Thread: PHP and Google

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

PHP and Google

Ok at the moment I have around 1,000 static HTML pages, which I am thinkin of moving onto a MySQL database and dynamically controlled pages thru PHP.

What are the pitfalls with the search engines? I spend many hours per day, designing static pages, and it's getting to the point where it's not economically possible to continue to do this.

Does Google etc spider PHP? Should I save the files as HTML once they are generated in PHP?

I need as much info as possible before I move onto this, because at the moment traffic is good, and it's a busy time of the year!

Darren
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Google spiders php pages fine. Some things to consider when doing this are dynamic url strings - keep them short - www.blah.com?variable=something. google has a hard time spidering much more than that, although it can and does on occasion. also, avoid the use of session ids (which may not apply in your case, but just throwing it out there). Use mod_rewrite if necessary to get your urls in a simple format for google to spider.

the other thing i can thing of for you to consider is making sure your head tags (title, description) remain unique to the page after you go the dynamic route. you dont want to end up with the same tags on every page.

thats all i can think of for now.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Thanks Donna, that was very useful!!

Yes, I was told about session ID's is this where the URL is www.mydomain.com?id=232 or something along these lines?

What is mod_rewrite? Is it easy to do? I've got some experience of PHP but I am not familar with that.

What do I do to use mod_rewrite?
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I'm not the right person to help you with mod_rewrite, so i'll point you to http://www.sitepoint.com/article/910 . And then just do a search here on the forums or on google and you'll find tons of info about it. Basically it makes long dynamic urls search engine friendly.