get good rankings in Google ?

Your site looks good in the first instance but I was surprised to see the age old Blackish ( i won't call it full black) SEO technique that you have used. You have put up a lot of optimized text on the home page way below the gerenal user's visibility ( below the footer menu as well ! ). I didn't call it full black because the font color is black and one can read it if he crawls down. But that content is not really "presented" to the human visitors but to the SE Bots- so i said blackish.

I would not be surprised if Google bot has become smart enough to identify such below the fold keyword text preceeded by a long blank area ( created by innumerable <br> tags) as possible spam and has added a filter on that.

a) site:http://www.wrsphotography.com/ - this gave me 160 results which shows that the site is not banned
    b) yahoo shows a count of 49 links, which is not bad but then there is a point of concern here.

Some of the links have URLs ( www.mypartyplanner.com/reciprocal/Photography.html ) that clearly identifies itself as Reciprocal link. Google nullifies these links so you would not get any favor from google for these

Not sure if you have tried to buy any links, in case you have , that might be another reason for your sites issue.

the best guess at this point is that Google was initially tricked by that spammy content on your page for which you were getting the ranking. Now they might have identified it and put a filter on it - as a result google bot now views your page as jus that one line of text on top with the image and then the big links to other pages - the lower text is totally ignored -- so no content on page = no rankings. the links issue might have also added to this.

i know my comments might be sounding a bit too harsh but just gave you the clear picture so that you can correct it and do good

best of luck!
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by rishi321us
    Do you really think your site should get good rankings in Google ?

Your site looks good in the first instance but I was surprised to see the age old Blackish ( i won't call it full black) SEO technique that you have used. You have put up a lot of optimized text on the home page way below the gerenal user's visibility ( below the footer menu as well ! ). I didn't call it full black because the font color is black and one can read it if he crawls down. But that content is not really "presented" to the human visitors but to the SE Bots- so i said blackish.

I would not be surprised if Google bot has become smart enough to identify such below the fold keyword text preceeded by a long blank area ( created by innumerable <br> tags) as possible spam and has added a filter on that.

a) site:wrsphotography- this gave me 160 results which shows that the site is not banned
    b) yahoo shows a count of 49 links, which is not bad but then there is a point of concern here.

Some of the links have URLs (mypartyplanner) that clearly identifies itself as Reciprocal link. Google nullifies these links so you would not get any favor from google for these

Not sure if you have tried to buy any links, in case you have , that might be another reason for your sites issue.

the best guess at this point is that Google was initially tricked by that spammy content on your page for which you were getting the ranking. Now they might have identified it and put a filter on it - as a result google bot now views your page as jus that one line of text on top with the image and then the big links to other pages - the lower text is totally ignored -- so no content on page = no rankings. the links issue might have also added to this.

i know my comments might be sounding a bit too harsh but just gave you the clear picture so that you can correct it and do good

best of luck!
    So is it best to remove the <br> tags and rewrite the text. Can it still be below my footer or should I move it up? My taget audience is Mom's who want family portraits of the preschoolers so I wanted my site to look clean but have text that google could see. So I guess I should change the text around as most people clicking on my site probably will not read it anyway as they just want to see click on the galleries and see example photos anyway. I will give it a try. As far as my links are concerned should I remove my name from reciporical sites or just leave it alone and try to build new links? Any tips there?

Thanks for your help.

Bill
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

obviously, your just being impatient with the results on your site...Google these days is frequently updating the SERPs and your site is lucky to be deindexed in it. Don't be alarmed about it because eventually, it will come back to its rankings or even moved up.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

So is it best to remove the <br> tags and rewrite the text. Can it still be below my footer or should I move it up? My taget audience is Mom's who want family portraits of the preschoolers so I wanted my site to look clean but have text that google could see. So I guess I should change the text around as most people clicking on my site probably will not read it anyway as they just want to see click on the galleries and see example photos anyway. I will give it a try. As far as my links are concerned should I remove my name from reciporical sites or just leave it alone and try to build new links? Any tips there?

Thanks for your help.

Bill
    I am always up to helping a fellow forum poster. I took a look at your site in more detail this morning and I have to agree with rishi321us, it does look a tad spammy, and might be sending up flags to the big G.

Your first step is first improving your on-site SEO and then start listing yourself in free web directories using titles as your keyword anchor text.

Where you have the image dead center on your homepage, re-write your under footer text and place the finished version on either side of it in a 3 column format. Text, image, text. You are probably right about people clicking through to your gallery anyway, but you have to avoid under footer. After you have optimized your text, choose your page titles according to your keyword choices, or target audience. Then submit to a list of directories using those keywords as titles.

Remember, you don't want to have to endlessly submit to directories and blogs yourself, you want others to link to you as well, so content is King and that is how others will find you. They will like what you do, and link to your site without you lifting a finger.

Submit your best work to image sites, with proper keyword tags, and that link back to your site as well and you will see yourself re-appear in results pretty fast.
  19. No Profile Picture

I just went to webmaster tools on google and is says my site has errors. It says my sitemap and robots.txt file are unreachable but they are there and have not changed. I told it to look for them again and about an hour later it said the same message. I think this must be my problem but I don't know how to solve it. Should i make a new site map. I used gsite crawler to generate the site map is there a better way or a problem with gsite crawler sitemaps?

Thanks in advance.

Bill
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I just went to webmaster tools on google and is says my site has errors. It says my sitemap and robots.txt file are unreachable but they are there and have not changed. I told it to look for them again and about an hour later it said the same message. I think this must be my problem but I don't know how to solve it. Should i make a new site map. I used gsite crawler to generate the site map is there a better way or a problem with gsite crawler sitemaps?

Thanks in advance.

Bill
    I personally use www(dot)freesitemapgenerator(dot)com. It is totally free, but it does take a while to generate, however if you have php working on your web host, it also has an auto upload and ping to the big G.

I looked at your robots file and there isn't anything wrong with it. In the meantime I will look at your sitemap and see if I can see anything that jumps out.

Edit: I can't find your sitemap.xml either, did you name it something else? Or do you only have the .html version?
    Last edited by Ejudicator; Dec 14th, 2007 at 01:04 PM.
  23. No Profile Picture

Sorry about that I removed it and uploaded a sitemaps.xml.gz to see if that would work but it did not. I just switched it back so you should be able to check it now. I will try freesitemapgenorator and see if that works for me.

thanks

Bill
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sorry about that I removed it and uploaded a sitemaps.xml.gz to see if that would work but it did not. I just switched it back so you should be able to check it now. I will try freesitemapgenorator and see if that works for me.

thanks

Bill
    Still not seeing it...
  27. No Profile Picture

This is frustating. How about now? Sorry.

Bill
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This is frustating. How about now? Sorry.

Bill
    Got it, don't really see anything wrong with it except maybe there are images that are a part of the sitemap. Do you do image dumps? If not, re-run your sitemap with the tool I pointed you to, and use that version instead. It will also tell you if there any errors. One other thing I noticed is you have old pages indexed in your sitemap...index1.html for example, try to avoid this as your own site will cause duplicate content issues.