Thread: PPC Skulduggery

1. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

PPC Skulduggery

OK this is new to me but I am not a PPC user, looks like I am going to be forced to play this game now.

On a routine check today I discovered something which in my eyes is underhanded. I bet you guys will say this is normal but its not something I personally had seen.
    The one check I do from time to time is google the brand name of the company which is unique, just to confirm everything is as it should be.
    Low and behold a competitor has placed a advert for our brand name so they appear above the organic listing.

Of course the company is #1 for the brand name but now with the advert there it appears to be 2nd to joe blogs.

This is one of the things I hate about adwords,

Anyone who runs campaigns is this something you do regularly ? i.e. target your competitors
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I do it every day in nearly every campaign I manage. I'll bid your brand and your company name. I'll find your UVP and do it better. I'll find your incentive and offer more. I'll use a url like domain.com/better-quality-than-xxcompetiton/.

Now, if they are using a registered trademark in their ad you can make them stop, that's misleading. Otherwise I am out to steal every one of your customers, try and stop me

Second place is just the first loser
  5. Dinosaur

You are never to old to learn eh.
    I wish I could say they have used the brand name in their advert but unfortunately not, its just their regular advert but targeting the company name.as a keyword I would assume.

So now I am going to be forced to setup a campaign and out bid them just to stay on top, the only winner here is google in the long run.
  7. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by Chedders
    You are never to old to learn eh.
    I wish I could say they have used the brand name in their advert but unfortunately not, its just their regular advert but targeting the company name.as a keyword I would assume.

So now I am going to be forced to setup a campaign and out bid them just to stay on top...
    The good news is branded clicks are often very cheap when you own the brand.

Tip: Make sure you start building your remarketing lists, here's why: Anytime I am running a branded campaign and someone comes in on top of me I will use my remarketing list to bid up 40% when the same visitor searches using my key phrases more than once.
    So here’s the scenario: Joe Consumer goes to Google and searches Acme Widgets, you might get the click but now I have identified him as being in the buying funnel. If he is still researching and searches again inside 30 days I will automatically upbid as much as 40% to get the top spot because I know he is closer to making his decision.
    If you’re doing the same as me you’ll still be #1
    Make sense?
    Last edited by KernelPanic; May 5th, 2017 at 02:05 PM.
  9. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by Chedders
    ...the only winner here is google in the long run.
    um, no. I win also because someone has to pay me to build and maintain the campaigns. The loser is the consumer who will need to pay the additional advertising costs

Comments on this post

• Chedders agrees : LOL
  11. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Did google now disallow bidding for brand names?
    If a brand name is registered or trade marked I think google does not allow others to bid for that word. Or is it specific to some countries only?
  13. Dinosaur

Most companies in the UK are registered with company house but not as a trade mark. Its the company name they are targeting. 1 more competitor has now joined in the fun since I posted this pushing the listing down further.
    I dont believe just registering with company house is enough to protect against this.
  15. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Google says when the TradeMark owner submits a complaint Google places certain restriction on the use of those trademarks words. I think that should save you some money in the long run trying to rank for your own company name because some of the competitors are acting smart.
    https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2562124
    SEO Professionals in NewDelhi It is different. Don't believe me? Go check yourself.
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Yeah, it's something we do all the time.

Some clients have a "gentlemen's agreement" that means they don't bid on each others brand name but it's pretty rare.

You could try contacting them directly saying you plan to set up a campaign of your own, they might not care but they'll probably be aware it'll cost them more too.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo