1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Press Releases & Rankings

Hi all,
    I haven't been able to find a real clear answer out there. Do press releases negatively impact SEO? So far the ones my company has released seem to be on sites that absolutely nobody reads. I guess my concerns would be unnatural linking. These are press releases for an E-Commerce site, and the release is just to announce a new product.
    -Thanks
  3. Extremely Googled
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I don't think there's a lot of negativity that could be done. If ALL your links are press releases, I might be concerned. But press releases are generally only worthwhile when they're picked up by a legitimate news outlet (with authority, as seen by Google), and not by the fly-by-night post-anything press release sites out there. Been that way for a long time.
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

No..a press release won't negatively impact your SEO. Whats unnatural about it?
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    No..a press release won't negatively impact your SEO. Whats unnatural about it?
    My concern was becuase most of these PR sites look pretty spammy. Looking at what our company has done before they seemed like small exposure linkbaiting tactics.
  9. Agency SEO

If you place a press release on your site then submit it to every spammy garbage PR outlet you can, in my experience it can do harm.
  11. SEO Since 97

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    If you place a press release on your site then submit it to every spammy garbage PR outlet you can, in my experience it can do harm.
    Is that the press release or the spamming that'll do it?
  13. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

More so the duplicate content I'd imagine... Having spam out there, plus copying the spam on your site might show Google your intent.

I would suspect if said content was hosted outside of the website, in KP's example, then perhaps there wouldn't be a big hurt/harm done.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.