1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Prediction for 2004

More spam sites. People won't be afraid of getting banned by big G no more as there's simply no way to get on top by being a good boy.

I predict that SEO community will turn into a spammers club where people share different techniques for spamming. Of course some of the forums will become member-access only to prevent eavesdropping by google spys.

Getting banned is no big deal. It's cheap and easy to set up a new site.

More spamming software/scripts will be available for purchase in 2004 because there's market out there.

JV
  3. Contributing User

Your right......We do it the right way and sites like this kill you with all the tricks like hidden text and door way pages (like this site)

http://www.r-u-seen.com/kissimmee-va...-rentals.shtml

I even brought this to Googles attention a few months ago...the site is still there and doing great......they don't care all they care about is filtering keywords and delivering awful SERPS.

Happy New Year
    Richard
  5. web designer
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

i would 'like' to predict less sour grapes posts on this forum.
    [as in the above posts]

people bitching and moaning about google
    and spammers
    and how their site got kick way off the serps.

the last couple months of this forum has been mostly unproductive static like this. i have personally spent less time here because there are less good discussions and less diversity. its all been about complaining.
    [yes...not everyone is a complainer....and yes...there has been some helpful and production discussions...but theres a lot of 'fat' that could be trimmed of of this cow.]
    people need to settle down and get back to the basics.

happy new year!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Basics? What are the basics? There are NO basics any more.

I'm not complaining at all. Just thought if the trend I predicted means anything to you then we should start doing something positive, including exploring something we all despised before, e.g., cloaking, hidden text, etc, rename those techniques, invent and share new tricks, change when google changes....etc. just a throught.

Let's face it. There's simply no way to stay atop forever. If you don't spam you lose your position sooner or later. If you do you have a chance to get back to the top.

I'm not a coder. But I'm pretty sure there'll be lots of scripts coming out 2004.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I have to tend to agree spam sites rule now and I hope 2004 brings Yahoo/Inktomi results along with new MSN results.

I do my best to follow "the Rules" and get booted from results while spammers reign supreme...Fair? I think not UNEXCEPTABLE comes to mind.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

My prediction is that Yahoo and MSN will gain ground from Google. That is my prediction for 2004. :-)
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I am working on a test that uses um...let's say...gray-hat techniques. I personally don't believe it is really spam or black-hat, but others might disagree. In any case, here's what I'm doing and why.

First of all, I've created a completely new site that is very similar to my main money-making site. My main money-making site took a huge hit in the Florida update (although it has since returned, which is great). In any case, I decided to create a separate site that would do things differently from the first - sort of like insurance against future Google algo changes. If google decides it doesn't like something from Site A, then maybe it will like Site B instead. I won't care which one shows up high in the SERPs as long as one of them does.

Site B is NOT a duplicate of Site A. It essentially has all the same information - but that information is presented differently and worded differently.

So, what is the gray-hat technique I am using on Site B, you ask? Well, one of the theories that some threw out about the Florida update, was that Google was punishing sites with affiliate links. I'm not sure I agree with that, however, Site B is assuming that Google MAY punish sites with affiliate links in the future.

So, I decided that I didn't want Google to know that I had affiliate links on my site. Here's how I've gone about accomplishing that.

1. Each affiliate link goes to a page in a subfolder of Site B. In other words... mysubfolder/mypage.html

2. The subfolder is listed in the robots.txt file as being disallowed by all spiders.

3. The page that the link goes to has the following attributes...

A) It has a meta tag of META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW"

B) It has a script tag to reference an EXTERNAL javascript such as... script language="JavaScript" src="myscript.js"

C) The EXTERNAL javascript (which is also located in the disallowed subfolder) contains a redirect script to the affiliate site, such as... location.replace("http://www.theaffiliatesite.com/blahblah.html")

D) The page has a short paragraph in the body that includes a regular affiliate link just in case someone has javascript turned off and they dont get redirected.

Theoretically, then, although Google doesn't like redirects, it *should* never even know about the redirect because it shouldn't be indexing any of the code that is within this subfolder.

So...feel free to flame me if you want, but actually I would prefer to have some constructive thoughts on this gray-hat technique I have used.
  15. Contributing User

Sorry I just had to get it out of system before 2003 ended....Looking forward to better SERPS in 2004

Richard
    Happy New Year Out There
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

All I know is I had a 20 page content site with no links to any affiliate programs OR any redirects or anything. Straight HTML links. Pr 6, and still got wasted by florida. I'm bouncing between 100-150 now.

I did have many outbound links from links pages. My site also had keyphrase in title, h1, and throughout body.

The reason for less real discussion is because no one knows what to do anymore.

Relaxzoolander - feel free to start a discussion on something that is concrete. Unfortunately, nothing is matching, every serp is different, every theory can be proven wrong unless it is rediculously complex etc.

It is hard to talk about gaining better serp when you can't rank in the top 1000. Now if all of us were top 30, it would be easy to analyze the top results and see what we needed to do.

I just don't see any correlations anywhere.

My plan? I plan on going full force with everything I've got for a top keyword. Emphasis on keyword. Plan on copying everything the top sites are doing. Not content, but method.

The other thing is I haven't seen one account of someone getting a site to a top 10 with a brand new post-florida site, which is bad since we have no new data coming in.

Right now my new site is ranking for some very specific phrases...not in top 1k for main phrase. We'll see I guess. I find it hard to believe my site is not top 1k relevant for the term already.

Seems like Google is delaying things to me.
  19. Contributing User

Yeah, more spamming and then Google will be knocked of top spot because of all the spam!