1. No Profile Picture
    KSA
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Point Domains to Interior Pages or Create New Websites?

Hi,

I'm working with a real estate agent who works in a number of different neighborhoods. Trying to decide whether to:

1. Build a main site for the area that will contain information in addition to the neighborhoods. Create pages for the neighborhoods and point a neighborhood domain name to each neighborhood landing page within the site. The separate domain names are needed for marketing purposes.

2. Build a main site, then separate "satellite" sites. These sites would use the neighborhood domain names and have about 3-5 pages of original content. We'd link from the main site to these satellites for visitors who land on the main site first.

QUESTIONS:

From an SEO standpoint, would pointing domain names to interior pages as in option 1 hurt the overall site? If a search was done for the neighborhood, would Google show the main site's URL for the neighborhood page or the actual neighborhood domain? What would be the chances for any URL of the site to rank for the neighborhood terms?

If I go with Option 2, will the satellites be able to build enough authority to get ranked?

Is there a better option than either 1 or 2?

I would really appreciate any insight anyone can provide.

Thanks,
    Kathleen
    Last edited by KSA; Jan 10th, 2013 at 02:01 PM.
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Option 1.

Funnel in all of your users and page authority into one domain. If we're talking different countries, I would suggest otherwise. However, if we're talking about neighborhoods then I would consolidate into one powerful website.

Going on option one, if you're building interior pages, you should build links to interior pages as well. With option 1, when you say point domains, do you mean domains you bought with the neighborhood name? If so, it's useless. You're wasting time and money.

Regarding option 2, it's going to be more time/money/effort. A good website, with good navigation will show the trickle effect. The domain authority, trust and power trickle down to the subpages. If you have 2 domains, or more, you would lose this great benefit of having a properly structured website.

Go with option one, don't worry about any domains you just paid for for SEO with no history and make a killer website. I would structure it wise and smart for the users and SE. For example:

Mainsite 1: Town's name Neighborhood Properties> Navigation Maybe:

Silky Woods Neighborhoods - SEO Drive Neighborhoods - Social Media Landings Neighborhoods , etc.

When you build links, build them to your interior pages as well as your main page - not these other domains.

IMHO, this will offer the best results with the least amount of time and effort, and thus, money.

Edit: With option 1 and you're pointing domains, be careful - if you're pointing more than 20, I would consider hosting them on various hosting accounts with different IP's.

Comments on this post

• tstolber agrees : Great Answer
    • Test-ok agrees
    Last edited by joshz; Jan 10th, 2013 at 02:09 PM.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  5. No Profile Picture
    KSA

Josh,

Thanks for the good info. I think one site would be best, too.

But, let's say that XYZ Neighborhood is in Anytown, Ohio. For marketing purposes, the agent wants to be able to put an ad somewhere and the call to action would be: Visit XYZNeighborhood.com to enter, for example.

So, that domain would point (301 redirect) to the XYZ Neighborhood landing page on the main site. It would make the ad look more targeted, and the visitor wouldn't land on the main Anytown home page, then have to poke around to find the XYZ Neighborhood info.

So, it's not an SEO thing for the domain names. I think there'd probably be maybe 5-10 neighborhoods on the main site.

Do you think the engines will get mad about having that many domain names pointed to various internal pages?

And, would the site have the same chance to rank for the search term XYZ Neighborhood homes as if it didn't have a separate domain name pointed at it?

Hope I'm explaining this OK....

The agent's former SEO guy set up lots of separate Wordpress sites for all her neighborhoods. I kinda think it's possible he just wanted the work.
    Last edited by KSA; Jan 10th, 2013 at 05:34 PM.
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

The agent's former SEO guy set up lots of separate Wordpress sites for all her neighborhoods.
    Yea...job security.

I see no reason to create an ad on a different url and then use a link that's going to redirect to a different page. why not just make the ad and direct it to the page you want it to end up on? If I understand you right.
  9. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by KSA
    Josh,

Thanks for the good info. I think one site would be best, too.

But, let's say that XYZ Neighborhood is in Anytown, Ohio. For marketing purposes, the agent wants to be able to put an ad somewhere and the call to action would be: Visit XYZNeighborhood.com to enter, for example.

So, that domain would point (301 redirect) to the XYZ Neighborhood landing page on the main site. It would make the ad look more targeted, and the visitor wouldn't land on the main Anytown home page, then have to poke around to find the XYZ Neighborhood info.

So, it's not an SEO thing for the domain names. I think there'd probably be maybe 5-10 neighborhoods on the main site.

Do you think the engines will get mad about having that many domain names pointed to various internal pages?
    If that's the case, then there will be no harm. As long as that domain redirects and does not house duplicate content found on your main page, I don't see a problem with this.

And, would the site have the same chance to rank for the search term XYZ Neighborhood homes as if it didn't have a separate domain name pointed at it?

Hope I'm explaining this OK....

The agent's former SEO guy set up lots of separate Wordpress sites for all her neighborhoods. I kinda think it's possible he just wanted the work.
    No, the domain will have no chance of ranking (your domains being redirected). The only way to rank them is to host content on the site; however, hosting content on that site will create duplicate content and thus, a poor choice. When you say the 'site' which one? Your main one? Sure, as long as you build it properly and build links you have great chances of ranking. The redirected domain would never rank.

I have a former mechanic that upsells me on upgrading my windshield wipers every time I get my oil changed. It's a crap economy and people are desperate for work - needed or unneeded. Without seeing the actual sites (WP) and seeing the methods used, it's hard to say if the SEO's methods are effective or not.
    Last edited by joshz; Jan 11th, 2013 at 07:41 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    KSA

Thanks for the reply, Test. Job security was my thought, too. I think the thing about the different domain names is the agent thinks AnytownOHRealEstate.com/XYZNeighborhoodHomes is just a bit more than people want to contend with!

Josh - If the search engines will tolerate it, then putting everything on one site will be the easiest solution. The satellite domains would 301 to the internal page, so there'd be no dup content issue. And, you're right. I'm wanting AnytownOHRealEstate.com/XYZNeighborhoodHomes to get ranked, not the redirected domain name.

Bet you had the best windshield wipers in town!

Finally, I'm not too worried about the SEO methods the other guy used. The satellite sites aren't ranking at all as it is!!

Thanks again - you're most kind to help me out.