1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Problem With my .net Domain

Hello,

I am building an optimized new website, but im not sure which domain to host it on.

I have a very good .net domain to use (registered in 2006). However, it has very recently been blacklisted by Google. I left the previous owners content on there because i thought it was better than nothing (looks like i was wrong!).

I know best practice is to upload the new site, and then make a reconsideration request to Google. However, I am concerned they would place it in the sandbox as a new site, or impose a long term penalty.

The .com is listed on Sedo for $1800, and has been registered with no content since 2002. I am reluctant to spend this much, but im wondering if the .com and domain age would have a strong impact on my SERPS?

Also I have found a similar unregistered .com to buy. Again though, my concern is getting sandboxed with a brand new domain. Also my competition would have a domain age advantage in the rankings.

Please advise if I should stick with the .net, buy the .com or register a new and different .com?

Many Thanks

Tosin
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

The blacklisted site should be reconsidered after the registration details change. If not, then file the request after you change it.

The sandbox no longer exists. Actually new sites now seem to notice a short term "boost" in ranks when they're first indexed.

Domain age has no bearing on a site's rank. It is the age of the backlinks to a domain that are a factor. If the 1800 domain has no links, it's rather pointless (unless it's a really, really good domain name).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by jsteele823
    The blacklisted site should be reconsidered after the registration details change. If not, then file the request after you change it.

The sandbox no longer exists. Actually new sites now seem to notice a short term "boost" in ranks when they're first indexed.

Domain age has no bearing on a site's rank. It is the age of the backlinks to a domain that are a factor. If the 1800 domain has no links, it's rather pointless (unless it's a really, really good domain name).
    @jsteele

I'm in the UK jsteele and I built two sites for a very good friend with kids, its not a competitive Field at all.

Both sites had the same kids one a .net on a .co.uk

1, The first was built 9 months ago and was a .net I added 5 directory links from that Field and got index within 3 weeks and the site had 6 pages with not good content it went in at at number 7 stayed there for nearly a month then went to page 7 then made it way back up to page 1 one and has been there ever since for the term in the domain.....

2, The second was the same as the above but is 3 months old but much much better content and much better design, nav structure with a html site map, I got the domain from sedo (the sedo domain was already indexed on big g on one of there holding pages with the normal out going links)

It was .co.uk there not linked together different hosting and different whois etc, this site also had 5 different directory links from that Field it went in at page 7 and stayed there ever since for the same term in the domain.

I not got the time to do any SEO for free and i dont do that for anyone anyway as thats not what i do it a hobby, I think these sedo holding pages might looked at a bit more by big G ?

I know this is a huge guess but thought id share what happened..........
  7. Contributing User

So the .co.uk, which was the sedo domain, ranks on page 7?

I don't think I fully understand what you're trying to say.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

The only reason to pay $1,800 for a domain name is branding/marketing. IF you are in the US people will tend to assume sites are .com and often assume they are your-company-name .com
    So if you have a recognizable name or PLAN TO and your market is the US it might make sense to invest in the name just like you should pay a lawyer to register a trademark on your companies logo etc.
    If you are not sure the business will make money (ie. you are not established with an established brand reputation) you might change the name and find something suitably brand-able that is NOT $1,800.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

So the .co.uk, which was the sedo domain, ranks on page 7?
    I don't think I fully understand what you're trying to say.
    The sedo .co.uk domain is on page 7

the .net which was just regisered is on page 1

more trust was given to the .net even thought the site is no where near as good as the .co.uk

Sorry What I mean is the domain that was a .net that was a new registration worked well for the kids in the domain.

The domain purchased from sedo (which had a sedo landing page with out going links on that page and was index on google, no site was even built on this domain no other history apart from the sedo page) was a much better site better content and a .co.uk ended up on page 7.

Both sites had the same kids......

Big G did not treat the second site like the first, I know all it properly needs is a few good links, but feel more trust was placed on the first domain and not the sedo one.

Just a point about what happened with a sedo I bought. Hope im making more sence now, my writing skills are not the best.
    Last edited by Jim1; Nov 18th, 2009 at 04:00 PM.
  13. Contributing User

If the links were gained at the same time, and the registration was created at the same time, then you might have a better case.

One instance of two sites that have only 5 directory links each wouldn't really be a valid experiment, but I do appreciate you sharing the experience.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If the links were gained at the same time, and the registration was created at the same time, then you might have a better case.

One instance of two sites that have only 5 directory links each wouldn't really be a valid experiment, but I do appreciate you sharing the experience.
    Hi jsteele,

I know its just one thing that happened to me, and like a lot of other things who knows but the more thinks shared the better hay
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks Guys,

I really appreciate all the advice.

My original .net domain does have some very old backlinks to it.

In conclusion, should i stick with the .net, and register a new domain if it remains blacklisted?