1. No Profile Picture
    cdx
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Planning a new strategy...

Hi all...

I am going to start publishing my site very soon and I did some homework about it before. My site is going to compete with ALOT of website in same business, and I think it's going to be a very hard competition, and I don't know if I have the chances even to get into the top 30-40 in google.

My website is in the Renting apartments for turists in Paris.
    1000's of website already fighting on the places there and I didn't even join that fight.

I wanted to ask here if anyone already found himself in the same position. What can I do in order to be ranked well no matter what?

I am renting STUDIO apartments, do I need to focus on 'studio' as my main keywork in order to minimize my competition?

What method do I need to use in order to build an effective strategy not just to be ranked high in google, but also to generate sales...

I am curious to hear what people here has to say about that,

Thanks in advance for any help....

Guy.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well I'm no expert, but here's my opinion.

1)Ask yourself, "Self, what makes me different from the 1000's of other people doing what I am doing?. Who exactly am I targeting? Italian tourists? German? American? Rich tourists? Backpackers, etc?"

2) Use a good keyword research tool (Overture has a good one) and research what people who are looking for exactly what you are selling are searching for.

3) Do not optimize for single words like studio. Use 2 or 3 word phrases based on the research you do.

4) Keep asking questions on great forums such as this one. There are many pros here who will help you.

5) Consider an Google adwords or Overture campaign.

6) Stay away from spammy or black hat techniques. Optimize, submit, be patient.
  5. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

In addition to markiemark70's very useful guidelines: be sure to include the thing that sets YOU apart from the rest in your keyword set. And check with friends etc. if that would be a word they'd use on a search engine. Remember, the phrase Paris studio alone gives you about 3M results in Google...

Furthermore you might want to consider making pages in various languages, which would be picked up sooner by the respective national Google versions.

For example, I rank #23 for a single word (actually a number) on google.com, but #1 on google.nl... So if you target the Portugese, make pages that rank well on google.pt!
    Last edited by Wit; Sep 11th, 2004 at 01:06 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Almost forgot: Save this post in your favorites. It is your bible.

http://forums.seochat.com/t1126/s.html
  9. Link Exchanges Welcomed!
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I also agree with everything said here. One point I would like to make is to not focus on general terms as you have mentioned. Focus on the niche. Focus on three word phrases first and eventually, the two word phrases will work themselves up on the rankings.

One thing not mentioned here. Get loads and loads of links. Go for 500 links (low to high PR) as this will prove to be the reason your optimization efforts will succeed or fail.

This answer applies to google only. Other engines don't rely so heavily on backlinks but more on the on-page optimization as mentioned above.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

in addition to all of the great advice already give, make sure your site is better than the competition. Offer more information. Have better photos. But most important, make sure it is VERY EASY for users to buy (or rent) through your site. Most categories that have 100s of sites competing have mostly crappy sites and a handful professionally designed, well thought out and highly usable sites. Make sure yours is one of the handful. you'll still have to follow all of the previous advice to drive traffic, but professionalism, quality and ease of use are keys to good conversion rates and may help get you into more directories more quickly.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

As a newbie to the SEO world Ė the best advice that I can give is to target keywords that are not very competitive first, especially if you are in a competitive industry.

Iíll be launching a website shortly. I researched my keywords for weeks. As it turns out (surprisingly) many keywords were either missed or for some reason not targeted by my competition.

Iím guess that (after research) I can get an easy 2000+ hits a months from them. Iíll call them my ďnicheĒ keywords. Iím sure there will be some good keywords in your industry also.

Once I rank well for these keywords and my link strategy is in full swing, Iíll target the more competitive words.
  15. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I would attack this differently.... First, Paris is a BIG city and I would optimize on the basis of an adjective such as studio, plus the geographic part of Paris where the apartments are located.

But if you are going kill an elephant get more out of it than one meal.... and get someone to help you.

I would build a website for the specific part of Paris where my apartments are and then get other folks in that area to trade links with me. Instead of having "A" site for apartments I would build "THE" site for apartments in that part of town.

This site would have much more than pics of bedrooms and front doors. I would have street photos and park photos and profies of things to do and where folks hang out. This info if done well will earn you links. Soon you will be authority and hub at once. And you will have enough power that you will be stomping everyone.

Then you have a model and a template and a reputation - turn your attention to the next neighborhoold and do the same thing. Then you will be all over the SERPs and those little sites stuck at #345 in the SERPs will pay for a listing on your site and you can sell classifieds to real estate and travel sites.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Wow,
    That's what I call a GOOD post. You have great vision EGOL and never cease to impress. I will use your wisdom towards other sites I have. Your signature says it all.
    Well CDX thats the best advice i've heard in a LONG time.... you should really take it to heart.