1. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Penalties for Affiliate Links

I have a website that runs some affiliate links on select pages, only about 2 percent of all indexed pages have affiliate links on them. The ones that do have between 1-4 different affiliate links for the same product, (some albeit only have one) a type of compare and shop feature. My question is: at what point will Google penalise you for being a 'thin affiliate?' Thin affiliates are sites that only run links to one site, i.e. all pointing to amazon. I'm trying to figure out what the optimum balance is; I'm thinking I may be on the nono list despite my attempts to create comparison between affiliates..... Any thoughts would help.
  3. Domain Hatcher
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Link to .org and .edu sites to create a balance. Your A links should be minimal (found once or twice on an entire site). Use your internal URL links to point to the page that has the A link, that way you get a solid link credit to your site and google dose not see allot of A outbounds.

D

Comments on this post

• jrothra agrees : .org and especially .edu links are good.
  5. Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

djstreet - this document will provide you with the answer you are looking for.

http://www.searchbistro.com/spamguide.doc

pretty much it comes down to how much 'value-added' your site provides the user.
    It's been fun everyone... Time to leave for good. See this for more details.
  7. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by toddieg
    djstreet - this document will provide you with the answer you are looking for.

http://www.searchbistro.com/spamguide.doc

pretty much it comes down to how much 'value-added' your site provides the user.
    I've read this before, hence why I brought up the question, in that article it also says to minimize the internal linking as well. It seems this paper was for individuals manually checking sites, I"m wondering if they have to manually check me again to take me out of a 'penalty' situation, assuming I'm in one.
  9. Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

that paper was written for people who were evaluating google's algorithms for relevancy & quality. it got leaked out onto the net, after the discovery of google's 'secret labs' eval.google.com

there's more you can read about it on around these forums, and elsewhere on the net. there's even a video you can watch showing the split screen interface the evaluators were presented with.

as far as i know there are no manual reviews or manual penalties given by google. maybe only in a few cases... i think they let their algo's handle a bulk of the load.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

For those taht mentioned ".org" and ".edu" links:

- don't forget the ".gov" ones if you can achieve
  13. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by totalit#051
    For those taht mentioned ".org" and ".edu" links:

- don't forget the ".gov" ones if you can achieve

What's even more confusing, I have evidence that large and established sites can get away with only pointing to one affiliate. THis puts another variation to the 'how many affiliate links do you need in order to not be penalised'.